News: Rams and Kupp agree to $80M extension

kskboys

Reaction score
kicking the can down the road its working now but who knows later..they decided to ignore all warnings of future disaster. we will find out iof it works one SB is nice but if they dotn go oin run sismar to KC but weven better even KC and TB findigout oits hard to get to and win multiple SBS. TB tried bringing back all 22 and they didnt even get back to the NFCCG with the same team and coahes.
It worked w/ the Cowboys and the Niners.

Here's the problem. To successfully kick the can down the road, your team must already be super bowl contenders.

coult44

Reaction score
What does that have to do with what I said?

They build their team differently than we do. If they are wrong on any of their high-priced additions, they are done. The lifeblood of your team is the draft and they didn't have one this year.

Again we disagree. According to many around here the Cowboys are in the top 5 drafting teams in the NFL for the last decade. WTBS, what do they have to show for it? The lifeblood is being smart in FA. Look at the last 5-7 super bowl winners. All of the Their drafts are meh, with a good kick every here and there. But look at their FA moves. They are all superior to the rest of the NFL with the big time FA seasons.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, what's the alternative? Remember the crazy crap Jerry did? It's like he's a little kid playing a video game. You would think his son might be better at it.
For them? There is no alternative. They simply keep failing because they have no idea what they are doing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This 100%.

The Cowboys have not taken the QB position seriously since Aikman.

They've hitched their wagons to 4th round/undrafted talented thinking they found the next Tom Brady because they overachieved a little.
I’m not even sure they believe they are the next Brady. They just see they are enough for them to sell and hype providing hope .

I think it’s part of why they hang on to Star talent too long and over pay cause they don’t trust who the next guy they find could be. It’s like when they luck into anything they latch onto it as long as they can.

And why we need real football people who invest 100% of their time to football without any side distractions of promoting the brand.

blueblood70

Reaction score
another troll posts started to just do more Cowboy Bashing ..this is why off topic non cowboy related nonsense doesn't belong in the front page its just to troll.. some truly horrible fans really all they do is bas the very team they claim to be fan of..:facepalm:o_O

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
All I know is if Dallas paid a WR that much we would have fans screaming over paid. A couple weeks a go we had a thread about how many WR coming out of college make a big impact right away and left many saying why pay that much on WR? I get it people will always look at last years champ and claim this is how you do it, this is the blue print only problem the vast majority of the time the same team does not make it back to the SB so then the next winner becomes the blue print.
If we resigned our record setting, Super Bowl MVP WR to a big contract while opening up space to sign other guys on top of it. I doubt anybody would complain much. Especially since they were able to keep (Donald) and add (Wagnor) with the possibly to resign guys (OBJ). They know what their doing and it's paying off. Who cares if they don't win the Super Bowl next year? It already got them the ultimate prize.

We complain because we try to break the bank for guys like Randy Gregory or Jaylon Smith.

I 100% believe Jerry would rather win 8 or 9 games a year, with a division win sprinkled in, always staying right around the cusp of being a playoff caliber team over putting all your chips in the middle a winning 1 Super Bowl in say a 4 year window.

The reason Cowboys fans complain is because our FO don't seem to have a clue about how to build a real contender.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I advocate for anything that's different that what we've done for the past 26 years.

It's past time for a new approach. Jerry's way has proven to not work.
Well you should be a bit more optimistic. Whether by design or more probable accident (ie Gregory), we are doing away with paying good players elite money and relying on the recent draftee's to see what we've got.... hopefully some will prove themselves, others will fail, but with spare CAP we can seek to address that at the deadline.
The problem is that at this point in time there are too many imponderables that could go either way.

Flamma

Reaction score
For them? There is no alternative. They simply keep failing because they have no idea what they are doing.

Yes. What I am about to say I said only once before. I don't like saying this because it's insulting to ownership and who am I? But the Cowboys off season approach reminds me of someone given this task that doesn't know what they're doing. Like if they told me to do it, or my wife. What would she do? I don't want to screw things up, I'll take the safe route. I'll just draft when my picks come up. I'm certainly not going to get into high paid free agents, I don't know what I'm doing. I'm not going to be active in the draft trading up or back too much, same reason. Fear of screwing something up.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m not even sure they believe they are the next Brady. They just see they are enough for them to sell and hype providing hope .

