Randy Gregory Has 11 Tackles

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MyFairLady, Dec 20, 2021.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

63,247 Messages
    74,907 Likes Received
    Floaty I’m getting worried about your player evaluations these days. I think you may be losing your touch.

I look forward to your yearly mock but this year.. :)

817Gill likes this.
  2. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

5,808 Messages
    6,944 Likes Received
    This is the same "DLaw sucks" argument except with tackles instead of sacks. Watch the games instead of the box score. Both of them ball out.

817Gill likes this.
  3. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

1,451 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I think your post would have been effective if you hadn't tried to put Gregory's performance this year in a negative light. He's been fantastic. BUT.... yes, I am worried about paying him big bucks and him dropping off either next year or the year after. I would not pay him a huge contract.

4. Loso86

Loso86 Well-Known Member

2,923 Messages
    2,398 Likes Received
    Your serious huh
    ..lol gawd I can't stand some of our fans. Are you going through and trying to find something unnecessary to complain about?! Lol

817Gill likes this.
  5. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

1,451 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    You might be right. Franchise tag?

6. exciter

exciter Well-Known Member

2,337 Messages
    1,722 Likes Received
    He’s the LEO in this defense. His primary role is to rush the passer with his secondary role being sealing the edge vs the run. Chris Avril in 2013 and 2014 had 20 and 22 combined tackes for those 2 seasons in the same role. By design he’s not going to stack up high tackle #s and he’s missed 5 games!

jaythecowboy likes this.
  7. Thomas82

Thomas82 Well-Known Member

3,668 Messages
    2,374 Likes Received
    Well said!!

817Gill likes this.
  8. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    6,034 Messages
    5,869 Likes Received
    Are you a fan, football fan, teenager, old school guy, or fantasy player? Randy is rated higher than 90% of edge rushers every week he plays. His numbers have been off the charts. Stop looking at tackles or sacks Alone. Look at the stats that matter win rate and pressure percentage. There’s almost no one better

817Gill likes this.
  9. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    32,959 Messages
    28,643 Likes Received
    No one is going to offer Gregory anything other than the Cowboys because Jerry is going to slap an exclusive franchise tag on him and that going to be the end of it.

10. Kingofholland

Kingofholland Well-Known Member

3,367 Messages
    3,267 Likes Received
    Paying Gregory 14 million a year would be a waste of money and I would be surprised if that's his market. If it is, Parsons will be penciled in there and the Cowboys will draft or sign some rotational pieces.

11. plasticman

plasticman Well-Known Member

6,025 Messages
    10,095 Likes Received
    Nine solo tackles.....and six of those were sacks. He has three tackles for a loss.

Hey, if I got a DE and two thirds of his solo tackles are sacks while the other third are for a loss I want to hang on to him.

Randy only played in 9 of the 14 games. He is a rotational player that averaged 60% snaps.

Soooo....

11 solo tackles projected to 14 games and 100% of the snaps would be 28 solo tackles. That would tie him for 7th among DE's with Myles Garrett.

The NFL leader in solo tackles among DE's so far this season is Cleveland's Josh Allen with 39. DE's typically don't get a lot of solo tackles, RB's choose to avoid them and the O-lineman is right there. A good DE will usually attempt to misdirect a RB into the LBers. Also, there is a lot more space combined with less time to react. A RB or WR will wait for blockers or dance around a DE there is far less space around DT's.

In general, D-linemen do the dirty work while LBers and safeties get all the glory numbers.

817Gill and BigTimeBlues like this.
  12. BoysfanfromCanada

BoysfanfromCanada Well-Known Member

2,746 Messages
    5,758 Likes Received
    They'll have to weigh their options. Is it better to get him signed and put Kearse on a tag or one of the other pending FA's? As much as I love Gregory ruining pockets Kearse has completely stabilized our safety spot from out of no where

13. noshame

noshame I'm not dead yet......

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    9,502 Messages
    6,952 Likes Received
    Gregory? Sign him!

Vanderyuk ? Not so much

14. Starforever

Starforever Well-Known Member

5,113 Messages
    3,213 Likes Received
    I love these "What player can we bash" threads. You know, I've been watching that longsnapper, and he only snaps the ball long, should he take a pay cut?

817Gill likes this.
  15. Starforever

Starforever Well-Known Member

5,113 Messages
    3,213 Likes Received
    Philly will pay him and Dallas will rue the day of his departure.

16. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    32,959 Messages
    28,643 Likes Received
    You are just not getting it. No offers can be made until a certain date. Jerry will place the exclusive franchise tag on him before that date. That means no other teams can talk to him, they are legally prohibited.

17. Aviano90

Aviano90 Go Seahawks!!!

16,663 Messages
    24,303 Likes Received
    So the consensus is the fans want to pay Gregory a lot of money. That’s surprising. Most are clamoring for team-friendly deals.

18. Aviano90

Aviano90 Go Seahawks!!!

16,663 Messages
    24,303 Likes Received
    I am unapologetically one of these fans. Players earning big money can’t just be “decent”. Nor can they be other descriptions like “fine” or “the least of our problems”.

Players earning big money need to play great. We can get decent or fine out of JAGs near league minimum.

9darter likes this.
  19. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Well-Known Member

3,222 Messages
    3,876 Likes Received
    Apparently you do. You are the one reading my posts in a thread I started.

20. MyFairLady

MyFairLady Well-Known Member

3,222 Messages
    3,876 Likes Received
    I get your point and I agree with you his primary role is not to get tackles it is to pressure the QB and he has done a good job at that. I think you cherry picked those two years with Cliff Avril who IMHO is a reasonable comp. If you look at his best years the 4 years before that with Detroit he would have averaged 35 tackles with 9 sacks. Much better production than Randy and he only got a 2 year 13 million dollar deal out of it. That would be fantastic if we could do the same with Randy even though I do feel like he should be more involved in stopping the run. Would love to get Dan Quinns take on the meaningless stat for a DE called tackles. My main issue is that people want to break the bank for a situational pass rusher with 6 years of poor production who is finally flashing a bit in a make or break contract year.