Rank the RB's

Plankton

Reaction score
Gurley refused his knee check up at the combine. He literally didn't let docs see it or test it.
So all the info is coming from his camp which has money invested in the perception of his health.

That's a huge red flag for me.
If healthy he has immense talent no doubt.

If he can pass a team physical before the draft, take him.
If not..., that is a big commitment to a RB.

Gurley refused the medical check at the February combine because he was three months removed from reconstructive surgery, and didn't want doctors tugging at his knee. He is going to be a part of the medical recheck at the combine this month, so that's a moot point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Gurley refused the medical check at the February combine because he was three months removed from reconstructive surgery, and didn't want doctors tugging at his knee. He is going to be a part of the medical recheck at the combine this month, so that's a moot point.

No, it's not moot. Or even close to moot.

Now we await the re-check to get more data.
Until then he's off my board. Doesn't matter til draft night anyways.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Willis McGahee?

Yup, had a good discussion with BP about him a few pages back.

He missed his rookie season than made a couple pro bowls.
He had a 4 year career of ~2800 rushing yards after being a first round pick.
Was traded off for a couple 3rd rounders and a 7th IIRC.

Not a terrible value but hardly a "good" one.

My main concern with Gurley is he will be limited year 1.
He needs to pick up protections and learn to run in the scheme.
If he can; go day 1 that is a major factor for me.

If he is 100% cleared he is obviously a very rare and gifted talent.
But no more so than Trent Richardson was.
Guys do flame out.
RB in r1 is always a risk.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, he is a college player after all. No one comes without blemishes.

Except, Mike Davis of course...

No only Gurley (1 in 180) and a certain UT homer's fave M. Brown (1 in 600).

Mike Davis about 1 in 85.

Gordon about 1 in 50

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup, had a good discussion with BP about him a few pages back.

He missed his rookie season than made a couple pro bowls.
He had a 4 year career of ~2800 rushing yards after being a first round pick.
Was traded off for a couple 3rd rounders and a 7th IIRC.

Not a terrible value but hardly a "good" one.

My main concern with Gurley is he will be limited year 1.
He needs to pick up protections and learn to run in the scheme.
If he can; go day 1 that is a major factor for me.

If he is 100% cleared he is obviously a very rare and gifted talent.
But no more so than Trent Richardson was.
Guys do flame out.
RB in r1 is always a risk.
Richardson is a moron and hopefully the Cowboys mental makeup eval wpuld pick up on that. They went to an improved process in that area 2 or 3 years ago on request by Garrett.

Plankton

Reaction score
No, it's not moot. Or even close to moot.

Now we await the re-check to get more data.
Until then he's off my board. Doesn't matter til draft night anyways.

It's absolutely moot. You "dinged" him for not having it checked, as if his refusal was a huge problem.

He's having it checked this month. It's a complete moot point. His refusal was completely reasonable being three months removed from surgery, as well as his doctor's advice to not have it checked at that time. It's a non-story.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Richardson is a moron and hopefully the Cowboys mental makeup eval wpuld pick up on that. They went to an improved process in that area 2 or 3 years ago on request by Garrett.

Richardson went 3rd overall and was considered the best prospect since AP.
He broke Emmitt's records in high school and was a consensus 5 star recruit who was amazing at Alabama.

His issue is he was focused on getting to the pros and a pro pay check.
After that he got fat. Real fat. He is basically JaMarcus Russell but at QB.

Still he is a 5'9" 225 pound guy who ran a sub 4.4 at times and clocked about 4.45 at his pro day.
He knocked former RB Coach Gary Brown off his feet in a pro day drill.
There was no indication he was about go get paid and fat and lazy.

But even if Dallas knew that, it has nothing to do with everyone's boards on here. No one on here is privy to the Cowboys inside info.

RB are a very long shot of R1 value. That's not even debatable.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Richardson went 3rd overall and was considered the best prospect since AP.
He broke Emmitt's records in high school and was a consensus 5 star recruit who was amazing at Alabama.

His issue is he was focused on getting to the pros and a pro pay check.
After that he got fat. Real fat. He is basically JaMarcus Russell but at QB.

Still he is a 5'9" 225 pound guy who ran a sub 4.4 at times and clocked about 4.45 at his pro day.
He knocked former RB Coach Gary Brown off his feet in a pro day drill.
There was no indication he was about go get paid and fat and lazy.

But even if Dallas knew that, it has nothing to do with everyone's boards on here. No one on here is privy to the Cowboys inside info.

RB are a very long shot of R1 value. That's not even debatable.

No sure I understand your point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You must n
It's absolutely moot. You "dinged" him for not having it checked, as if his refusal was a huge problem.

He's having it checked this month. It's a complete moot point. His refusal was completely reasonable being three months removed from surgery, as well as his doctor's advice to not have it checked at that time. It's a non-story.

You clearly do not understand the definition of moot.
He was not healthy enough to pass a physical at the combine.
That doesn't become moot UNTIL he can pass a physical.
As he hasn't as of today it is VERY relevant.

But the truth is more and more you are hearing he may not really be ready early this season.

Plankton

Reaction score
You must n

You clearly do not understand the definition of moot.
He was not healthy enough to pass a physical at the combine.
That doesn't become moot UNTIL he can pass a physical.
As he hasn't as of today it is VERY relevant.

But the truth is more and more you are hearing he may not really be ready early this season.

I fully understand moot.

Your argument was that he refused a medical check at the combine, which was problematic. I have asserted that he was smart to refuse it, and will have it checked this month. By the end of this week, his knee will be checked. The problematic notion of refusing the medical check is a moot point, as he will have it checked this week. And, being that reconstructive surgery of an ACL tear is a relatively routine procedure at this time, I wouldn't expect to hear that there is a problem with his knee for the long term.