I think it’s part of why they hang on to Star talent too long and over pay cause they don’t trust who the next guy they find could be. It’s like when they luck into anything they latch onto it as long as they can.

And why we need real football people who invest 100% of their time to football without any side distractions of promoting the brand.
Yeah, their thought processes don't even go that far.

Reminds me of a lot of fans who scream "WE WON, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS"!!!

Well, to a fan that is true, that's all that matters. However, a GM absolutely cannot afford to think that way. Problem is, that is exactly the way Jerry thinks. A true GM evaluates the team and tries to figure out how to get better no matter what. Jerry does not. He truly sees the 12-5 record and thinks we lost in the playoffs due to bad luck, or bad officiating, or maybe because someone was injured. He actually buys into all the excuses we see here on the boards, believes them heart and soul.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Well you should be a bit more optimistic. Whether by design or more probable accident (ie Gregory), we are doing away with paying good players elite money and relying on the recent draftee's to see what we've got.... hopefully some will prove themselves, others will fail, but with spare CAP we can seek to address that at the deadline.
The problem is that at this point in time there are too many imponderables that could go either way.
I don't consider Gregory saving Jerry from himself a win to be honest.

It worked out for us by accident, yes, but Jerry 100% wanted Gregory and was upset that he backed out of the deal.

So I'm not optimistic that Jerry don't emotionally sign someone else (I'm looking at you, Schultz) to a deal they don't deserve.

Jerry would rather use that spare cap to sign 4 depth players instead of 2 starters.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, their thought processes don't even go that far.

Reminds me of a lot of fans who scream "WE WON, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS"!!!

Well, to a fan that is true, that's all that matters. However, a GM absolutely cannot afford to think that way. Problem is, that is exactly the way Jerry thinks. A true GM evaluates the team and tries to figure out how to get better no matter what. Jerry does not. He truly sees the 12-5 record and thinks we lost in the playoffs due to bad luck, or bad officiating, or maybe because someone was injured. He actually buys into all the excuses we see here on the boards, believes them heart and soul.

It's something like that. Because we can clearly see he does not build off of success. He's also star struck by offense. Not that he ignores the D, but leans dangerously heavily towards offense.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't consider Gregory saving Jerry from himself a win to be honest.

It worked out for us by accident, yes, but Jerry 100% wanted Gregory and was upset that he backed out of the deal.

So I'm not optimistic that Jerry don't emotionally sign someone else (I'm looking at you, Schultz) to a deal they don't deserve.

Jerry would rather use that spare cap to sign 4 depth players instead of 2 starters.
Because he tried signing expensive starters and failed miserably. SO, now he has no clue what to do. He's simply lost.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If we resigned our record setting, Super Bowl MVP WR to a big contract while opening up space to sign other guys on top of it. I doubt anybody would complain much. Especially since they were able to keep (Donald) and add (Wagnor) with the possibly to resign guys (OBJ). They know what their doing and it's paying off. Who cares if they don't win the Super Bowl next year? It already got them the ultimate prize.

We complain because we try to break the bank for guys like Randy Gregory or Jaylon Smith.

I 100% believe Jerry would rather win 8 or 9 games a year, with a division win sprinkled in, always staying right around the cusp of being a playoff caliber team over putting all your chips in the middle a winning 1 Super Bowl in say a 4 year window.

The reason Cowboys fans complain is because our FO don't seem to have a clue about how to build a real contender.

Randy Gregory offer was not a break the bank, we paid Cooper and people freaked out with Dallas over paid. Rams won the SB does not make them the blue print of the NFL. I don't see Pats doing this or any other team as far as that goes where they are giving up draft picks and paying out big money. To try and claim Rams are doing it right? sure until they get knocked off and some other team is sitting as SB champs then they become the blue print.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
So, you are saying the guy who produced the best season ever by a WR was signed to a deal that isn't the most lucrative in history?

That is the real headline here. The next contract doesn't HAVE to be the biggest.

Ken

Reaction score
lol huh? no one is saying he doesn't deserve it, the "hand wringing" is because the Rams seem to be able to do whatever they want. Give Kupp 74 gtd, add 40 mil to AD's contract, extend Stafford, sign bobby wagner. Meanwhile we traded our best wr for a bag of chips, lost our war daddy, and let our roadgrading guard walk away for nothing.
The Cowboys have always kept the guys they wanted to keep. Guys have always gotten, right or wrong, top pay at their positions. Look at Zach/Dak/Zeke/Dlaw/Cooper for evidence of that.

