Randall Cobb stock declining

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. The truth may hurt considering that the team chose Cobb over keeping Beasley but it doesn't make it any less true.

https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2019&player_id2=CobbRa00&idx=players

And don't leave out the 3 to 1 touchdown comparison either. Points win games.
To be honest I think they have both been subpar. Beasley is only averaging 6.1 yards a target and only 32% of his catches are getting first downs. Cobb is just a tick higher at 7.1 and 38%, but considering the weapons he has around him, thats really bad. Both those are rather poor for slot WRs

We made the right decision letting Beasley go, but we made a poor decision in Cobb

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest I think they have both been subpar. Beasley is only averaging 6.1 yards a target and only 32% of his catches are getting first downs. Cobb is just a tick higher at 7.1 and 38%, but considering the weapons he has around him, thats really bad. Both those are rather poor for slot WRs

We made the right decision letting Beasley go, but we made a poor decision in Cobb

Catches, yardage, touchdowns.

Beasley.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ll settle for that.
:thumbup:

Better than Cobb is all I’ve tried to say.
They have been subpar. I live in WNY so I watch the Bills alot. Beasley has proven to me that he needs players around him to free him up. He is getting more volume than he got in Dallas, but he is much less efficient with it. John Brown is balling out, but I guess Zay Jones being a scrub has screwed him.

Cobb to me has shown that is almost done. I dont think he is any better than a #4 WR at this point in his career

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I like Tavon but I also worry about his ball security especially when returning punts. He is explosive and can hurt you.

Uea he has some ball security issues on punt returns while with the Rams but I don’t remember him having a single fumble since he got here.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
He is doing as much as beasely is doing for buffalo at a fraction of the cost I believe. I dont know their contract #'s but I am pretty sure Cobb gets paid less.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Uea he has some ball security issues on punt returns while with the Rams but I don’t remember him having a single fumble since he got here.
You could be right about that. I think he has lost one fumble when running the ball. I am making a mountain out of a molehill. Sorry about that. That's why I fit in around her just fine. :laugh:

Honestly, to me he carries the ball loosely and I am always afraid of him fumbling. I felt the same way about Beasley and he rarely fumbled.

cern

Reaction score
coop, gallup and cobb have all had drops this season. it happens. but as a group are pretty outstanding.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
coop, gallup and cobb have all had drops this season. it happens. but as a group are pretty outstanding.

One area where I truly empathize with Cobb is the plays, yardage, and touchdowns that he's had called back and negated by penalty. If not for that, this conversation isn't happening and instead he's being praised.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Beasley would cost us around 3 more mill a year than what Cobb is getting and frankly with Cooper and Gallup in the lineup and Zeke getting his carries there are not enough balls to go around and slot was not going to get as many chances. Cobb had a nice TD catch called back in the game due to offsetting penalties and while he has a couple of turnovers all in all I like what he has done. Cobb avg per catch is higher than Cole at 11 yards per catch and has more plays over 20 yards than Beasley. I figured Beasley would have better numbers in Buffalo since he will get more chances to make the catch in Buffalo as opposed to being in Dallas with Cooper and Gallup getting the lion share of catches

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cobb began the season looking like a good acquisition in offseason as a suitable replacement for Beasley. Since his injury hasn’t been as productive .

He had the second Dallas turnover contributing to the 12-3 deficit before the Cowboys scored 10 points in the final minute of 1st half to take the lead for good.

He also had a drop in NY territory the last time Cowboys had to settle for a field goal and a 16-12 lead.

he also caught 6 of 8 passes which was better than coopers 4 of 7 or galllops 2 of 6 in regards to completion percentage.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Cobb is fine. However, DAL should draft a speed demon to play slot next year. Also, DAL coaches should use Cooper in the slot more, regardless.