News: Randy Gregory Suspended Four Games

erod

Reaction score
So if Jerry had his way...Dallas could have had Hardy, Randle, Gregory, Ro McClain, and Manziel on this team last year?

So proud to be a fan.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Romo is 36. QBs of his caliber generally play at least thru their age 38 season. So three seasons of quality play left maybe more. I wouldn't count on more than 3 years.

The list of QBs who have started at least 12 games at the age of 38 is pretty small. Since 1990, Warren Moon, Brett Favre, and Vinny Testaverde account for half of all seasons where a player started 12 or more games at 38 years or older.

There are 18 seasons of QB play where the QB was at least 38 years old and started 12 games since 1990. 12 individual QBs. After removing the seasons where the player performed at a level that isn't getting the job done, you're left with about 5 or 6 guys in the time period who had a quality season at the age of at 38 (or older). Manning, Brady, Favre, Warner, and Moon. Elway's last season would not get the job done without a phenomenal defense and/or phenomenal running game, and he only played in 12 games. Just like Manning this past year. His play would not have gotten the job done without his defense.

QBs generally don't play through the age of 38. Of those who do, only a few actually play at a level that is better than average.

Infrequency aside, what is most relevant to Romo is the fact that Romo has a bad back. How many QBs have ever played their final 6+ years (assuming 3 more seasons of quality play) with a bad back?

IMO, expecting anything more than the current week in regards to Romo's availability is playing with fire and anticipating another 3 years is beyond wishful thinking. He hasn't made it through the end of 2 of the last 3 seasons. Had Dallas been in the playoffs in 2013, he wouldn't have been there.

If the next QB needs two years of marinating, he better be brought in this offseason and everyone on this board needs to pitch in to make sure that Jobu's rum cup never goes dry for the next 2 seasons.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I quoted Romo's statement regarding his back being the bigger issue...what more can I do?
Quoted December, 2014.
But Thursday night, after a over the Bears, he also mentioned a broken rib while appearing on NFL Network.
"It'll be nice when it's just about the back instead of all the other junk," Romo later said. The junk being the broken rib @ the time...?

The below avg (league wide;100 compared to NFL avg. of 130) in long attempts in '14?

another source:

Bell: When it comes to back trouble, Aikman can relate to Romo
Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports3:05 a.m. EST December 10, 2014
If anyone can relate to the challenge that Dallas Cowboys star Tony Romo faces playing quarterback in the NFL with a bad back, then surely it is Troy Aikman.

The franchise's former quarterback was forced to end his Hall of Fame career in 2000 because of back problems. Now he has a certain level of appreciation for the manner in which Romo — whose past two offseasons have involved rehabbing from back surgeries — has responded during one of his best seasons.

"The back is not a normal back," Aikman told USA TODAY Sports. "It's been surgically repaired, with two surgeries in a year's time. He's had the transverse process (fractures). He's 34 years old.

"I don't think it's going to feel better during a season. It's something that you've got to try to stay up on. I think a full, seven-day regimen is really required to be able to play."

635537510019051271-USP-NFL-Arizona-Cardinals-at-Dallas-Cowboys.jpg

Aikman, now the lead analyst for The NFL on Fox, emphasizes that his back injuries were not identical to Romo's. Aikman had back surgery earlier in his career, at 26, but by the end of his career his issues could not be corrected by surgeries.

And Romo — gearing up for Sunday night's rematch at the Philadelphia Eagles that will likely determine the winner of the NFC East crown — hasn't sought Aikman's advice about his back.

The common denominator in comparing what Aikman dealt with to Romo's plight is that in the heat of intense, physical action, the condition can turn on a heartbeat.

"I can only speak from my experience," Aikman said. "I was having to take epidural shots my last season, to get on the field to play. And then I'd go into spasms. I'd get hit and there was no way to move. It severely limited me and how I was able to move around. We saw that with Tony the first two or three games of the season. He wasn't avoiding sacks and hits like he normally would."