Who would have thought that a guy who suffered an ACL tear in November would be ready, as a rookie, early this season?

Gurley likely will not be in a position to contribute until Week 6 or so, and more than likely will not be at an optimal level until his second season. If a team is taking Gurley, it's less about this season, and more about how good they project him over the 3-4 remaining years of his rookie contract.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I fully understand moot.

Your argument was that he refused a medical check at the combine, which was problematic. I have asserted that he was smart to refuse it, and will have it checked this month. By the end of this week, his knee will be checked. The problematic notion of refusing the medical check is a moot point, as he will have it checked this week. And, being that reconstructive surgery of an ACL tear is a relatively routine procedure at this time, I wouldn't expect to hear that there is a problem with his knee for the long term.

Who would have thought that a guy who suffered an ACL tear in November would be ready, as a rookie, early this season?

Gurley likely will not be in a position to contribute until Week 6 or so, and more than likely will not be at an optimal level until his second season. If a team is taking Gurley, it's less about this season, and more about how good they project him over the 3-4 remaining years of his rookie contract.

No offense but your entire line of thinking is seriously flawed.

a. It is not "refusing" a medical check up that is problematic. It is not being able to pass a medical and being so unable to pass no one has seen anything with just over 2 weeks til the draft. According to Mickey he is favoring one leg TODAY while walking. Good luck on that sweet medical report you are expecting.

b. Any team that takes Gurley with an R1 pick knowing he is out much of this year is pretty much crazy. At pick 27 it would cost about 4m in signing bonus and about 1.5 on the cap to pay Gurley. Combine that with losing a player's services for basically the entire season and that's just stupid. The drop off at RB is hardly steep and you have plenty of guys who can help you now for far less cost.

c. ACL injuries thus surgeries are hardly the same. There are tons of variations and no one here has seen any small piece of what Gurley had done. He could be stronger in 6 months. Or he could be fairly well off of about 4-5m in signing bonus money and retired from the game inside two years. It is a very real gamble. It is not rate for RB who suffer ACL tears to be done. ACL surgeries are supposed to be 3 month recoveries. The Combine was 3 months after Gurley's surgery yet he wouldn't offer any medicals at all.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1-Gurley
2 - Ajayi
3-Coleman
4-Gordon
5- Yeldon
6- Abdullah
7- Davis

By my pick value range

Gurley - Mid 1st
Ajayi -Late 1st, early 2nd
Coleman- Late 1st, early 2nd
Gordon- Late 1st, early 2nd
Yeldon- Mid to late 2nd
Abdullah -Late 2nd
Davis- Late 2nd, early 3rd
Buck Allen- Early to mid 3rd
Duke Johnson- Mid to late 3rd
Cobb- Mid to late 3rd
David Johnson- 4th

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
1-Gurley
2 - Ajayi
3-Coleman
4-Gordon
5- Yeldon
6- Abdullah
7- Davis

By my pick value range

Gurley - Mid 1st
Ajayi -Late 1st, early 2nd
Coleman- Late 1st, early 2nd
Gordon- Late 1st, early 2nd
Yeldon- Mid to late 2nd
Abdullah -Late 2nd
Davis- Late 2nd, early 3rd
Buck Allen- Early to mid 3rd
Duke Johnson- Mid to late 3rd
Cobb- Mid to late 3rd
David Johnson- 4th

Will be nice to revisit you have several rbs going early and often. Can't wait for the draft.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
No offense but your entire line of thinking is seriously flawed.

a. It is not "refusing" a medical check up that is problematic. It is not being able to pass a medical and being so unable to pass no one has seen anything with just over 2 weeks til the draft. According to Mickey he is favoring one leg TODAY while walking. Good luck on that sweet medical report you are expecting.

b. Any team that takes Gurley with an R1 pick knowing he is out much of this year is pretty much crazy. At pick 27 it would cost about 4m in signing bonus and about 1.5 on the cap to pay Gurley. Combine that with losing a player's services for basically the entire season and that's just stupid. The drop off at RB is hardly steep and you have plenty of guys who can help you now for far less cost.

c. ACL injuries thus surgeries are hardly the same. There are tons of variations and no one here has seen any small piece of what Gurley had done. He could be stronger in 6 months. Or he could be fairly well off of about 4-5m in signing bonus money and retired from the game inside two years. It is a very real gamble. It is not rate for RB who suffer ACL tears to be done. ACL surgeries are supposed to be 3 month recoveries. The Combine was 3 months after Gurley's surgery yet he wouldn't offer any medicals at all.

3 month recovery? Is that for upright athletes or wheelchair basketball players that have no use of their legs?

Also, you are the only one still harping about him opting out of the combine 'feel up.' How embarrassing for you. It was stated immediately that teams had no problem with him not getting checked out and that they expected it. Another player got injured during the medical check out this year, yet you still dont get it... smh.

It is fine to take the wait and see approach on him, but you are going about it all wrong and annoyingly.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think all the talk about Gurley and Gordon is a moot point because they'll both be gone by the time the Cowboys select at #27.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm no scout, but here's my rankings:

1- Melvin Gordon- Maybe not as dynamic as Gurley, but he's healthy
2-Todd Gurley- Adrian Peterson lite if not for the knee
3- Jay Ajayi- An every down option; consistency and fumbles a concern
4- Tevin Coleman- I see a lot of DeMarco Murray in his game
5- Duke Johnson- A bit like LeSean McCoy, but not as big
6- Javorius Allen- Does everything well, but nothing outstandingly well
7- Ameer Abdullah- Size will limit him to being a role player
8- T.J. Yeldon- Has talent, but Alabama backs have mixed NFL success (Trent Richardson says hello)