Ramsey vs QB

jwithrowcpd

Reaction score
I'm quite certain that we are going to finish with 3 or 4 wins on the year. I don't think we will be picking at 1 or 2, doubtful at 3, and most likely at 4-6. We have a realistic shot at Lynch or Goff in 2016 and should plan on them potentially being available when its our turn to pick. It's no secret that we need a QB of the future, but there are some defensive studs available this year as well that could certainly upgrade our defense going into next year. One of those guys is Jalen Ramsey. I'd like to pose this question, if Ramsey and either Lynch/Goff are both available at #4, who do you take?

Ramsey is being touted as the most sure thing at Safety since Earl Thomas. He's almost guaranteed to be a top 10 or even top 5 Safety probably within a year of being in the league. In a league devoid of elite talent at the Safety position, taking Ramsey would be an immediate upgrade and allow us to do a number of things in the secondary with the personnel currently on our staff.

On the flip side, you have a guy at QB who has the potential to become a franchise QB, but it will take some grooming and development. Neither Lynch or Goff are Day 1 guys. I think that if you put them in a couple of the previous years drafts, they may not even be 1st rounders. But this year is a weaker QB class and 2017 is even weaker. This means that if your team is needing a QB, this is probably the time to do it.

Basically the debate is this, do you pass up as close to a sure thing as possible at a need position for a not so sure thing, but at the most important position in football? I've been going back and forth on this for a couple weeks now. If we pass on a QB if available, we may not have as big of a selection of talented guys in rounds 2-4 that we might think. I say this because I've identified these teams as being teams who might be in the market for a QB as well going into next year: Philly, Washington, New York Jets, Miami, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, San Francisco, St. Louis, Kansas City, San Diego.

Lynch, Goff, and Cook are going in the first round. And teams have shown that they are not afraid to reach for a QB in the first round so it's possible that Wentz, who a lot of guys on here are high on (including myself), could also go as well depending on his Pre-Draft workouts. If Wentz isn't there, it ruins a lot of mock drafts I've seen and greatly impacts the QB talent left for the second round projections of the draft. The rest of the QB class really doesn't show the same level of talent as the top 4 guys. So you may be forced to take a guy that may not develop into that starter role, putting you back at square one.

Back to Ramsey, if you pass on him and take a QB, you are still not guaranteeing yourself a franchise QB in Lynch/Goff. This team is still of a Super Bowl mindset. They are not in re-building mode. They need guys who can come in and get us over the hump to the Super Bowl in the next couple years. Ramsey is one of those guys. Both Lynch/Goff are going to take some work, which we all agree on. And worse case scenario, they may be total busts. If they aren't developing throughout 2016, the 2017 class doesn't have any special that I can see right now, so you are looking at 2018 already for the next guy.

My opinion as of now is take the QB this year and develop him. You don't have a shot every year at a potential franchise QB in the draft unless you are a bottom feeder organization, which we are not. There are several other good Safety prospects in this class, none are comparable to Ramsey, but they can start in the league none the less. Agree or Disagree?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'm quite certain that we are going to finish with 3 or 4 wins on the year. I don't think we will be picking at 1 or 2, doubtful at 3, and most likely at 4-6. We have a realistic shot at Lynch or Goff in 2016 and should plan on them potentially being available when its our turn to pick. It's no secret that we need a QB of the future, but there are some defensive studs available this year as well that could certainly upgrade our defense going into next year. One of those guys is Jalen Ramsey. I'd like to pose this question, if Ramsey and either Lynch/Goff are both available at #4, who do you take?

Ramsey is being touted as the most sure thing at Safety since Earl Thomas. He's almost guaranteed to be a top 10 or even top 5 Safety probably within a year of being in the league. In a league devoid of elite talent at the Safety position, taking Ramsey would be an immediate upgrade and allow us to do a number of things in the secondary with the personnel currently on our staff.

On the flip side, you have a guy at QB who has the potential to become a franchise QB, but it will take some grooming and development. Neither Lynch or Goff are Day 1 guys. I think that if you put them in a couple of the previous years drafts, they may not even be 1st rounders. But this year is a weaker QB class and 2017 is even weaker. This means that if your team is needing a QB, this is probably the time to do it.

Basically the debate is this, do you pass up as close to a sure thing as possible at a need position for a not so sure thing, but at the most important position in football? I've been going back and forth on this for a couple weeks now. If we pass on a QB if available, we may not have as big of a selection of talented guys in rounds 2-4 that we might think. I say this because I've identified these teams as being teams who might be in the market for a QB as well going into next year: Philly, Washington, New York Jets, Miami, Chicago, Cleveland, Houston, San Francisco, St. Louis, Kansas City, San Diego.

