News: Randy Gregory Suspended Four Games

perrykemp

Reaction score
Gregory can take prescription medication that would be legal under the CBA for his anxiety disorder. It's not like marijuana is the only option.

Marijuana use is illegal in the NFL. It's as simple as following the rules. Gregory can't seem to do that. He did this at Nebraska, he was foolish enough to not lay off of it prior to the combine, and flunked three tests in his rookie season. He was fined 4 game checks. Even that wasn't enough to make him stop.

As I said earlier, it either means he has a drug problem that he can't control or he's a complete idiot. The guy isn't reliable, and clearly isn't doing enough to help himself.

Exactly. There are a myriad of other prescription medications that can be taken for anxiety -- I'm guessing most of them don't fall into the NFL banned substances list.

Let's stop making excuses for the guy. His only excuse is he is a pot addict. He needs help.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
1918_ATLANTA_FLAMES_LOGO.bmp

I like the Alt Flames logo since he is a Smoke Dogg

You Win:D:cool:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Exactly. There are a myriad of other prescription medications that can be taken for anxiety -- I'm guessing most of them don't fall into the NFL banned substances list.

Let's stop making excuses for the guy. His only excuse is he is a pot addict. He needs help.
http://www.anxieties.com/152/introduction-common-medications-for-anxiety-disorders#.VsoYLZwrKM8
Yes, and lead to high addiction rates for the rest of their lives, there is only one reason these are the "only legally accepted treatments" at this time. (cough)

Last edited:

gmoney112

Reaction score

Prescription medications for anxiety are either #1 or #2 in fatality rate next to painkillers. Especially if you like to have a beer now and then. That's the quickest way to driving your car off an overpass or ending up in jail. Many people grow tolerance and take a "little more" because their dose didn't help them or they have a beer because it's society's social lubricant, next thing you know they're driving into oncoming traffic or sleeping in the middle of the highway.

He's addicted to it obviously because it helps him. Personally I think it's stupid to even test for marijuana but regardless, there are much worse things to be addicted to that are actually most commonly handed out by prescription. Did Sean Payton get drug tested?

I feel sorry for him and personally I hink the arcane laws now are pretty absurd. I understand in occupations regarding liability purposes, but this is the NFL. It's an entertainment industry. Trust me when I tell you there are many high powered execs, lawyers, and guys that you'd never expect smoking the cheebah. Next time you're on a trip with one, check his cigar box.

If you come to work and do your job, then who cares.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Players who make it to their second contract tend to play on average 10 years; QBs 12 though. That's all; not just elite ones.

Here's a list of QBs that made the HOF:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-21%20at%209.18.32%20AM_zpsruo9whgb.png

Here's a chart taken after the 2012 season:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-21%20at%209.48.07%20AM_zpsqeyagzul.png

I can't redo all of this now but IF I find the time I'll post it in a new thread. Look at the careers of all the HOF QBs esp of late since they were the most protected and survived 'intact' for the most part.

Once a player at a skill position esp QB makes themselves valuable then they almost all find a way to hang around for awhile. And once a QB demonstrates they can play at a high level then they generally retire with that team.

Romo has this year age 36 and likely 37 and 38 before his skills erode. Then it will be a year to year basis.

There's plenty of data out there including looking at each individual QB HOF or not.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
From 2014 when he missed the Arizona game?

Maybe the referenced 2014 when he started taking days off after week 2?

Aikman worked on the broadcasts of the Cowboys' first two games this season, then four additional games to allow him to closely observe Romo's progress. He said the initial turning point came after the victory at Tennessee in Week 2, when Romo began sitting out Wednesday practices.
Or maybe the referenced 2014 after the Washington game that knocked him out the Cardinals game:

After throwing two picks against the Eagles, Romo revealed he didn't take a pain-killing injection before the game that was played on a day he typically would practice for the first time.

It's unclear why Romo, altered his treatment plan on Thanksgiving. He had taken injections before each game after suffering two fractured transverse processes during a Week 8 loss against Washington.

Just so we're clear, his back was an issue for basically all of 2014? To add to that he only played in 4 games in 2015 before breaking his collarbone so there's really no knowing whether or not his back will hold up?

Yep, sounds about right. Even if his back is not an issue right now, how many of these old QBs played with a bad back in remission?

His back WAS an issue. I'm not sure where you people get the idea that once a back issue that's it. Sometimes it is a chronic condition. More often it does resolve itself over time and that is generally 3-6 months. The amount of dysfunction over that time can be debilitating to just annoying.

So what is your point?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
by the time the defense gets fixed tonys back situation is really not going to matter the defense is so far off.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Players who make it to their second contract tend to play on average 10 years; QBs 12 though. That's all; not just elite ones.

Here's a list of QBs that made the HOF:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-21%20at%209.18.32%20AM_zpsruo9whgb.png

Here's a chart taken after the 2012 season:

http://i471.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr75/jobberone/Screen%20Shot%202016-02-21%20at%209.48.07%20AM_zpsqeyagzul.png

I can't redo all of this now but IF I find the time I'll post it in a new thread. Look at the careers of all the HOF QBs esp of late since they were the most protected and survived 'intact' for the most part.

Once a player at a skill position esp QB makes themselves valuable then they almost all find a way to hang around for awhile. And once a QB demonstrates they can play at a high level then they generally retire with that team.

Romo has this year age 36 and likely 37 and 38 before his skills erode. Then it will be a year to year basis.

There's plenty of data out there including looking at each individual QB HOF or not.

