"nay"-sayers, Let's take a look at 1st round WRs

Verdict

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;2348957 said:
11 out of the 37 listed, I would consider pretty good.
WR in 1st round is a total crap shoot.

At least with Williams we know we have a pretty good WR at this level.

Out of the 11 receivers that you identify as being "pretty good" there are at least a few of those 11 that wouldn't rate a first round pick even knowing what they are at this point.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
bbgun;2348900 said:
Adding WR Williams not Cowboys’ smartest move
By Mike Florio - SportingNews

Starting with the moment in which Sean Morey mangled Mat McBriar’s foot on the last play of that overtime loss to the Cardinals, the Dallas Cowboys embarked on the worst 48 hours that the franchise ever has experienced.

McBriar? Gone for the year. Tony Romo? Broken pinkie. Felix Jones? Strained hamstring. Sam Hurd? Out for the year. Adam “Pacman” Jones? Suspended for at least a month. Terrell Owens? Still an idiot.

I discontinued reading right there. Owens didn't do, or say, anything to be placed into a list of 'bad things' to happen within 48 hours of the loss and yet, as usual, a talentless, hack, of a reporter decided they'd just take a shot at him for no other reason than being able to run to the bar after work and high fiving his other pocket protector wearing buddies and saying, 'Did you see how I schooled Owens in my article today! Man I TOTALLY got him.'

Guys like this, and sadly the majority of the sports media now days, are the equivelent of those teenage punks who don't like certain UFC fighters, or boxers, or whatever, and so when they see them walking down the street they run to the otherside and then, while not looking the way of said fighter, yell something like "You suck." and then run home as quick as possible to jump on message boards and tell everyone how macho they were for standing up to this person and telling them they suck.

Pathetic.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Temo;2348720 said:
Just a short list of all other Round 1 players I'd rather have than Terrence Newman:

Terrel Suggs
Troy Polamalu
Kevin Williams
Nnamdi Asomugha

Only one there I may agree with would be Nnamdi Asomugha. It's easy to say AFTER the draft and AFTER several years of playing in the NFL "who I would have taken." That WR list shows about 85% of them didn't do very much in their career. It would be interesting to know how many of them made the pro bowl after 2002.

Spectre

Reaction score
Temo;2348670 said:
Out of thsoe 37 picks, I see 22 busts. That's a "not a bust" success rate of 40.5%
1st round picks have to do more than just "not bust", especially to meet the expectations of those against the RW trade.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Walker;2348994 said:
Only one there I may agree with would be Nnamdi Asomugha. It's easy to say AFTER the draft and AFTER several years of playing in the NFL "who I would have taken." That WR list shows about 85% of them didn't do very much in their career. It would be interesting to know how many of them made the pro bowl after 2002.

I agree that Nnamdi is the only one I agree with and that is based soley on the fact that we needed a corner at the time and I'm not basing the merits of what Newman, a darn good corner, brings to the table compared to a DE or a DT.

Also was everyone else on that list drafted the same year as Newman? If not, and I'm honestly not sure that they were, comparing who you'd rather have had then Newman in the first round of drafts OTHER than the year Newman was drafted in the first round would be absolutely pointless.

Spectre

Reaction score
Boysboy;2348805 said:
Holmes has turned out to be outstanding for Pitt-however, my big gripe over the Carp pick was that we SHOULD have drafted that stud DB Cromartie instead.

White has turned out to be very good-the big reason why he didn't play well early on was b/c Mike Vick was an incompetent ****. Since he left, those Falcon receivers are no longer dropping balls et al. It's no coincidence.

BTW-great job on the list, Spectre.
thanks

now have you fianlly warmed up to the RW trade idea, now that it's happened?

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Verdict;2348970 said:
Out of the 11 receivers that you identify as being "pretty good" there are at least a few of those 11 that wouldn't rate a first round pick even knowing what they are at this point.

I would generally agree with that statement. Who you think wouldn't rate ast a 1st rounder?

Boysboy

Reaction score
bbgun;2348900 said:
Adding WR Williams not Cowboys’ smartest move
By Mike Florio - SportingNews

Starting with the moment in which Sean Morey mangled Mat McBriar’s foot on the last play of that overtime loss to the Cardinals, the Dallas Cowboys embarked on the worst 48 hours that the franchise ever has experienced.

