Rank this year's obstacles in order of which ones are biggest obstacle to success

TwentyOne

Reaction score
All true with one exception…every team has holes somewhere. It’s up to the coaches to hide them and at the same time exploit those of the opponent.

We get crushed there routinely on the big stage, and we all know why.

The qualifications of a HC here isn’t about the ability to do that, it’s about making Jerry comfortable, and not taking the spotlight away from him.
Yes you are right. Every team has holes. The salary cap denies to have the perfect team.

But there are holes and then there are holes. Good teams lack maybe two or three players but then have medicore ones at place. Those holes can be compensated by coaches or a good game plan.

We already have holes you cant just hide with a good game plan (DT, RB for instance). Handing out those three big contracts will give us even more holes you cant compensate.
This wont hit only the starting positions: We wont be able to have good enough backups. Forget about DL rotation etc...

I remember 15 (maybe 20 ?) years ago we signed Ferguson, a real 1 tech DT. He got hurt in TC (i think he tore his achilles) and was lost for the season. And so was our defense.
This team isnt in need of one good 1tech DT. It needs at least 2. And thats true also for other positions. But we wont be able to sign such players if we again hand out such contracts. Heck we werent able even before those.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I do tend to agree. Just because this is what our FO does: trying to keep the flashy names. Regardless of the consequences for the rest of the team.

Because of the bad contract to Prescott we are not able to create a team that has no fundamental holes in its roster.
That problem will grow even bigger when we sign CD Mica and Dak again.. Our team then will consist of 4 or 5 big name players but will have at least as many big holes in its roster.

That is not a winning strategy. But its a good strategy for PR and merchandise.
If you hate the Cowboys so much, and you obviously do from all your posts, why the hell are you here? Rhetorical question because the answer is obviously to whine.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes you are right. Every team has holes. The salary cap denies to have the perfect team.

But there are holes and then there are holes. Good teams have maybe lack two or three players but then have medicore ones at place. Those holes can be compensated by coaches or a good game plan.

We already have holes you cant just hide with a good game plan (DT, RB for instance). Handing out those three big contracts will give us even more holes you cant compensate.
This wont hit only the starting positions: We wont be able to have good enough backups. Forget about DL rotation etc...

I remember 15 years ago we signed Ferguson, a real 1 tech DT. He got hurt in TC (i think he tore his achilles) and was lost for the season. And so was our defense.
This team isnt in need of one good 1tech DT. It needs at least 2. And thats true also for other positions. But we wont be able to sign such players if we again hand out such contracts. Heck we werent able even before those.
There’s simply zero way to justify how DT was handled after that playoff game.

vlad

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say the 6 points below could prevent another 12-5 season and/or Playoff success. How would you rank them in order of biggest obstacle to success? Why?
  • Defense (cannot stop run game, DT depth is highly suspect, LBs are unproven, new defensive coordinators)
  • Team Culture (social media, Jerry World, lack of accountability, not clutch in playoffs, etc.)
  • Lame Duck Coaches
  • Contract Situation (holdouts, cap, etc.)
  • Offense (Dak, young OL with many unproven, RB depth is highly suspect)
  • Roster Depth (lack of free agent impact, lost players to other teams, rookie crop, poor GM'ing)
My ranking:
  1. Defense (biggest reason for collapse end of last year into the Tourney, we can be run over and DT has me highly nervous)
  2. Team Culture (already stupid fights with Hooker vs. Parsons, biggest reason why this team fails in Playoffs year after year no matter how stacked)
  3. Lame Duck Coaches (ranked high because of team culture and last playoff game vs Green Bay, has ruined team in past and they gave up)
  4. Roster Depth (some positions like DT and RB don't have it, some are questionable, injuries hurt depth last year and the depth is even worse this year, horrible draft last year to add depth)
  5. Offense (even with Tyron gone and continual Dak trashing, other than some OL growing pains, I think this team can do it on offense)
  6. Contract Situation (have to believe that Jones Boys will wake up and sign CeeDee before it turns into a problem, and Dak is playing for a contract year)
OMG a non-Dak obsessed post on the Zone! Great job, and good post.

Our DT scares me. Our run blocking last year was bad, i hope that’s not Solari.

And yeah seems like every year we’re on the verge of some cultural/team Unity explosion crafted by Jerry and Stephen. I hope this isn’t a Wade repeat…At least there is no Garrett to put a knife in McCarthy’s back

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thats a very good question. IDK either.
Maybe my theory is completely wrong and they dont want to sign those flashy names just to make more money...
No one has any patience these days or awareness. Go check the other teams forums and you’ll find other teams in the same situation. Look around. Explore. Get out of your comfort zone in your small area where you live. The world is vast and wonderful and very educational. Otherwise, you’re just ignorant. That’s not an insult. Some folks can’t afford to broaden their horizons.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
"No one has any patience these days"

disapproving_look.png

28+ years later

what a **************

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
I do tend to agree. Just because this is what our FO does: trying to keep the flashy names. Regardless of the consequences for the rest of the team.