"Aikman worked on the broadcasts of the Cowboys' first two games this season, then four additional games to allow him to closely observe Romo's progress. He said the initial turning point came after the victory at Tennessee in Week 2, when Romo began sitting out Wednesday practices.

The rest and additional rehab time helped.

The regimen is striking when considering what happened the last time the Cowboys (9-4) played the Eagles – on Thanksgiving, when Dallas was drubbed 33-10 and Romo had his worst game of the season on the short week, reflected by a 53.7 passer rating.

"The league didn't do the team any favors when they're playing on a Sunday night on a short week," Aikman said, referring to Dallas' game at the New York Giants before Thanksgiving. "Is that the reason they lost? No. I don't buy that. But Thursday games are hard. For a league that's talked about player safety and now there's a game every Thursday night, it taxes these players."

After throwing two picks against the Eagles, Romo revealed he didn't take a pain-killing injection before the game that was played on a day he typically would practice for the first time.

It's unclear why Romo, altered his treatment plan on Thanksgiving. He had taken injections before each game after suffering two fractured transverse processes during a Week 8 loss against Washington.

Generally, though, Aikman has been impressed by the way Romo — the NFL's second-ranked quarterback behind Aaron Rodgers with a 108.8 passer rating — and the team's medical and training staffs have managed the back issues.

"That's the key word — he's been having to manage his health," Aikman said.

It has worked with coach Jason Garrett's philosophy shift to run the offense through the rushing game.

"The ability to lean on (NFL rushing leader) DeMarco Murray has helped that franchise," Aikman said. "It's helped Tony and I can appreciate that. It's nice when you don't have to be the guy who has to make every play in order for the team to have success offensively."

The Romo Health Watch has been woven into the Cowboys' existence like never before.

This week, the questions extend beyond the back, which, incidentally, held up well for Romo during last Thursday's victory at Chicago.

The NFL is looking into whether the Cowboys violated the NFL's injury policy after Romo stated that he has also been playing with a fractured rib – which the team has never listed on the official injury report. Garrett told reporters on Monday that Romo misspoke, insisting that the condition of the rib was an issue with cartilage and not a fracture.

The Cowboys have sent documentation to the league supporting that position. Nonetheless, it's another example that it's always something with Romo.

"He's been terrific," Aikman added. "Most people are focusing on the running game, but that team wouldn't be where they are without Romo. The guy they can't afford to lose is Romo. Not that they wouldn't be affected without DeMarco Murray, but Tony's the guy who makes that offense go."

Which might be exactly what you'd expect to hear from a quarterback.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...relate-to-romo-and-his-back-trouble/20167621/

Follow Jarrett Bell on Twitter @JarrettBell

Those are articles from 2014! His back is not the issue it was. He'll never go back to being a person with no history of back problems but right now its not an active problem.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The list of QBs who have started at least 12 games at the age of 38 is pretty small. Since 1990, Warren Moon, Brett Favre, and Vinny Testaverde account for half of all seasons where a player started 12 or more games at 38 years or older.

There are 18 seasons of QB play where the QB was at least 38 years old and started 12 games since 1990. 12 individual QBs. After removing the seasons where the player performed at a level that isn't getting the job done, you're left with about 5 or 6 guys in the time period who had a quality season at the age of at 38 (or older). Manning, Brady, Favre, Warner, and Moon. Elway's last season would not get the job done without a phenomenal defense and/or phenomenal running game, and he only played in 12 games. Just like Manning this past year. His play would not have gotten the job done without his defense.

QBs generally don't play through the age of 38. Of those who do, only a few actually play at a level that is better than average.

Infrequency aside, what is most relevant to Romo is the fact that Romo has a bad back. How many QBs have ever played their final 6+ years (assuming 3 more seasons of quality play) with a bad back?

IMO, expecting anything more than the current week in regards to Romo's availability is playing with fire and anticipating another 3 years is beyond wishful thinking. He hasn't made it through the end of 2 of the last 3 seasons. Had Dallas been in the playoffs in 2013, he wouldn't have been there.

If the next QB needs two years of marinating, he better be brought in this offseason and everyone on this board needs to pitch in to make sure that Jobu's rum cup never goes dry for the next 2 seasons.

