Rams-style running attack

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
my question is if the deception slowed the defense down by a step, which may be all that is necessary to win the LOS.

I actually think it was just the opposite. We were not really watching or reading. We were focused on getting upfield. I think that we thought that the Rams were going to try and throw the ball on us early. I think we were trying to hit there QB early and often because he is not the same guy when he gets hit. I don't believe we ever thought that Gurley or Anderson could run on us. As a result, we spent the who game watching guys rush upfield and take themselves out of plays. We were always in the wrong spot to make tackles, that entire game. They saw it and exploited it and that's why you saw 270 plus in the run game. We never adjusted and they continued to exploit it. They really didn't want to make us slow down. They wanted us to continue to over extend, to react quickly and to take ourselves out of plays.

That's what I saw, at least.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I actually think it was just the opposite. We were not really watching or reading. We were focused on getting upfield. I think that we thought that the Rams were going to try and throw the ball on us early. I think we were trying to hit there QB early and often because he is not the same guy when he gets hit. I don't believe we ever thought that Gurley or Anderson could run on us. As a result, we spent the who game watching guys rush upfield and take themselves out of plays. We were always in the wrong spot to make tackles, that entire game. They saw it and exploited it and that's why you saw 270 plus in the run game. We never adjusted and they continued to exploit it. They really didn't want to make us slow down. They wanted us to continue to over extend, to react quickly and to take ourselves out of plays.

This could have been a case (sometimes) of the Rams self-scouting and changing a play based on how they ran it in their last game. If they faked the run and threw out of a specific formation with specific motion etc. the previous game, they might have run the same play but just run the ball instead when they played the Cowboys to cross them up.

Pushed back like little girls

Yeah, they also just got whipped on a lot of plays in that game too.

Also holy crap my last post was full of typos, makes it look like I was day drinking when I posted that haha

waldoputty

Reaction score

Pushed back like little girls

wait, so were they allowed to penetrate or beaten down and pushed back?
is the rams line that much better than everyone's line or was the design superior causing players to become useless?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This could have been a case (sometimes) of the Rams self-scouting and changing a play based on how they ran it in their last game. If they faked the run and threw out of a specific formation with specific motion etc. the previous game, they might have run the same play but just run the ball instead when they played the Cowboys to cross them up.

Anything is possible. I mean, I believe that McVay actually calls the plays from the line, based on what he sees, so he is actually sending in the play to Goff. It is possible but whatever the case, if you are reading your keys, you should be in position to make a play regardless. JMO

Yeah, they also just got whipped on a lot of plays in that game too.

Also holy crap my last post was full of typos, makes it look like I was day drinking when I posted that haha

This play is a great example of what I mean by my earlier post. Watch what our DL is doing here. 3 of the 4 Down Lineman are running themselves out of the play on the edge. The 4th is getting blown and the Rams OL is getting to the second level and pinning our LBs before we can even get to the point of attack. I mean, they are getting blocks, not in the whole, but in open space. That's is just really poor discipline and execution on our part.

As for drinking, I would not blame you if you were. Watching that game could easily drive you to it, for sure.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
is the rams line that much better than everyone's line or was the design superior causing players to become useless?

The left side of the Rams OL is decent. The right side is actually not very good IMO. We made their jobs very easy for them. Why I do not know but for whatever reason, we never read what was actually going on. They are not the best line in the history of the game but, what they are is a unit that has played together all year, a unit that had a great game plan, a unit that was prepared through excellent scouting and they were motivated. They were also rested and had time to game plan.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Today's modern football is the same as today's workout fitness programs.

Most of these concepts were already used and developed along time ago but now they seem fresh.

Crossfit is pretty much a timed superset. Back in the day we would combine 2-4 different exercises and do them consecutively without rest - superset

Now there's a fit 40 or whatever where you try to keep your cardio level and intensity up - circuit training.

All old stuff with new twist. Football is the same

Sure is. It's called marketing, I think.

