Randle is the worst pass blocker I've seen

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I believe this was Randle's rookie year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We certainly didn't see any threads like this last season. Hardly a mention about Randle as a blocker in 2014 now all of a sudden after 2 missed blocks in preseason he's the worst blocker someone has ever seen. lol He clearly has some issues in pass protection but he wouldn't have been out there with Romo protecting him in a preseason game if the Cowboys thought he was terrible in pass protection.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Randle got trucked when attempting to block one of the Vikings that came up the middle. It was pathetic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
freak-out-and-use-lots-of-hyperbole.png
:hammer:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Oh wait..... Nooooo way. There are many that have told me in chat during preseason game #2 that I was crazy for pointing out Randle's "softness" at the point of attack on blitz pickup. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the front office apparently sees the same mirage they see. It's going to be an interesting year to say the least.

Good luck Romo.

God speed.

No it was the play you pointed to.

You blamed him for leakage on a play when he got his guy blocked.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I haven't watched film or anything, but he looks timid maybe afraid to over-extend and it robs him of the ability to block with any type of power.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
That's not what you said. You said Murray was highly overrated at it. And, said that he gave up a lot of hits to Romo. I'm asking when this took place, because I don't recall Murray ever being bad, or even overrated as a pass protector.

And, for PFF ratings, with them not knowing the blocking assignments on any given play, their ratings are at best a guess.

Murray was considered a very good pass blocker, receiver, returner as well as rusher when he came out of school. His biggest flag was his extensive injury history. So not sure what that poster was talking about either.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he got embarassed, got completely overwhelmed. You know teams are gonna bring the pressure too after seeing that

No doubt. But I think you're basing your opinion on one play. I trust that if he was consistently terrible in the role, the team wouldn't be trusting him as much as they are.

McFadden I markedly better in that role, but that doesn't help much if he's not healthy enough to be out there.

revospeed

Reaction score
he got embarassed, got completely overwhelmed. You know teams are gonna bring the pressure too after seeing that

So did Travis Frederick during that game. Frederick is obviously the worst run blocker I've ever seen. Was too slow the the block and got over powered.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean when Meriweather came in late after Murray had already committed?

Yeah, you're right. He blew his assignment. He should have known that Meriweather was going to delay there.

Can't tell if you're agreeing with me on this one, or being sarcastic. This was a great play by Meriweather, but he was Murray's responsibility. The obvious point is that Murray should not have 'committed' with the blocker unaccounted for.

Plankton

Reaction score
Can't tell if you're agreeing with me on this one, or being sarcastic. This was a great play by Meriweather, but he was Murray's responsibility. The obvious point is that Murray should not have 'committed' with the blocker unaccounted for.

Watch the replay again. Meriweather came into the clear with a run at the QB after Murray committed to block the LB. Being that you don't know what the blocking scheme called for, I don't think you know what Murray's responsibility was.

Often times, a blitzer comes free. The QB is left to account for a guy on his own. Meriweather executed a delayed blitz perfectly. Whether Murray was responsible to wait that long before committing to a block is pure conjecture on your part.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
There was an article written on in. I'll try to find the link.

Hey Matt you don't have to. I'll take your word for it because I think McFadden is a pretty good pass blocker. I think that Murray wasn't bad at all atass blocking despite what folks here say. Otherwise they wouldn't use him as much as they did.

My concern isn't about Murray. He isn't on the team anymore. It's about Randle and to a certain extent Dunbar. Can we rely on them to get it done? The defense will know when will run the when randle is in. At least with Murray the defense didn't know what we're going to do. We won't have that advantage when Randle is in the game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watch the replay again. Meriweather came into the clear with a run at the QB after Murray committed to block the LB. Being that you don't know what the blocking scheme called for, I don't think you know what Murray's responsibility was.

Often times, a blitzer comes free. The QB is left to account for a guy on his own. Meriweather executed a delayed blitz perfectly. Whether Murray was responsible to wait that long before committing to a block is pure conjecture on your part.

Sorry, but that was 100% on Murray. You can even see him turning around because he knew he missed his block someplace after Martin did exactly what he was supposed to have done in passing off his DT and picking up the LB. Murray doesn't get a play fake or release out into a pattern at the snap because his obvious responsibility on that play is to protect first.

I said in the first post you quoted that he's normally good in pass protection, but he was clearly the one that needed to pickup the blitz on this one. This wasn't a free blitzer, he came right in the gap the RB is held in to protect.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sorry, but that was 100% on Murray. You can even see him turning around because he knew he missed his block someplace after Martin did exactly what he was supposed to have done in passing off his DT and picking up the LB. Murray doesn't get a play fake or release out into a pattern at the snap because his obvious responsibility on that play is to protect first.

I said in the first post you quoted that he's normally good in pass protection, but he was clearly the one that needed to pickup the blitz on this one. This wasn't a free blitzer, he came right in the gap the RB is held in to protect.

Murrays lack of vision carries over to blitz pickup I see.