I posted a thread a few years ago with this data. I'll try and address this later today. They key here is QBs of his caliber. Those who are playing elite generally play thru age 38. Obviously this is a general statement.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Those are articles from 2014! His back is not the issue it was. He'll never go back to being a person with no history of back problems but right now its not an active problem.

From 2014 when he missed the Arizona game?

Maybe the referenced 2014 when he started taking days off after week 2?

Aikman worked on the broadcasts of the Cowboys' first two games this season, then four additional games to allow him to closely observe Romo's progress. He said the initial turning point came after the victory at Tennessee in Week 2, when Romo began sitting out Wednesday practices.
Or maybe the referenced 2014 after the Washington game that knocked him out the Cardinals game:

After throwing two picks against the Eagles, Romo revealed he didn't take a pain-killing injection before the game that was played on a day he typically would practice for the first time.

It's unclear why Romo, altered his treatment plan on Thanksgiving. He had taken injections before each game after suffering two fractured transverse processes during a Week 8 loss against Washington.

Just so we're clear, his back was an issue for basically all of 2014? To add to that he only played in 4 games in 2015 before breaking his collarbone so there's really no knowing whether or not his back will hold up?

Yep, sounds about right. Even if his back is not an issue right now, how many of these old QBs played with a bad back in remission?

CCBoy

Reaction score
So if Jerry had his way...Dallas could have had Hardy, Randle, Gregory, Ro McClain, and Manziel on this team last year?

So proud to be a fan.

To be frank...there's the door:

• th

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I posted a thread a few years ago with this data. I'll try and address this later today. They key here is QBs of his caliber. Those who are playing elite generally play thru age 38. Obviously this is a general statement.

And the real key is that they were generally healthy enough to do so.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
So to save me having to read 25 pages, does anyone know when he failed the previous three tests, and were they all for marijuana?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread is about Gregory and his suspension, now Garrett or the front office. If you want to discuss those, take it to the Coaches/Front Office Zone. One and only warning.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's weird how they report or leak these suspensions.

When RoMc got his 4 game fine last year we heard about it. Then he got caught again and a 4 game suspension was added.

With Gregory they skipped over the 2 game fine and the 4 game fine and just announced the 4 game suspension. It seems if they announced them all the pressure might be greater to do things differently.

And we have to remember that once you are in the program, the testing picks up 10 fold. They can call on you anywhere and anytime and if you don't respond immediately that is also considered a failed test.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

The same year (2014) where we were (12-4) so thought it was definitely suppportive of my general argument that Romo's back problems are underplayed while still being a top 5 QB. He doesn't have a noodle arm by any means (deep outs) but deep passing has been systematically been reduced in this offense.

CCBoy

Reaction score
From 2014 when he missed the Arizona game?

Maybe the referenced 2014 when he started taking days off after week 2?

Aikman worked on the broadcasts of the Cowboys' first two games this season, then four additional games to allow him to closely observe Romo's progress. He said the initial turning point came after the victory at Tennessee in Week 2, when Romo began sitting out Wednesday practices.
Or maybe the referenced 2014 after the Washington game that knocked him out the Cardinals game:

Just so we're clear, his back was an issue for basically all of 2014? To add to that he only played in 4 games in 2015 before breaking his collarbone so there's really no knowing whether or not his back will hold up?

Yep, sounds about right. Even if his back is not an issue right now, how many of these old QBs played with a bad back in remission?

All of those dots can't be connected...but on Gregory and Hardy, there are enough dots to say the Cowboys are in deep kimchee unless they come up with two functional veterans in the defensive line.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It's weird how they report or leak these suspensions.

When RoMc got his 4 game fine last year we heard about it. Then he got caught again and a 4 game suspension was added.

With Gregory they skipped over the 2 game fine and the 4 game fine and just announced the 4 game suspension. It seems if they announced them all the pressure might be greater to do things differently.

And we have to remember that once you are in the program, the testing picks up 10 fold. They can call on you anywhere and anytime and if you don't respond immediately that is also considered a failed test.