;)

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You can't really separate how they run from how they pass. Part of the Rams success is making it hard to separate the pass and the run before the ball is snapped. It's beneficial for runs should look like passes and your passes should look like runs. If you always run out of the I and pass out of the shotgun you're just giving the defense an easier day at the office - the less they have to think the faster and more decisively they have to act. None of this is particularly new, the Rams just put more effort into their play design and how they mix up what they do so the defense has to keep thinking instead of just reacting to obvious tells.

Then if they diagnose the pass or run correctly, there is often another layer of deception built into the play - who gets the handoff (RB? FB? WR on a sweep/reverse/etc.? QB keeper?) or the pass (where receivers run overlapping routes to create legal rubs and line up in various bunches to get DBs stuck in traffic)? By themselves none of these things are magic, but the idea is you just pile up uncertainty on the defense so they either a) hesitate and get whipped, or b) guess wrong and give up the easy chunk play.

It's not that Dallas literally never runs a jet sweep or whatever, it's that they treat any kind of misdirection as an oddball trick play instead of a basic part of running an NFL offense. Good playcalling is making the defense's job harder than just lining up and whacking the nearest guy on the other side.
So much this.

The Rams win pre-snap, which allows them to get the most out of their talent. Dallas just gets themselves in a position to allow their talent to try to win.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Physical power bro. Physical power

Freeze frame it between 1 sec and 3 secs. What do you see

Not everything is scheme. Something's are bit something's are just brute strength and will power

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
some of us have been pushing for the jet-sweep motion type rushing attack that has a lot of deception.
yes, the same one that got our defense so confused all game

what would be needed to implement such an offense besides hiring mcvay?
a new OC?
zeke should be fine?
cooper fast enough, austin fast enough?
on the one jet sweet austin ran, it was stuff for a big loss.
what is the rams scheme doing right that cowboys coaches cannot figure out???

It's not just the jet sweep motion, they use a lot of pre-snap motion and they use it with their base personnel, not just gadget guys. All that motion forces the defense to adjust and simplifies reads for their offense, not just the QB. We use the jet sweep almost exclusively with a gadget guy, Tavon/Lewis so it's easier for the defense to prepare, especially since we use so little motion in our offense. All that motion is not always about deception, but to read the defense or create mismatches as well. All the motion, PA passes etc and it keeps defenses guessing, especially when using base personnel.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well everybody, I am going to sign off now but before I do, for all of the younger folks who might decide to read my posts on the state of Football (maybe none of them LOL......), don't take my comments as Football being better as an insult. While I do believe in that statement, I do believe that the actual Athlete is better today then it ever was then. While the actual product was better then, IMO, the actual athletes are better now so don't take offense, please. It's not really your faults. It's just where the game is going and that's unfortunate but it is the truth.

Have a great day!

Last edited:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
losing to the colts felt nothing like what the rams did to the defense
The Cowboys didn't register a sack for the first time all season against the Colts, with the defensive line unable to get off blocks and push up the field.

The 178 rushing yards allowed, fueled in part by Dallas' poor tackling, were by far the most of 2018. In the three games prior, they'd allowed 179 rushing yards combined. The Colts' six rushing plays of 10 yards or more were the most Dallas gave up in any game this season.

Five of the Colts' seven full drives resulted in points.

- that’s from a source we cant post

9. No pressure on Luck
It wasn’t going to be an easy task to get after a quarterback who gets rid of the ball quickly, but the Cowboys defensive line came up empty on Sunday. The Colts offensive line was able to keep Andrew Luck’s jersey clean as they didn’t allow a single sack. Luck was also allowed to escape the pocket to complete passes and was able to gain 20 yards rushing himself.

The Cowboys defensive line has done a great job creating pressure on the quarterback in recent weeks, but they just didn’t have it this game. It was the first game all season that the Cowboys defense didn’t register a single sack.

The only thing positive about not getting to Luck is that at least Randy Gregory didn’t get close enough to get a roughing the passer penalty.

:starspin::starspin::starspin: Now the link below is really good...you’ll see lots of gifs of the Dline getting smacked around by the colts.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1...ve-line-dominates-the-cowboys-defensive-front