Rank the RB's

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The sample size is probably too small to be relevant.

I remember some people thought Adrian Peterson had too many injury issues to be worth a 1st.

Very possible and a fair point but I tend to be conservative on these things.
1st round picks are very valuable and not something I want to gamble with.

Going into the combine I said I'd hold off on Gurley awaiting his medicals.
Well AFAIK he has never released them to anyone.
He refused to let any doctor at the combine check him out.

AP was probably fortunate to get banged up. He had his carries limited by injury which probably helped him, like it did Murray.
That might help Gurley as well.
But again if he can't pass a physical you are drafting an unknown as a position of very little NFL value and with a deep draft class of guys who can play as rookies.
All in all it seems pretty stupid to me, but it is certainly what 99% of people are advocating amongst all teams with mid to late 1sts.

I tend to believe it isn't passing Randy Moss that gets you fired but drafting Ryan Leaf.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
7. Gurley
6. Ajayi
5. Yeldon
4. Coleman
3. Davis
2. David Johnson
1. J Langford

You don't have Gordon as one of the top 7 RBs in the draft..........................wow..................you are like the only guy in the nation that has him ranked that low

As for me..........Gurley (obviously), then Gordon, then Coleman, then Ajayi.............after these four, the rest are about the same.

Questfor6

Reaction score
Not big on Wisconsin RB's, he can't take everything to the sideline in the pros like he did in college. Everyone wants to compare him to Jamaal Charles when to me I see another CJ Spiller

BlindFaith

Reaction score

It was made clear during the combine why he and his doctors didn't want anyone looking at his knee. He was only a couple of months out from surgery and it was a bad idea to have team doctors pulling and twisting on his knee. What else is there to check at that point? 6 - 9 months in will be the time when they know how things are going.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Not big on Wisconsin RB's, he can't take everything to the sideline in the pros like he did in college. Everyone wants to compare him to Jamaal Charles when to me I see another CJ Spiller

I see nothing similar to CJ Spiller in Gordon. Gordon is absolutely a Jamaal Charles clone with just a little less speed and a little more power. CJ Spiller is all speed, just not the same backs at all.

locked&loaded

Reaction score

Gordon was 215 and ripped at combine. Spiller was 196.

He ran a lot of jet sweeps from the slot position in his early years. Other than that, I dont really know where you got the he takes everything to the sideline feel.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever seen a board so divided on a subject so this should be interesting.

Going to keep it as simple as possible so list your top 7 RB's (just seemed like a good #) from 7-1 with 7 being your highest ranked. And we are going by who you think will succeed the most in our system, not just the most talented. I'll start with mine and add up the totals at the end of the day

7- Gurley
6- Gordon
5- Ajayi
4- Davis
3- Yeldon
2- Allen
1- David Johnson

No Coleman, NO POINT......Just waiting for the 15th to get here so everyone could jump aboard

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

AP was probably fortunate to get banged up. He had his carries limited by injury which probably helped him, like it did Murray.
But again if he can't pass a physical you are drafting an unknown as a position of very little NFL value and with a deep draft class of guys who can play as rookies.
All in all it seems pretty stupid to me, but it is certainly what 99% of people are advocating amongst all teams with mid to late 1sts.

I tend to believe it isn't passing Randy Moss that gets you fired but drafting Ryan Leaf.

Gurley scheduled a time in April to let teams do a medical check. They was really no point doing it at the combine when they would be doing it again. There was a player that was reinjured in the medical eval process which has caused players/agents/doctors to become conservative in that area.

If Gurley's medical shows that he will be ready for TC, then he will be gone by #27.

The history of players recovering completely from a simple ACL injury is really good. It is the radical injuries like Lattimore a few years ago that are the problem.

It seems that Gurley's issue is just a matter of when not if he will be ready. Then it becomes a decision of how long do you want to wait relative to where he is available.

It would be hard for a contending team to wait an entire year on a 1st round pick. The intermediate is if he can go on the PUP and be ready sometime after game 6 and definitely in the playoffs.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Not getting the Mike Davis love. The guy had weight, production and effort issues in 2014. I rank Duke Johnson and Cameron Artis-Payne over him, and it's not even close.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not getting the Mike Davis love. The guy had weight, production and effort issues in 2014. I rank Duke Johnson and Cameron Artis-Payne over him, and it's not even close.