Lynch, Goff, and Cook are going in the first round. And teams have shown that they are not afraid to reach for a QB in the first round so it's possible that Wentz, who a lot of guys on here are high on (including myself), could also go as well depending on his Pre-Draft workouts. If Wentz isn't there, it ruins a lot of mock drafts I've seen and greatly impacts the QB talent left for the second round projections of the draft. The rest of the QB class really doesn't show the same level of talent as the top 4 guys. So you may be forced to take a guy that may not develop into that starter role, putting you back at square one.

Back to Ramsey, if you pass on him and take a QB, you are still not guaranteeing yourself a franchise QB in Lynch/Goff. This team is still of a Super Bowl mindset. They are not in re-building mode. They need guys who can come in and get us over the hump to the Super Bowl in the next couple years. Ramsey is one of those guys. Both Lynch/Goff are going to take some work, which we all agree on. And worse case scenario, they may be total busts. If they aren't developing throughout 2016, the 2017 class doesn't have any special that I can see right now, so you are looking at 2018 already for the next guy.

My opinion as of now is take the QB this year and develop him. You don't have a shot every year at a potential franchise QB in the draft unless you are a bottom feeder organization, which we are not. There are several other good Safety prospects in this class, none are comparable to Ramsey, but they can start in the league none the less. Agree or Disagree?

NO such thing as a sure thing. Claibornes draft profile all said the same thing. Best Cb prospect coming in quite some years. Best ball skills rare athlete. all that is in college. Nobody knows what theyre going to do in the nfl.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Its a very good debate really.

I will say this, QB may be more of a now thing then people realize. Romo gets hurt alot, a rookie QB may very well start 3 to 4 games.

Right now Im a Goff guy. Not that I don't like Lynch, but Goff is neck up guy and I always favor that at the QB position. Goff can win more then Lynch in 2017 IMO. Ramsey greatly improves our 2017 defense and our long term defense outlook, but I think passing a worthy QB now is a very dangerous long term gamble

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Btw you need to post. Youve put some good stuff out there

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Ramsey. With him, Byron, and Scandrick the secondary can quickly become a strength. I can't watch another year of Church and Wilcox, they should be on special teams. I am not ignoring QB though, I would take one in the second round. The thought is Romo will probably play two more seasons, and as you said, we are in win now mode. If they retain Cassell, I think in year one the rookie QB would be third string

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Tell you what a QB I like a lot Baker Mayfield that kid can play football. I don't know where he is projected but man he can play.

Bigdog

Reaction score

I will say this, QB may be more of a now thing then people realize. Romo gets hurt alot, a rookie QB may very well start 3 to 4 games.

Right now Im a Goff guy. Not that I don't like Lynch, but Goff is neck up guy and I always favor that at the QB position. Goff can win more then Lynch in 2017 IMO. Ramsey greatly improves our 2017 defense and our long term defense outlook, but I think passing a worthy QB now is a very dangerous long term gamble

I am the same but what concerns me is that every time I watch him he always operating out of the shotgun. Never once saw him under center which I think he would have to do with the Cowboys. With that being said I think I would go with Ramsey and maybe pick up Wentz in the 2nd if available.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Tell you what a QB I like a lot Baker Mayfield that kid can play football. I don't know where he is projected but man he can play.

He will almost certainly return to school as he's not a very high draft prospect. Limited with his physical tools. But he's definitely a great college QB. No doubt about that.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It is kind of a moot debate, I dont think there is any way Jerry is going to take a QB in the first round.

How dynamic would Jones and Ramsey be at Safety?

RS12

Reaction score
If a QB is there you have to take him. Were you not paying attention this year?

kevinhickey

Reaction score

What if we a get a QB from another team?

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with Ramsey, Hargreaves, Lynch, or Goff imo. That is exciting.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If a QB is there you have to take him. Were you not paying attention this year?

We have been but I bet Jerry believes that Cassel will be a good back up with a full off season with the team.

RS12

Reaction score
We have been but I bet Jerry believes that Cassel will be a good back up with a full off season with the team.

Who said anything about a back up. They hoped Romo would make it healthy through every season since 2012. He hasnt. I am talking about the next franchise QB. I dont want him thrown into the fire right away but if it happens, I want him to be ready. Hope isnt a plan.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Who said anything about a back up. They hoped Romo would make it healthy through every season since 2012. He hasnt. I am talking about the next franchise QB. I dont want him thrown into the fire right away but if it happens, I want him to be ready. Hope isnt a plan.

I am not arguing with your thought process, I am just saying based on what Jerry has said I highly doubt he will use a first round pick on a QB this year.