McBriar? Gone for the year. Tony Romo? Broken pinkie. Felix Jones? Strained hamstring. Sam Hurd? Out for the year. Adam “Pacman” Jones? Suspended for at least a month. Terrell Owens? Still an idiot.

So it’s hard not to conclude that owner Jerry Jones set his sights on receiver Roy Williams in part to reverse the flow of bad news, regardless of the cost.

And the cost was significant. In addition to a five-year, $45 million contract with $20 million guaranteed, the Cowboys also gave up a first-round pick, a third-round pick, and a sixth-round pick.

Hey, at least the Lions threw in a seventh-round pick, which apparently was intended to create the perception of level scales.

The Cowboys gave up too much. Williams isn’t a superstar. He’s good, but he’s not worth a one, a three, and a six (minus a seven). If Williams had finished the year in Detroit and the Lions had applied the franchise tag, a first-round pick at most would have been the price.

But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants to christen that new stadium not with a bottle of Dom Perignon (or a whole bunch of Mums) but with a Vince Lombardi Trophy. And so Jones is willing to give up a couple of extra picks if it enhances his chances of making it happen.

To the extent Jones thinks that a clear connection exists between adding Williams and winning a championship, Jones might want to think again. The last time we checked, the offense still uses only one ball. And the Cowboys already have T.O. and Jason Witten and Marion Barber and Felix Jones to clamor for it.

While the Colts have managed a similar situation without incident, none of Indy’s various highly-skilled skill-position players get testy when they aren’t getting enough attention. Guys like Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Dallas Clark realize that in some games the ball will come their way and that, in others, it won’t.

T.O. has yet to master the ability to take a backseat to other players. Sure, he can say that he’s not bothered by Williams’ new $9-million annual average (which matches Owens’ yearly take), but only because Owens thinks that this boost to the passing game will result in more footballs flying in his direction. When opposing defenses continue to focus on taking T.O. out of the game plan and Williams ends up with eight catches for 130 yards, Owens might be singing (or crying) a far different tune.

Besides, if the Cowboys needed another receiver, why didn’t they make a play for Anquan Boldin? Or Chad Johnson? Or T.J. Houshmandzadeh? Each, in my view, is better than Williams.

The reality is they didn’t need another receiver. Patrick Crayton has been solid, and Witten has been putting up wideout numbers. With Pacman and Terrence Newman each gone for a month (Pacman possibly even longer), the Cowboys would have been wiser to make a play for cornerback Lito Sheppard. (Though the Cowboys and Eagles are in the same division and thus possibly not inclined to make trades, they’ve done business in the past, as recently as last year.)

If Jones acquired Williams in an effort to shake things up and focus the team on winning more games than it loses, the better approach would have been to dump that glorified defensive coordinator serving as the team’s head coach. Everyone knows Wade Phillips really doesn’t have any juice; why not drop the charade and give the whistle to Jason Garrett?

OK, so that probably would have been a bad idea.

But no worse than mortgaging next year’s draft and paying $9 million per year to an overhyped receiver who’ll only put more pressure on the Dallas offense.

IF the Eagles had gotten him instead, their boy Florio would be chanting "Eagles to the Super Bowl! Eagles to the Super Bowl!".

Bad for for Dallas? Right.............:laugh1:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Boysboy;2348805 said:
Holmes has turned out to be outstanding for Pitt-however, my big gripe over the Carp pick was that we SHOULD have drafted that stud DB Cromartie instead.

White has turned out to be very good-the big reason why he didn't play well early on was b/c Mike Vick was an incompetent ****. Since he left, those Falcon receivers are no longer dropping balls et al. It's no coincidence.

BTW-great job on the list, Spectre.

You were absolutely saying Cromartie back then? I'm not saying you weren't but for some reason I doubt, very seriously, that anyone around here had any clue that Cromartie would turn out as good as he did. In fact I doubt he made much a blip on anyones radar.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Unfortunately the people who are doing the drafting don't get the benefit of seeing 3 years into the future to know what every pick will have done.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Spectre;2349018 said:
thanks

now have you fianlly warmed up to the RW trade idea, now that it's happened?

You're welcome

Like I said-I'm one of those "keep our your draft picks b/c they're your future" kind of guy...

But like I said too-Owens is getting long in the tooth, our other receivers are nothing more than slot guys(very good ones, but that's IT), and there's really noone in the draft next year that can give us an immediate impact.