The dude looks like a jag to me, I don't get the love either

Gaede

Reaction score
7-Melvin Gordon
6-Tevin Coleman
5-Todd Gurley
4-Jay Ajayi
3-Ameer Abdullah
2-Duke Johnson
1-Buck Allen

My thoughts:
Gordon - Clearly the best RB. Based on ridiculous stats, skill set, size and lack of red flags.
Coleman - Second best. Tough, fast, crazy production. Playmaker. Can break a game open at any time. Red flag to me is his size--takes a lot of hits.
Gurley - Third based on skills. Looks good, runs hard. Obviously the injury history is the red flag. And to me, that's major because this type of player (big, physical, aggresive) does not last long in the NFL. He is such a huge target.
Ajayi - I think he'll be a bust. I just don't like him. But he's fourth here due to skill set and production.
Abdullah - I'd flip Abdullan and Ajayi if Abdullah's fumbling wasn't so awful. I think he's got everything it takes to be a starter, runs hard inside, is quick through the hole, gets the tough yards. But the fumbling...
Duke Johnson - Awesome production, love the player. But he's not a starter. Great role player. Will likely end up missing a few games per year.
Buck Allen - Best of the rest. Big, tough, great vision. I'm worried that his production is skewed by excellent OL

Not rated: Mike Davis=fat, Langford=pet cat, Yeldon=why the drop in production? big target, willhe get hurt?

jnday

Reaction score

A position that has very little NFL value? Are you kidding? Dallas has returned to being a running team. The RB is one half of the success of the running game and the oline is the other half. As it stands, the starting line is set , but there is not a RB on the roster that can carry the load each week. For this team, the RB position is very valuable. In a couple years, there will be other teams that copies what Dallas has done. The RB position should not be undervalued in this offense. I think this last season proved that.

burmafrd

Reaction score
7-Melvin Gordon
6-Tevin Coleman
5-Todd Gurley
4-Jay Ajayi
3-Ameer Abdullah
2-Duke Johnson
1-Buck Allen

My thoughts:
Gordon - Clearly the best RB. Based on ridiculous stats, skill set, size and lack of red flags.
Coleman - Second best. Tough, fast, crazy production. Playmaker. Can break a game open at any time. Red flag to me is his size--takes a lot of hits.
Gurley - Third based on skills. Looks good, runs hard. Obviously the injury history is the red flag. And to me, that's major because this type of player (big, physical, aggresive) does not last long in the NFL. He is such a huge target.
Ajayi - I think he'll be a bust. I just don't like him. But he's fourth here due to skill set and production.
Abdullah - I'd flip Abdullan and Ajayi if Abdullah's fumbling wasn't so awful. I think he's got everything it takes to be a starter, runs hard inside, is quick through the hole, gets the tough yards. But the fumbling...
Duke Johnson - Awesome production, love the player. But he's not a starter. Great role player. Will likely end up missing a few games per year.
Buck Allen - Best of the rest. Big, tough, great vision. I'm worried that his production is skewed by excellent OL

Not rated: Mike Davis=fat, Langford=pet cat, Yeldon=why the drop in production? big target, willhe get hurt?

I guess you would have rated Ryan Leaf above Manning then if you think Gordon is better than Gurley.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
The more I read about Coleman the more I like. He has the makings of a complete back.

Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
RD1 7. Gurley

RD2 6. Tevin Coleman
-------5. Melvin Gordon

RD3 4. Mike Davis
-------3. Duke Johnson
-------2. Jay Ajayi

RD4 1. Jeremy Langford
-------0. David Johnson

Of the ones I've watched on highlights, I care the least for Coleman ... only because the line seemed to constantly give him clean openings to run through and he didn't show much vision.

I like Duke Johnson as a change-of-pace running and kick returner.

Really liked Cobb as one of the lower-tier guys and would have no problem with Ajayi, if Dallas doesn't take one of the first-round backs (Gurley or Gordon). The only concern about Ajayi is he seems to almost improvise too much.

Coleman might be fine, but I prefer those guys who showed they could adjust and find the hole when the lane got clogged: Ajayi, Cobb, Gurley, Gordon and Yeldon all showed the ability to do that.

Just watched Jeremy Langford and his upright running style would be a concern.

Mike Davis reminds me some of Ray Rice, who I was my top pick at running back the year he came out. Maybe it's just his build, though. If I remember right, Rice's highlights showed a lot more need for vision.

Of the ones I've watched, Gurley, Cobb and Davis might be my favorites. Drafting Gordon in the late first wouldn't bother me because the vision, balance and speed are there to succeed.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Reaction score

It appeared from the highlights that I watched that Abdullah was often taken to the ground too easily compared to several of the other backs available.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I admit that I didn't see enough evidence of his vision in the highlights I watched, but Davis shows good balance and power and enough speed. He also appears to be a good receiver out of the backfield.

I must admit, though, to being a sucker for a running back with thick thighs.

gimmesix

Reaction score

You could be right on the injury front with Gurley. He is a very physical player. I like that being part of his package, but it could cause him problems staying healthy.