:) That of course doesn't apply to the Jerry Jones 20 year time line, right?:thumbup:

CCBoy

Reaction score
by the time the defense gets fixed tonys back situation is really not going to matter the defense is so far off.

A five year time line to present, on the offensive line.

A two season time line on the defensive side of things...that's what make this off season so interesting. There has to be a catch up at some point in time...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
:) That of course doesn't apply to the Jerry Jones 20 year time line, right?:thumbup:

Once a QB plays well enough he tends to play until retiring at age 37 even 42 or more at the extreme of the curve.

Those numbers are for current players thru that year. But those are good general numbers for ALL QBs not just elite.

There are reasons why Romo thinks he can play another few years. As surgeries, diet, year long training, etc get better and better then you will see these guys drag the overall retirement age up a bit. Just remember your sample size for the elite QBs and their stats etc are going to differ even more than the general data for all QBs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Once a QB plays well enough he tends to play until retiring at age 37 even 42 or more at the extreme of the curve.

Those numbers are for current players thru that year. But those are good general numbers for ALL QBs not just elite.

There are reasons why Romo thinks he can play another few years. As surgeries, diet, year long training, etc get better and better then you will see these guys drag the overall retirement age up a bit. Just remember your sample size for the elite QBs and their stats etc are going to differ even more than the general data for all QBs.

You know something, Jabber...I'm already pretty fond of aging bourbon in the barrel.:)

CCBoy

Reaction score
A lot of people across the league will snicker at the Cowboys for taking a chance on Gregory and getting burned. The holier-than-thou attitude is off-putting when every team takes chances on players. Every team.

The Cowboys took a chance on Gregory last year. They don't need to turn their backs on him now. The right thing is to help Gregory and hope he can develop into the pass-rusher they so badly need.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...oys-rb-joseph-randle-arrested-fifth-17-months

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys and Gregory agreed to have a personal handler with him during the season to help him cope with issues related to anxiety.

Gregory signed a four-year deal worth roughly $3.8 million after the draft, including $1.4 million guaranteed. It is possible Gregory could lose the $370,000 guaranteed in his 2016 base salary as a result of the suspension. Gregory failed three tests during the season in order to be suspended four games. It will cost him roughly $143,000 of his $608,406 base salary.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...l-four-games-violating-substance-abuse-policy

Is there anyone now that doesn't understand why he didn't show sack improvements over the season?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Cowboys and Gregory agreed to have a personal handler with him during the season to help him cope with issues related to anxiety.

Gregory signed a four-year deal worth roughly $3.8 million after the draft, including $1.4 million guaranteed. It is possible Gregory could lose the $370,000 guaranteed in his 2016 base salary as a result of the suspension. Gregory failed three tests during the season in order to be suspended four games. It will cost him roughly $143,000 of his $608,406 base salary.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...l-four-games-violating-substance-abuse-policy

Is there anyone now that doesn't understand why he didn't show sack improvements over the season?

If he is already on the 4 game suspension, that means he was already hit with 2 game and 4 game fines. Did those both come last year or did they happen in the off-season?

Either way he will not get paid for 10 out of his first 20 games in the NFL. His signing bonus was for 1m, so that covers a lot of the pain but he can't keep this up.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If he is already on the 4 game suspension, that means he was already hit with 2 game and 4 game fines. Did those both come last year or did they happen in the off-season?

Either way he will not get paid for 10 out of his first 20 games in the NFL. His signing bonus was for 1m, so that covers a lot of the pain but he can't keep this up.

There must be an agreement in force between the Player's Association and the NFL, to protect an abuser's public record for a certain length of time or until it becomes so bad that he is denied periods of actual NFL play.

The team didn't give out information until this came out...and that is straight up stuff.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescription medications for anxiety are either #1 or #2 in fatality rate next to painkillers. Especially if you like to have a beer now and then. That's the quickest way to driving your car off an overpass or ending up in jail. Many people grow tolerance and take a "little more" because their dose didn't help them or they have a beer because it's society's social lubricant, next thing you know they're driving into oncoming traffic or sleeping in the middle of the highway.

He's addicted to it obviously because it helps him. Personally I think it's stupid to even test for marijuana but regardless, there are much worse things to be addicted to that are actually most commonly handed out by prescription. Did Sean Payton get drug tested?

I feel sorry for him and personally I hink the arcane laws now are pretty absurd. I understand in occupations regarding liability purposes, but this is the NFL. It's an entertainment industry. Trust me when I tell you there are many high powered execs, lawyers, and guys that you'd never expect smoking the cheebah. Next time you're on a trip with one, check his cigar box.

If you come to work and do your job, then who cares.

Exactly.

Right now it's estimated that 1 out of 10 people in this country have an addiction of what kind or another (drugs, alcohol, ect.)

Since 1998 the use of cocaine and marijuana has increased by 50%... Things like opiates and pains killers have climbed three-fold.

It's a huge problem that isn't solved by throwing folks in jail or "cutting them".

As a matter of fact the whole "cutting them to make an example" is so incredibly naïve based on the rampant spread of the problem across all demographics.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Exactly.

Right now it's estimated that 1 out of 10 people in this country have an addiction of what kind or another (drugs, alcohol, ect.)

Since 1998 the use of cocaine and marijuana has increased by 50%... Things like opiates and pains killers have climbed three-fold.

It's a huge problem that isn't solved by throwing folks in jail or "cutting them".

None of that is lost on Jerry Jones...now, he must listen as his franchise talks.