"300" kicks arse!

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1431630 said:
Gladiator is perhaps the worst 'Best Picture' winner in the last decade. Character development > that movie.
Nowhere did I say that Gladiator was a spectacular movie. And I really don't disagree with you (though Titanic and Crash were both pretty bad Best Picture winners, too...and BTW, I think Traffic should have beaten out Gladiator that year).

But there is no doubt that Gladiator trumps 300. Though the character development may have been subpar in Gladiator, it was nonexistent in 300. I find it hilarious that you keep bringing up one of the worst aspects of 300 to bash Gladiator.

And though the battle scenes were decent in 300, they were absolutely blown out of the water by recent movies with epic battle scenes (like the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy).

Was the 300 the worst movie I have ever seen? No, definitely not. The cinematography and things that they did with the blue screen were excellent. But it certainly wasn't a very good movie, either.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
13 year old boys? Get over yourself. You're not impressing anyone.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Did I like the movie yes or no?

My only requirement for a good movie. Leave all the other stuff too the critics......the real ones that get paid for it.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
eman721;1431614 said:
I was going to say the exact same thing to him.

Gladiator is so much better than 300 it isn't even funny. 300 was made for 13 year old boys with ADD who like to kill frogs and other small animals.

Sure, Gladiator was probably a better movie but it did lull in certain areas. 300 kept coming at you.

In fact, the 300 march off to war in the first half hour.

Both are good movies.

Look at that...I guess I'm 13 again! Woohoo!

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Aikmaniac;1431461 said:
Jett, I loved this movie as well.

I've seen it twice in less than a week.

My favorite scene is when

SPOILER BELOW

The camera focuses on Leonidas and goes from a fast to slow pace as he puts ten or more Persians down.

SPOILER ENDED

All in all, a great action-packed movie. Can't wait for the DVD in surround sound and cranking it up when Leonidas yells "THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA!"

Also, wouldn't it be great if on big 3rd downs during a Cowboys game the jumbotrons played the scene:

"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM...THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!"

Contact the Texas Stadium reps...make it happen.

That's a hell of an idea! I forget the one they're using now during games -- that should tell you all you need to know.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
tomson75;1432528 said:
I second the motion...

I love it when anonymous movie elitists try to show us how cultured they are:rolleyes:

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
tomson75;1432528 said:

peplaw06;1433639 said:
I second the motion...

I love it when anonymous movie elitists try to show us how cultured they are:rolleyes:
LOL, a little opinionated hyperbole gets panties all up in a bunch, I see. Lighten up, Francis(es).

(Yes, that is my best attempt at a plural form of Francis.)

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
http://i104.***BLOCKED***/albums/m198/z3t/Jengaaaa.gif

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1442684 said:
http://i104.***BLOCKED***/albums/m198/z3t/Jengaaaa.gif

hahaha, does any one have the picture of King leo. with his sheild blocking the rain? i can not find that picture for the life of me and i need it to make a sig.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's the same image your looking for, but at the movie website there's a wallpaper in the downloads section of Leonidas blocking the rain with his shield.

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

It's a larger version of this:

300.gif

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
adamknite;1442846 said:
Tmnt > 300

:D

OK, I'm a huge TMNT fan, but there is no way, no how, that movie bests 300. I'm not sure it even eclipses the original TMNT. Sorry, try again. Not even close. IMHO.

adamknite

Reaction score
tomson75;1442854 said:
OK, I'm a huge TMNT fan, but there is no way, no how, that movie bests 300. I'm not sure it even eclipses the original TMNT. Sorry, try again. Not even close. IMHO.

Just saying things to get a reaction, and you fell into my little trap. :D

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Before I watched 300, I heard about 10 different people rave about how great it was. And reading this thread, you'd think the movie was better than sex.

Strangely, I didn't think it was that great. Good movie, great special effects, entertaining, and the soundtrack was amazing. But it was also a little over the top. And the battle scenes didn't even compare to Braveheart.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;1442917 said:
Before I watched 300, I heard about 10 different people rave about how great it was. And reading this thread, you'd think the movie was better than sex.

Strangely, I didn't think it was that great. Good movie, great special effects, entertaining, and the soundtrack was amazing. But it was also a little over the top. And the battle scenes didn't even compare to Braveheart.

Funny, that was the one part of the movie I found unappealing...some of those tracks just didn't seem to fit to me.

...and you should rewatch Braveheart. I think you'll find that, while entirely entertaining, those battle scenes are'nt nearly as well choreographed as you thought they were in 1995. I think Braveheart is the better movie overall...but I wouldn't argue that those battle scenes were better...IMO.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
tomson75;1442940 said:
Funny, that was the one part of the movie I found unappealing...some of those tracks just didn't seem to fit to me.

I thought the music fit really well. And another thing... I think 300 is a movie best served in a theatre. I don't think people would like it as much if they simply rented it. You really need to have a large screen, and an impressive sound system to enjoy that movie IMO.

tomson75;1442940 said:
...and you should rewatch Braveheart. I think you'll find that, while entirely entertaining, those battle scenes are'nt nearly as well choreographed as you thought they were in 1995. I think Braveheart is the better movie overall...but I wouldn't argue that those battle scenes were better...IMO.

You're probably right. I haven't watched Braveheart in years. But I do remember being blown away by it (both the movie itself, and the battle scenes). That wasn't really the case with 300 though.

Actually, now that I think about it... Saving Private Ryan might have had the best battle scenes of any movie I'd ever watched. JMO.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;1442971 said:
I thought the music fit really well. And another thing... I think 300 is a movie best served in a theatre. I don't think people would like it as much if they simply rented it. You really need to have a large screen, and an impressive sound system to enjoy that movie IMO.

You're probably right. I haven't watched Braveheart in years. But I do remember being blown away by it (both the movie itself, and the battle scenes). That wasn't really the case with 300 though.

Actually, now that I think about it... Saving Private Ryan might have had the best battle scenes of any movie I'd ever watched. JMO.

You're definitely right about the theatre...thought this may be true with most movies, its moreso with these epic types of films. A serious home theatre with THX quality components suffices nicely though...add a steak and a beer and I'm in heaven.

I like 300 more for the artistic qualites of the movie. I remember thinking how badarse many of the lanscapes, creatures, and costumes looked. It has a very staggering feeling to it for me.

Braveheart, on the other hand, I found to be a much more personal movie. I didn't experience near the range of emotion watching 300 that i did with Braveheart...or Saving Private Ryan for that matter. All three are terrific films for differing reasons. SPR is probably one of my top five favorites of all time. Tom Hanks is, IMO, the best actor of his generation.