Because of the bad contract to Prescott we are not able to create a team that has no fundamental holes in its roster.
That problem will grow even bigger when we sign CD Mica and Dak again.. Our team then will consist of 4 or 5 big name players but will have at least as many big holes in its roster.

That is not a winning strategy. But its a good strategy for PR and merchandise.
What bad contract to Prescott? 4 year $160M was not a bad contract.

How GM Jethro restructured it was bad.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say the 6 points below could prevent another 12-5 season and/or Playoff success. How would you rank them in order of biggest obstacle to success? Why?
  • Defense (cannot stop run game, DT depth is highly suspect, LBs are unproven, new defensive coordinators)
  • Team Culture (social media, Jerry World, lack of accountability, not clutch in playoffs, etc.)
  • Lame Duck Coaches
  • Contract Situation (holdouts, cap, etc.)
  • Offense (Dak, young OL with many unproven, RB depth is highly suspect)
  • Roster Depth (lack of free agent impact, lost players to other teams, rookie crop, poor GM'ing)
My ranking:
  1. Defense (biggest reason for collapse end of last year into the Tourney, we can be run over and DT has me highly nervous)
  2. Team Culture (already stupid fights with Hooker vs. Parsons, biggest reason why this team fails in Playoffs year after year no matter how stacked)
  3. Lame Duck Coaches (ranked high because of team culture and last playoff game vs Green Bay, has ruined team in past and they gave up)
  4. Roster Depth (some positions like DT and RB don't have it, some are questionable, injuries hurt depth last year and the depth is even worse this year, horrible draft last year to add depth)
  5. Offense (even with Tyron gone and continual Dak trashing, other than some OL growing pains, I think this team can do it on offense)
  6. Contract Situation (have to believe that Jones Boys will wake up and sign CeeDee before it turns into a problem, and Dak is playing for a contract year)
1. Front Office

Brax

Reaction score
No one has any patience these days or awareness. Go check the other teams forums and you’ll find other teams in the same situation. Look around. Explore. Get out of your comfort zone in your small area where you live. The world is vast and wonderful and very educational. Otherwise, you’re just ignorant. That’s not an insult. Some folks can’t afford to broaden their horizons.
You’re insulting him and belittling him, your sarcasm is showing, but at end say it’s not an insult, sad this is all you have to do.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Anyone who has anything other than Team Culture at No. 1 hasn't been paying attention to this franchise over the past 30 years.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
1) Dak cannot fix his blind spots and develop in the WCO. He flat could not see what GB was doing.
2) First year of Zimmer's defense is an undisciplined mess. The defense was already suspect with the holds, personal fouls, gap discipline, etc. New schemes can create chaos. Nevermind Parsons head.
3) Offensive playmaking is lacking. Pollard is gone and Cooks was just okay. Of course there is still an emerging Ferg and Lamb but someone else needs to stand up.
4) Youth in the trenches. Specifically, Guyton and Mazi. Mazi is now a scheme fit and Guyton is working his butt off but this could go very badly.

Of course all that could go well and we are legit contenders. Of course our biggest obstacles are our competitors like SF, GB, PHI, KC, etc.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The Hater Bot strikes again.

chatbot.gif

TwentyOne

Reaction score
What bad contract to Prescott? 4 year $160M was not a bad contract.

How GM Jethro restructured it was bad.
It was and still is a bad contract. And seriously i have posted enough arguments here in this forum about the contract.

And i had to read enough bullcrap as answers. From the idiotic "Hater" comments from those two to three posters everybody is aware of here (I dont need to name them. But we all as Dallas Cowboys fans should take our distance from such people. They should not be part of our community). To strained justification attempts by Daks fanboys.There was not one good argument for the contract.

So if you have another opinion thats fine with me. But i dont want to discuss that topic.

This is like discussing with an flat earther fanboy that the earth is actually a sphere. Its lost time and nothing to gain. People are so emotional about that topic that they are not able to see or understand what science says. And most of them wouldnt be able to understand it even if they were able to control their emotions. They'd still lack the education and intellect.

Same here with contracts: You get "its a good contract" as an argument. If you start to dig deeper and give them some arguments for thought, they title you as a hater or else. But you can sense everytime: They did not come here to learn something or have the goal to broaden their view. They have a prejusticed opinion and if they get the feeling that they may be wrong they call you whatever crap comes to their mind.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
It can't be the offense or defense for 27 years. It can't be the coaching for 27 years. It can't be the quarterback for 27 years. It's not the stadium, the cheerleaders or the hotdogs.

What is the one thing that has remained consistent for 27 years?

Bingo!

Chasing6

Reaction score
It can't be the offense or defense for 27 years. It can't be the coaching for 27 years. It can't be the quarterback for 27 years. It's not the stadium, the cheerleaders or the hotdogs.

What is the one thing that has remained consistent for 27 years?

Bingo!
Really not hard to understand. When you know, you know.