Now on Gregory's jersey for the rest of his career...

ScarletLetterA.png

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The policy is not outdated when you're investing millions in these players. Asking players to stay clean is not too much to ask in return for what they're being paid. In addition, marijuana is still illegal but that's an argument for another day.

Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA) and most professional web sites have no mention of marijuana as a treatment for anxiety disorder but there are a host of treatments and medications that can help. There are even some studies that found that marijuana causes anxiety so it's possible that Gregory's marijuana use can actually make his "condition" worse. I'm not a doctor but maybe it just affects different people in different ways.

In any event, Jerry just built The Star in Frisco. According to reports, the public portion of The Star, which consists of the indoor stadium, two outdoor practice fields and an underground parking garage, is being built for about $252.48 million. The city and the school district contributed $90 million. The Cowboys are financing the rest and Jerry has spent close to $163 million. Gregory will have some of the finest medical care for his "disorder" and he probably has that now anyway. But I doubt Jerry will house a marijuana doctor at his facility.

If "staying clean" included a zero tolerance ban on alcohol, the policy would not be deemed outdated as it currently is . You mean the establishment (Big Pharma) wouldn't suggest marijuana over highly addictive benzos like Xanax? Get outta town;):D

CCBoy

Reaction score
I dare say that the top shelf talent of a Hardy still isn't known by the Cowboys. With a full off season of conditioning and work, he well could reach former levels of play...that is the unknown there.

As to Gregory, he wasn't able to take advantage of a purely developmental first year off season development program. It affected both his spontaneous responses as well as his own strength and power.

He deeply needs both to reach his full potentials. That is the nature of the beast. You have to prepare and then have time on the carpet.

But no jar of weed will remove that potential in the present...it's still there.

What one HAS to have, to get and keep him on the field, is full personal accountability and soul searching where Gordon accepts full blame and then walks toward the light. Dallas can and should fully help, but that part is akin to committing to becoming great...it's called personal sacrifice and coming clean.

Before the Hall Monitors suddenly appear, the name is Gregory...not Gordon.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I dare say that the top shelf talent of a Hardy still isn't known by the Cowboys. With a full off season of conditioning and work, he well could reach former levels of play...that is the unknown there.

As to Gregory, he wasn't able to take advantage of a purely developmental first year off season development program. It affected both his spontaneous responses as well as his own strength and power.

He deeply needs both to reach his full potentials. That is the nature of the beast. You have to prepare and then have time on the carpet.

But no jar of weed will remove that potential in the present...it's still there.

What one HAS to have, to get and keep him on the field, is full personal accountability and soul searching where Gordon accepts full blame and then walks toward the light. Dallas can and should fully help, but that part is akin to committing to becoming great...it's called personal sacrifice and coming clean.

Agree 100%. Hardy could be had for cheaper and provide the top shelf talent the team only got to see flashes of (out of football shape and drank too much aka "partying too much"). There must be contract specifics related to his tardiness and general erratic nature with scheduling bc JJ won't allow JG to sit Hardy when he acts up like most coaches. If he can clean up that, he is the type of talent and craziness you like in a alpha defender.

Gregory is 23 and immature; not a "thug". No reason to cut bait, and let the team see if he can mature to understand priorities like an adult.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Haha.

Tramadol isn't OTC and it is a scheduled drug.

Didn't catch Tramadol on there when taking a look over and you are correct that is not otc; saw all the major name brands...mainly Dramamine.:D;)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

So proud to be a fan.

That should let you know our philosophy is just wrong.

Unreliable and stupid players can be coped with in small numbers but when they are in the numbers like this, it is inexcusable.

Gregory might make it, but the attention has to be solely on him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agree 100%. Hardy could be had for cheaper and provide the top shelf talent the team only got to see flashes of (out of football shape and drank too much aka "partying too much". If he can clean up that, he is the type of talent and craziness you like in a alpha defender. Gregory is 23 and immature; not a "thug". No reason to cut bait, and let the team see if he can mature to understand priorities like an adult.

Good picture framing there.