Quote from Garretts monday press conference

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There was that too but Murray stunk. Dunbar in one run got 12 yards in one carry behind the same line. If Murray wants the ball more run to the holes we're gonna pass on 2nd and 10

Well, I don't dispute that we could have used more speed to try and expose the KC defense. The problem is that you can't trust Dunbar to take care of the ball. Yeah, he got 12 yards but he also coughed the ball up again. You can't have a guy on the field if he can't take care of the ball. Murray is different, for him to be effective, he needs to have more carries because he's going to be effective in the 4th quarter. We needed to pound the KC front 7. We didn't do that and as a result, we saw the field shrink on us. We saw Safeties playing tight and LBs blitzing.

Remember, Murray is the same guy who ran down Mundy to make a game saving tackle on a certain TD off of Romo's INT against the Giants. If not for that tackle, we are 0-2 right now.

Murray is who we have.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This same back had 20 carries for 86 yards and a 4.2 YPC against the Giants. It's not Murray IMO. When he has room, he runs hard and picks up yards. We simply didn't get a lot of push against KC. I will be interested in seeing how the OL grades out in this game.

I agree to a certain extent. Bern... The Beard... Leary... Not a good showing.

The tackles were good.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Well, I don't dispute that we could have used more speed to try and expose the KC defense. The problem is that you can't trust Dunbar to take care of the ball. Yeah, he got 12 yards but he also coughed the ball up again. You can't have a guy on the field if he can't take care of the ball. Murray is different, for him to be effective, he needs to have more carries because he's going to be effective in the 4th quarter. We needed to pound the KC front 7. We didn't do that and as a result, we saw the field shrink on us. We saw Safeties playing tight and LBs blitzing.

Remember, Murray is the same guy who ran down Mundy to make a game saving tackle on a certain TD off of Romo's INT against the Giants. If not for that tackle, we are 0-2 right now.

Murray is who we have.

Good points. I agree we need to run more.

Reaction score
I get tired of the "we need to run MORE" statement,,, fact is we need to run BETTER. The running game looks horrible so running more only kills more drives. If they fixed the running game so that they ran better then running more would be a good thing.

Honestly, everything looked pretty dysfunctional yesterday.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Tfred got an early education vs Poe. Leary is still learning too. And Waters only played 4 possessions. So we should improve

This is the thing. Once Waters is up to speed and Leary and Fredbeard get more and more playing time, we are going to get better in the run game. That's a really powerful interior line. We just aren't there yet and we played a very good 34. I mean, I know it's early but as of now, KC is ranked 4th in the NFL defensively and 2nd against the run.

We'll get better but we need more time. In the mean time, we can't do things to kill ourselves.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I get tired of the "we need to run MORE" statement,,, fact is we need to run BETTER. The running game looks horrible so running more only kills more drives. If they fixed the running game so that they ran better then running more would be a good thing.

Honestly, everything looked pretty dysfunctional yesterday.

This is not entirely true. Their is an element of physicality associated with power running teams that does take it's tool the more you run and the later the game gets.

I agree that a lot of it is how well you can run but that's not all of it.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I don't care who is at fault. This is a team. Fix it. Coaches you coach. Players you play. Get it worked out & let's get to winning.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
:mad:
This is the thing. Once Waters is up to speed and Leary and Fredbeard get more and more playing time, we are going to get better in the run game. That's a really powerful interior line. We just aren't there yet and we played a very good 34. I mean, I know it's early but as of now, KC is ranked 4th in the NFL defensively and 2nd against the run.

We'll get better but we need more time. In the mean time, we can't do things to kill ourselves.
Good thing we'll be using that power to run zone stretches.

Hoov

Reaction score

People still dont want to accept that KC is as good as they are. Andy Reid fell into a dream situation. They were set with solid starters at probably 70% of their starting 22. They had the overall first pick in the draft and were able to get aveteran QB in Alex Smith who was leading the 49ers to a great start before injury.

Andy Reid is a good coach. I think KC enters the playoff as a 5 seed because they are in the division with Denver, but i think they will advance to the divisional round - where they will probably lose to.... denver.

Reaction score
This is not entirely true. Their is an element of physicality associated with power running teams that does take it's tool the more you run and the later the game gets.

I agree that a lot of it is how well you can run but that's not all of it.

I understand that logic but it's flawed in that unsuccessful running kills the drive and therefore allows the other defense to get off the field and rest. Sustained drives will tire out a defense whereas a game full of three and out runs will not.

kevm3

Reaction score
Why is it that all of these underperforming teams can turn the corner to greatness the next year, but somehow we never do? San Fran, Seattle and now Kansas. Hm I think coaching has a lot to do with it.

silver

Reaction score
they need to start taking ownership of what's going on. It seems it's nobody's fault. there's no accountability here. it's been that way ever since wade left. he blamed himself for everything which also was phony as crap IMO.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
I understand that logic but it's flawed in that unsuccessful running kills the drive and therefore allows the other defense to get off the field and rest. Sustained drives will tire out a defense whereas a game full of three and out runs will not.

The running in the 2nd half was starting to get better but then we just abandoned it after the 3rd quarter. Our last run for the game, was a 2yard gain but it was for a 1st down. Before that we had Murray run for 0,3, and 4 yards and Dunbar with his 1 run for a 12 yard gain

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Why is it that all of these underperforming teams can turn the corner to greatness the next year, but somehow we never do? San Fran, Seattle and now Kansas. Hm I think coaching has a lot to do with it.

I'm not sure KC is great but I get your point.

I think right now, just starting the season, the Broncos will beat them easily for that division. But they are definitely improved.

mrmojo

Reaction score
People still dont want to accept that KC is as good as they are. Andy Reid fell into a dream situation. They were set with solid starters at probably 70% of their starting 22. They had the overall first pick in the draft and were able to get aveteran QB in Alex Smith who was leading the 49ers to a great start before injury.

Andy Reid is a good coach. I think KC enters the playoff as a 5 seed because they are in the division with Denver, but i think they will advance to the divisional round - where they will probably lose to.... denver.
I love Andy Reid, I wish the timing was right for the Cowboys to have picked him up. It seems everyone else is turning things around except us, maybe our time is coming but it sure is frustrating waiting for that day. I think that is why some fans are so frustrated, because they want to see positive signs that we are headed in the right direction and with the first two games it's just not showing on offense.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jason Garrett is the most useless coach this team has ever had... The illusion of his potential greatness has done more damage to this team than Dave Campo...

Every head coach in the history of this franchise has taken the team to the playoffs except for Dave Campo and Jason Garrett.

Campo had Quincy Carter and Troy Hamberick.

Garrett has Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Demarco Murray............and a stud LT.

Just saying.