So to answer your question-absolutely, positively YES b/c in addition, Roy is in his prime, and we finally have a long-term franchise WR. It's not like we traded away picks for some guy who only has 1-2 years of value left.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2349035 said:
You were absolutely saying Cromartie back then? I'm not saying you weren't but for some reason I doubt, very seriously, that anyone around here had any clue that Cromartie would turn out as good as he did. In fact I doubt he made much a blip on anyones radar.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Unfortunately the people who are doing the drafting don't get the benefit of seeing 3 years into the future to know what every pick will have done.

I agree. Cromartie looks like the smart choice now, but alot of teams wish they took him back then too.

I never got the Carp pick though. I assume he was supposed to be the guy who unseated Aydole?

Boysboy

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2349035 said:

I knew Carp wasn't 1st day material even BEFORE the draft started.

Other than WR, we had other areas of need-so pretty much anyone ELSE would have been a significant upgrade over Carp.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;2349045 said:
I agree. Cromartie looks like the smart choice now, but alot of teams wish they took him back then too.

I never got the Carp pick though. I assume he was supposed to be the guy who unseated Aydole?

Quite simply-his dad played under Parcells in NY. Somehow-b/c his dad was one of "Parcells guys", Tuna somehow thought his son would be the same?:confused:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
sk0aL;2348665 said:
I never bought into the whole notion that BP made this team what it is.

You have to remember, BP didn't want to keep Romo around. BP didn't want T.O. BP didn't want Newman. The only players that BP got that have had an impact are Ware and MB3.

Let's take a loot at some of Tuna's dandies:

Bobby Carpenter
Anthony Fasano
Skyler Green
Rob Petitti
Zuriel Smith
Jacques Reeves
Montavious Stanley
Justin Beriault
Jacob Rogers
B.J. Tucker

Well, to be fair a lot on that list are late rounders.

I do believe BP made the team. Well, all but a few pieces. The list of his good acquisitions is pretty big.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Temo;2348720 said:
Just a short list of all other Round 1 players I'd rather have than Terrence Newman:

Terrel Suggs
Troy Polamalu
Kevin Williams
Nnamdi Asomugha

Its always nice to go back and pick and chose the guys who have worked out isn't it?

Personally, I wouldn't take a single one of them over Newman. Well, maybe Polamalu but the others can get bent.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2348202 said:
i am content with the trade.......Go Cowboys!

:starspin So am I, now...let's put him to good use and get some in the "W" column.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Walker;2348994 said:

Kevin Williams was the player Parcells was trying to trade down for but couldn't, and he would be an absolute stud in this defense. He's one of the best DTs in the league and I would definitely take him over Newman simply because linemen like him are hard to find.

MONT17

Reaction score
Can I ask why would anyone think the Cowboys and all of Jerrys wisdom draft a WR in the first round? The Cowboys haven't drafted a WR in the first round in decades. I'm sure Jerry would save the pick n buy a WR in free agency. But have fun with this topic anyway!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Nors;2348232 said:
Roy #11 at #7 overall a failure all in all in Detroit. But thats Millens MO in drafting bust WR's year after year after year after year.

New GM unloading wisely.

Bust? Not even close.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
MONT17;2349238 said:
Can I ask why would anyone think the Cowboys and all of Jerrys wisdom draft a WR in the first round? The Cowboys haven't drafted a WR in the first round in decades. I'm sure Jerry would save the pick n buy a WR in free agency. But have fun with this topic anyway!

I think he may have. It really depends on what's on the board when you're number comes up. You just cannot predict who's going when and where after a few picks if then.

We had one offensive hole. WR. I think if we still had that pick they would look very hard at trading up and esp down to get an appropriate WR if possible. And in the unlikely event one was there in the first then they would likely pull the trigger. Of course if a pass rusher or other outstanding player was there then......just no way to know.

I do agree that Jerry by design tries to stay away for first round WRs unless they are an Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson type etc. I agree it would be more likely than not we went somewhere else.

I don't even understand all the oopla. You get your only offensive hole filled by someone who will be there for years and get him for ten+ games before the draft next year. And that draft choice is as risk free as it gets if you insert RWR in that slot.

I do agree you can't ignore the 3rd or the 6th but to offset that is the fact this is a very talented team which is going to be a problem breaking into the 53 by all rookies. I will agree you don't normally dump a 3 though.

It's not all one sided but this was a very good deal for both teams IMO.