Rams-style running attack

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
They ran so well they didn’t have to pass much
Which is quite hysterically the exact opposite of 3-4 seasons back,to where it was so E-Z to pass against this fielded secondary of our team, running the ball was an ancillary afterthought, thusly giving rise to the once often touted top #5 run stopping defense,,, er,,,back then,,, & it would really kinda' piss me off to see fans actually kinda' rally around that flag.o_O

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
is this what the rams run all the time or was it specially schemed for the cowboys

I don’t know - the Cowboys game is the only Rams game I watched this year. From what I understand, the inside zone was new and against tendency, one of the reasons it caught the Cowboys off guard. Kind of like had the Cowboys come out in spread and just passed all game might have worked.

Running all plays from the same formation is absolutely their style though. The big “innovation” from McVay is that most nfl teams know that you have tendencies from formations (eg, you’re probably going to run from big 22 and pass from s11). So they run virtually all their offense from S11 or 11 with a bunch. The defense just has no way of knowing personal what you may do, and the offense knows pretty well what the defense is doing.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Reminded me of the game against the Iggles on 11/19/17 when Philthy rushed for 215 against us.
Thank you for bringing that up.i think both that game and the rams game were the two worst. Performance of a cowboys defense in recent memory. I believe the cowboys allowed over a hundred yards rushing in eight games last season. They allowed over a hundred yards rushing in five games during this past regular season . I don't know how much more proof is needed that the cowboys need that the cowboys need to upgrade the d line.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Reminded me of the game against the Iggles on 11/19/17 when Philthy rushed for 215 against us.
Thank you for bringing that up.i think both that game and the rams game were the two worst. Performance of a cowboys defense in recent memory. I believe the cowboys allowed over a hundred yards rushing in eight games last season. They allowed over a hundred yards rushing in five games during this past regular season . I don't know how much more proof is needed that the cowboys need that the cowboys need to upgrade the d line.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I don’t know - the Cowboys game is the only Rams game I watched this year. From what I understand, the inside zone was new and against tendency, one of the reasons it caught the Cowboys off guard. Kind of like had the Cowboys come out in spread and just passed all game might have worked.

Running all plays from the same formation is absolutely their style though. The big “innovation” from McVay is that most nfl teams know that you have tendencies from formations (eg, you’re probably going to run from big 22 and pass from s11). So they run virtually all their offense from S11 or 11 with a bunch. The defense just has no way of knowing personal what you may do, and the offense knows pretty well what the defense is doing.

so mcvay likely schemed something for the game - the inside zone. certainly cowboys have played teams who run inside zone rush plays, so i presume that must mean it is the combination of the rams pass and rush plays that destroyed the d.

if that is the case, what do you think cowboys could have done to counter that during the game?

Fredbeard

Reaction score
I was hoping greg Roman would be available able after the Ravens were eliminated. I remember he was pretty creative with the fortyniners run game and he has experience working with quarterbacks with similar strengths and weaknesses to Dak.
I believe Roman also utilizes a fullback fairly often too.i wonder if Zeke would take fewer hits if the cowboys utilized a full back more.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Watching some of the game clips, the Rams' blocking was picture perfect a lot of the time, the Cowboys' d-line was spread out a lot, so that if the Rams got two good blocks, there was a big hole for the backs to run through. Also some mistakes by VanderEsch and J. Smith, they went to the wrong side of the run and had no shot to get back into position to make the play.

Good news (if the coaches can see it) is that Smith and LVE are pretty green to the NFL, LVE in particular, they can and I feel will get better at recognizing misdirection and other offensive "tricks". Remember this is a very young defense for the most part, if the Cowboys can hold the same people together and maybe add an Earl Thomas or similar type defensive player here and there, give them another off season, camp and pre-season and we could see a much improved run defense...

waldoputty

Reaction score
I was hoping greg Roman would be available able after the Ravens were eliminated. I remember he was pretty creative with the fortyniners run game and he has experience working with quarterbacks with similar strengths and weaknesses to Dak.
I believe Roman also utilizes a fullback fairly often too.i wonder if Zeke would take fewer hits if the cowboys utilized a full back more.

i just hope the game opened up jerry and stephen's eyes about what a good hc does.

waldoputty

Reaction score
LINEHAN IS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

charleshaleyfan94

Reaction score
Super Bowl: Rams vs Chiefs
MVP: Mahomes

After seeing the Rams/Cowboys game and then watching the Patriots/Chargers game last week, I was soberly reminded and astounded why I became a strong Patriots fan since Aikman left. With that said, I made the fatal mistake of writing off the Patriots this season. I have not picked them this year, and I was blown away once again by how excellently coached they are (compared to the Boys). Am sticking with my picks, but EIGHT championship title games is beyond comprehension. 3 of my four teams are still in it. I do not want the Saints to go to the Super Bowl. That's all, folks!

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
The Rams attack is more simple than people think...from what I read. A set amount of plays 18-20...all run off differing motions and sets to throw Ds off. In order to run it right you need someone who can playcall it right thus throwing off the D. That’s the rub. No matter what we add on offense we always go back to the bread and butter

Reaction score
some of us have been pushing for the jet-sweep motion type rushing attack that has a lot of deception.
yes, the same one that got our defense so confused all game

what would be needed to implement such an offense besides hiring mcvay?
a new OC?
zeke should be fine?
cooper fast enough, austin fast enough?
on the one jet sweet austin ran, it was stuff for a big loss.
what is the rams scheme doing right that cowboys coaches cannot figure out???

The Rams "figured out" how to :

1. have a 100% healthy-all-season offensive line
2. have a QB capable of making teams pay for stacking the box/ one on one coverages

The coaches can only work with what they've got.

The one thing I saw the Rams do that the Cowboys should consider- let the coach make the pre-snap reads and call in the play/protections for the QB at the last second,,, like what they do in college. Ideally your QB can do that but not every QB can, especially the younger ones.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
With a lot of deception to the outside. It left the middle wide open consistently getting the LBs out of position.

That's why you read your keys. You don't follow the motion that takes you out of the play. That's why you make adjustments, you put your players in positions that they can actually defense. That's even more reason why you stay disciplined and play your gap responsibility. But I agree, that certainly was part of the reason.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
That's why you read your keys. You don't follow the motion that takes you out of the play. That's why you make adjustments, you put your players in positions that they can actually defense. That's even more reason why you stay disciplined and play your gap responsibility. But I agree, that certainly was part of the reason.
Ya know? I recall seeing a you tube video ,probably 3 days before that Rams game ,in where the dude who'd put it together, pretty much BROKE IT DOWN as to just exactly WHAT the Rams were gonna be doing & just what would be required by the DALLAS DEFENSIVE UNIT , to negate that/ not be fooled & get fouled up by their scheming design,,, silly me, as I'd honestly figured that if I had caught that pre-game video, coach GARRETT had also,,,o_O

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Rams attack is more simple than people think...from what I read. A set amount of plays 18-20...all run off differing motions and sets to throw Ds off. In order to run it right you need someone who can playcall it right thus throwing off the D. That’s the rub. No matter what we add on offense we always go back to the bread and butter

It’s simple but there is a lot of deception built into it.

They don’t sit back and wait for the playclock to strike 1 before snapping the ball either.

Motion, misdirection, playaction, and different offensive tempos sets them apart.