"Agenda"?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I dunno, Zaxor..the word only holds the power we give it..the real power is the idea, concept, or referent behind the word.

I'm gonna git me one of dem 'agenduhs' tho.

Gotta be a QBin' one too.

How's this:

Crayton for QB? :)

Be on the look out for my posts....I'll manage to get it in somehow. :)

Point made...

but do words not have the power to move or sway a person?

here is a small sample of a poem/story thingy I was writing

many are the sailor bones
that lie among the rocks and stones
came to close to Lauralee
and there were drowned by the sea

----

Swords they sing and than they bite
through blackest day and darkest night
foes of Tyr bow down low
and beg for mercy ere we go

in the first example I had hoped to give a sense of (or sway the reader into) hopelessness and despair each word building on the next or again atleast I had hoped so that by the time the word "sea" was read to the reader it would sound like doom thus causing a movement in the reader

in the second example which is a little faster again I had hoped that each word built upon the last one so that by the time the word "bite" was read that the reader might flinch...if successful it did it by itself without the reader conciously granting it and there again using words to malipulate the reader

If they do not convey what I claimed... it could be that the scene and mood has not yet been set or that my writing just plain sucks:) which is a distinct possibility... but having the pleasure of dancing to the rythme of a good story is only possible if the words can call forth the music..

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Point made...

but do words not have the power to move or sway a person?

here is a small sample of a poem/story thingy I was writing

many are the sailor bones
that lie among the rocks and stones
came to close to Lauralee
and there were drowned by the sea

----

Swords they sing and than they bite
foes of Tyr bow down low

in the first example I had hoped to give a sense of (or sway the reader into) hopelessness and despair each word building on the next or again atleast I had hoped so that by the time the word "sea" was read to the reader it would sound like doom thus causing a movement in the reader

in the second example which is a little faster again I had hoped that each word built upon the last one so that by the time the word "bite" was read that the reader might flinch...if successful it did it by itself without the reader conciously granting it and there again using words to malipulate the reader

If they do not convey what I claimed... it could be that the scene and mood has not yet been set or that my writing just plain sucks:) which is a distinct possibility... but having the pleasure of dancing to the rythme of a good story is only possible if the words can call forth the music..

Words of course have the ability to evoke the power of the refererent...and poetry in particular, as that is the literary genre that most expressively uses connotation, as well as denotation. Everyone is going to read your poem and interpret it in two ways..on a more literal level, and another on which each reader will bring his/her 'feelings' about the word and the way you combined them.

The line I really like is the 'swords singing and then biting' one.....

whether 'sword' is used to denote exclusively the weapon or extended to represent a duel, a competition, a struggle, or the very art of warfare.

Do more..

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
<here the main character reflects back on better times>

Remember the soft autumn breeze
as it swirled over the land with a graceful ease
lost in your beauty so fair
how I wanted to stay right there

well we moved on through the better part of the night
and walked through the soft moonlight
the clean crisp sounds in the air
as the wind moved wisps of your hair

again this is probably not enough to sway you (the reader) into the mood I wished to reflect but I tried to keep the same rythme...the power of a deep rooted love is not as easy to bring across as it would appear at first glance and requires a much slower and graceful flowing of the words as this dance is slow and not rock and roll

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Sounds like your writing an 'epic' poem, Zaxor.

Now there's a lost art.

You certainly have caught the sense of not just a deep love, but a long-standing one.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Sounds like your writing an 'epic' poem, Zaxor.

Now there's a lost art.

You certainly have caught the sense of not just a deep love, but a long-standing one.

thanks but I believe I will be long in the grave before it will be finished...

I have puzzled over a few lines of text for years... and wound up close to where I had original started and am still not together overly pleased with them

this project is indeed epic....:) as it has been in the works for over 15 years:eek: and I would say about 15% completed...:( 1% a year is not good but as I do not plan on having it published it matters little... I really appreciate the critique... though I knew you are far too kind to say harsh words over it

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I thought I would perhaps be so bold as to finish the little of the swords work that you liked

....the gathering of the storm.....

TO ARMS

Ride Swords of Justice and right the wrongs
all shall be written in deeds and songs
we go into dark to bring the light
and vaquish the evil with righteous might

For swords they sing and then they bite
foes of Tyr bow down low

the shadow can not shall not prevail
just as the flower weather storm and gail
curse our enemy and damn them all
our deed not over until they fall

for swords they sing and then they bite
foes of Tyr bown down low

Tyr is just, Faith is might
Nobel and righteous is the fight
ever onward and onward we now go
and venture were the cock won't crow

Swords they sing and they they bite
foes of Tyr bow down low

......off to war......

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zaxor said:
I thought I would perhaps be so bold as to finish the little of the swords work that you liked

TO ARMS

foes of Tyr bow down low

foes of Tyr bow down low

......off to war......

Nice work Zaxor, I really enjoyed that.

There might be a part of you that wants it to be compared to great works by homer or other writers but to be honest it reminds me SOMEwhat of lyrics by Dio.