They had a very specific plan to get rid of the overpriced and undisciplined players on the team. BTW, Gregory not a WarDaddy, Collins not a roadgrader, and Coop wasn't our best WR last year.

Other than that, spot on.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's something like that. Because we can clearly see he does not build off of success. He's also star struck by offense. Not that he ignores the D, but leans dangerously heavily towards offense.
Oh, absolutely he doesn't. When Jerry wins regular seasons games, he sees the team as complete. That sort of thinking led to the 09 STs draft, and is the primary reason our DLine has been grossly deficient almost every year. When we lose because we can't stop the run, Jerry wants more LBs, and doesn't have a wit of comprehension as to how the DL is what makes the LB's effective, as well as the rest of the D. He just doesn't have a clue. He's so much worse as a GM than most realize.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Randy Gregory offer was not a break the bank, we paid Cooper and people freaked out with Dallas over paid. Rams won the SB does not make them the blue print of the NFL. I don't see Pats doing this or any other team as far as that goes where they are giving up draft picks and paying out big money. To try and claim Rams are doing it right? sure until they get knocked off and some other team is sitting as SB champs then they become the blue print.
Amari wasn't coming off a record setting, Super Bowl MVP season.

Two of the last three seasons for Kupp have been better than any Amari Cooper season.

If you complain about trying to keep a Super Bowl winning roster together then you're not a real fan of that team. It's that simple. You can complain all you want if the team is underachieving and not winning, but when they win, you should be thankful that the organization is trying to keep that rolling.

Who cares if the Rams get knocked off now? What the did already worked. I highly doubt Rams fans are gonna be like "man, it really sticks that we lost in the NFC Championship game. If we didn't win that Super Bowl in 2021 then maybe we could have gotten to the Super Bowl this year".

Proof

Reaction score
The Cowboys have always kept the guys they wanted to keep. Guys have always gotten, right or wrong, top pay at their positions. Look at Zach/Dak/Zeke/Dlaw/Cooper for evidence of that.

They had a very specific plan to get rid of the overpriced and undisciplined players on the team. BTW, Gregory not a WarDaddy, Collins not a roadgrader, and Coop wasn't our best WR last year.

Other than that, spot on.

Collins is possibly the best blocking guard in the nfl despite his other issues, Amari was our best and most talented wr and still tied for the td lead, and randy was hyperbole but was extremely disruptive.

and I know dallas can do it, but it’s sold as though they’re unable. Meanwhile in LA…

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Amari wasn't coming off a record setting, Super Bowl MVP season.

Two of the last three seasons for Kupp have been better than any Amari Cooper season.

If you complain about trying to keep a Super Bowl winning roster together then you're not a real fan of that team. It's that simple. You can complain all you want if the team is underachieving and not winning, but when they win, you should be thankful that the organization is trying to keep that rolling.

Who cares if the Rams get knocked off now? What the did already worked. I highly doubt Rams fans are gonna be like "man, it really sticks that we lost in the NFC Championship game. If we didn't win that Super Bowl in 2021 then maybe we could have gotten to the Super Bowl this year".

Not upset at all, all I said is the Rams are not some blue print, every team out there does not follow how the rams did it, most teams in the NFL are not going to give up draft picks as the rams did. As for the deal that Kupp got I have no issue with it because it falls in line with the market for WR.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh, absolutely he doesn't. When Jerry wins regular seasons games, he sees the team as complete. That sort of thinking led to the 09 STs draft, and is the primary reason our DLine has been grossly deficient almost every year. When we lose because we can't stop the run, Jerry wants more LBs, and doesn't have a wit of comprehension as to how the DL is what makes the LB's effective, as well as the rest of the D. He just doesn't have a clue. He's so much worse as a GM than most realize.

We did well with Johnson and Parcells coaching. Now Jerry has taken everything over. He's not good at it. But in press conferences he'll make you believe every option is on the table. They're not. We could go 13-3, lose the championship game and the off season would not change. Go 3-13 and it would be the same.