Rank the RB's

Gaede

Reaction score
I guess you would have rated Ryan Leaf above Manning then if you think Gordon is better than Gurley.

Apples to oranges.

When you compare these two, Gordon is the most productive. Why Gurley is untouchable, I'm not sure. He's played 16 games in two years. Gordon has more production in those years than Gurley has his whole college career.

Gaede

Reaction score
It appeared from the highlights that I watched that Abdullah was often taken to the ground too easily compared to several of the other backs available.
From what I've seen, he's more willing to run it up the gut than many others

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apples to oranges.

When you compare these two, Gordon is the most productive. Why Gurley is untouchable, I'm not sure. He's played 16 games in two years. Gordon has more production in those years than Gurley has his whole college career.

College stats are not that meaningful in regards to the draft. There are too many variables. like OL, opponents, scheme, etc..

Gaede

Reaction score
College stats are not that meaningful in regards to the draft. There are too many variables. like OL, opponents, scheme, etc..

For sure. But time missed, due to injury or suspension, is usually a good indicator

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For sure. But time missed, due to injury or suspension, is usually a good indicator

Yes those things are relevant. The other very relevant stat is fumbles. I would touch a guy like Abdullah with his horrible fumble rate.

Gaede

Reaction score
Yes those things are relevant. The other very relevant stat is fumbles. I would touch a guy like Abdullah with his horrible fumble rate.

I'll give you credit for that one x, I'm off Abdullah now too. That fumble rate is just nasty.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Of the ones I've watched on highlights, I care the least for Coleman ... only because the line seemed to constantly give him clean openings to run through and he didn't show much vision.

I like Duke Johnson as a change-of-pace running and kick returner.

Really liked Cobb as one of the lower-tier guys and would have no problem with Ajayi, if Dallas doesn't take one of the first-round backs (Gurley or Gordon). The only concern about Ajayi is he seems to almost improvise too much.

Coleman might be fine, but I prefer those guys who showed they could adjust and find the hole when the lane got clogged: Ajayi, Cobb, Gurley, Gordon and Yeldon all showed the ability to do that.

Just watched Jeremy Langford and his upright running style would be a concern.

Mike Davis reminds me some of Ray Rice, who I was my top pick at running back the year he came out. Maybe it's just his build, though. If I remember right, Rice's highlights showed a lot more need for vision.

Of the ones I've watched, Gurley, Cobb and Davis might be my favorites. Drafting Gordon in the late first wouldn't bother me because the vision, balance and speed are there to succeed.

That's an interesting comment about Coleman's OL. I would rank Wisconsin (Gordon), Georgia (Gurley), Alabama (Yeldon), Boise State (Ajayi) OLs to be superior to Indiana's. And the Indiana offense was completely one dimensional, Coleman was the focus of opposing defenses every Saturday.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's an interesting comment about Coleman's OL. I would rank Wisconsin (Gordon), Georgia (Gurley), Alabama (Yeldon), Boise State (Ajayi) OLs to be superior to Indiana's. And the Indiana offense was completely one dimensional, Coleman was the focus of opposing defenses every Saturday.

And I admit that I haven't seen their games, just the highlights. It might just happen that all of Coleman's highlights that I saw came on well-blocked plays. Each of the others had several plays where the initial hole closed and they did a great job finding the cutback, bouncing it outside, etc.

JBS

Reaction score
Are people not concerned that Gurley might be injury prone?

Forget the acl tear...dude was nicked up a ton a UGA

That's my main concern w him

bodi

Reaction score
you know IMO

I think Ajayi runs mean

and Yeldon is a ground gainer

this are my two guys

Gaede

Reaction score
Are people not concerned that Gurley might be injury prone?

Forget the acl tear...dude was nicked up a ton a UGA

That's my main concern w him

Major concern. If backs get criticized for being too small, they should also be critiqued for being too big. I think Gurley is just such a huge target because of his frame and the way he plays

burmafrd

Reaction score
And I admit that I haven't seen their games, just the highlights. It might just happen that all of Coleman's highlights that I saw came on well-blocked plays. Each of the others had several plays where the initial hole closed and they did a great job finding the cutback, bouncing it outside, etc.

you judge a team on highlights? well that explains a lot

JBS

Reaction score
I'm slowly leaning towards Gordon being my #1 target

Plankton

Reaction score
Not getting the Mike Davis love. The guy had weight, production and effort issues in 2014. I rank Duke Johnson and Cameron Artis-Payne over him, and it's not even close.

Artis-Payne is going to be a 25 year old rookie. I would avoid on that basis.

Not a Davis fan myself - looks a bit doughy, and didn't have elite production at all.