Now that may be taken as an insult but since I really like dio's work a great deal it is meant as a compliment. :)

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know there has been many things said about the word agenda...whether it is the correct word to use, whether it is a matter of semantics.

However I would like to know a better word for what some posters do when concerning thier views on some topics.

Sure there are plenty of posters who only have opinions about a person, player, system or so on that get labled with agendas....but let us be brutally honest and say there are also some posters that have nothing in mind but to feed their ego and make sure to downplay one player or argument only to enrich their own to the point that they will completely look foolish in doing so.

Not sure what other word would fit better then agenda...here are some words or groups of words maybe...

MO (modus operandi)
Ulterior motives
Sensationalize
Mellodramatic
Exaggeration
misreprensentation
Delusional
Propaganda

Maybe Partisan is the better word.

It seems to me however agenda is the proper word as it is used today.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I thank you my friend...being compared to anyone or anything for that matter (outside of dog exhaust) is a greater honor than I deserve:eek::

and I am glad it brought you some enjoyment :)

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I'm getting really sick of the term "agenda" but at least it appears to have knocked off the creepy phrase "man-love" as the most overused term on the board. So I view it as addition by subtraction.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
I'm getting really sick of the term "agenda" but at least it appears to have knocked off the creepy phrase "man-love" as the most overused term on the board. So I view it as addition by subtraction.

how does "man-love agenda" work for you... :D

jem88

Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
The most annoying one was "you are what you are". Anyways, my only agenda is getting you guys to show Ike Holt a little respect. It amazes me how quickly most of you have forgotten his greatness.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Nice post ... and I agree ... the people who use the word agenda the most ... also hate it the most when it is applied to them ...

It's just a fluff word though that people say when they can't make any other point ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
jterrell said:
OH,
I absolutely agree.
Anyone uttering agenda usually has a difference of opinion w/ the person they claim has this "agenda".

I feel very insulted when someone claims to know what I think or feel beyond what I have stated plainly.

Anyone uttering agenda really needs to check their ego and realize differences of opinion do not make it an agenda. We all have views and make arguments to support them. Some can not ever let go of any argument and beat it to death but it doesn't make it any more an agenda than the folks of opposite opinion carrying on each thread just as doggedly.

If you think someone has an agenda the best thing to do is to ignore them period. Why promote their "agenda"?? You wouldn't of course do that if you were really thinking it through so it's probably just hollow talk and cheap shots meant to continue a long winded debate that neither side has any desire to see go away.

Man, you just say it better than I could have ... nice post ... again ...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Zaxor said:

TO ARMS

foes of Tyr bow down low

foes of Tyr bow down low

......off to war......
I will save all the long-winded literary criticism.. but the imagery is compelling, Zaxor.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I will save all the long-winded literary criticism.. but the imagery is compelling, Zaxor.

That is a very nice way to say you did not like it:) but that is okay...there are parts I would like to tweak and like I said many things I am not happy with...the problem lies sometimes with length...if it gets too long-winded it may bore the reader too short and not enough information...too many repeated thoughts said too many different ways all are just critisims... I would like the dance to flow from one word/phrase to the next... but too often thoughts are either rambles or repeats said slightly different... I lack sometimes the vocabulary skills or sometimes the vision... but it still is sometimes a frustrating joy to try and write

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zaxor said:
That is a very nice way to say you did not like it:) but that is okay...there are parts I would like to tweak and like I said many things I am not happy with...the problem lies sometimes with length...if it gets too long-winded it may bore the reader too short and not enough information...too many repeated thoughts said too many different ways all are just critisims... I would like the dance to flow from one word/phrase to the next... but too often thoughts are either rambles or repeats said slightly different... I lack sometimes the vocabulary skills or sometimes the vision... but it still is sometimes a frustrating joy to try and write

*pssst*

*hint/advice*

Next time slip in the name Terry Glenn, Canty, Woodson or Bill Parcells...then watch her trip over herself giving you a great review. ;) :p:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
*pssst*

*hint/advice*

Next time slip in the name Terry Glenn, Canty, Woodson or Bill Parcells...then watch her trip over herself giving you a great review. ;) :p:

Do you mean THE Terry Glenn
she with the speed to spend

or Tall old Canty
who the coach seems to think can be

or old Darren Woodson
who would have liked to stay if he could some

or do you mean Bill Parcells
whos real name is duane but no one can tell

:lmao2:

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zaxor said:
Do you mean THE Terry Glenn
she with the speed to spend

or Tall old Canty
who the coach seems to think can be

or old Darren Woodson
who would have liked to stay if he could some

or do you mean Bill Parcells
whos real name is duane but no one can tell

:lmao2:

If you get gushing reviews and lusty PMs...remember to thank your old buddy BP. :laugh2:

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Zaxor said:

LOL!

No, that is NOT a very nice way to say I didn't like it.

Just for that, as soon as I get my car inspected. I'm going to come back here and take it part line by line, word by word - a process that I have been told makes someone never want to pick up a pen again.