Rank this year's obstacles in order of which ones are biggest obstacle to success

Blackrain

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say the 6 points below could prevent another 12-5 season and/or Playoff success. How would you rank them in order of biggest obstacle to success? Why?
  • Defense (cannot stop run game, DT depth is highly suspect, LBs are unproven, new defensive coordinators)
  • Team Culture (social media, Jerry World, lack of accountability, not clutch in playoffs, etc.)
  • Lame Duck Coaches
  • Contract Situation (holdouts, cap, etc.)
  • Offense (Dak, young OL with many unproven, RB depth is highly suspect)
  • Roster Depth (lack of free agent impact, lost players to other teams, rookie crop, poor GM'ing)
My ranking:
  1. Defense (biggest reason for collapse end of last year into the Tourney, we can be run over and DT has me highly nervous)
  2. Team Culture (already stupid fights with Hooker vs. Parsons, biggest reason why this team fails in Playoffs year after year no matter how stacked)
  3. Lame Duck Coaches (ranked high because of team culture and last playoff game vs Green Bay, has ruined team in past and they gave up)
  4. Roster Depth (some positions like DT and RB don't have it, some are questionable, injuries hurt depth last year and the depth is even worse this year, horrible draft last year to add depth)
  5. Offense (even with Tyron gone and continual Dak trashing, other than some OL growing pains, I think this team can do it on offense)
  6. Contract Situation (have to believe that Jones Boys will wake up and sign CeeDee before it turns into a problem, and Dak is playing for a contract year)
Same as the last 25 years obstacles start with Jerry and the front office and how he runs things nothing changes till that changes

kskboys

Reaction score
The biggest obstacle is that the organization seems to be treating this season largely as a reset. Probably the right thing to do.
Except, as usual, they're doing it badly.

kskboys

Reaction score
Perfect storm would be:
  • No CeeDee Lamb (think of the year Jerry refused to sign Emmitt and offense sputtered and lost every game without him)
  • Team gives up on lame duck coaches (think of the rolling eyes from players when they talk about Garrett, only so much you can say again to motivate)
  • Critical depth issues (front 7 can't stop run from week one on, offensive line collapses, running game and Dak gets hurt from blindside protection)
If all three happened, yes, could easily see a tank year. Hopefully doesn't happen.
Why not? A good tank right now would bring in some great high draft choices.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say the 6 points below could prevent another 12-5 season and/or Playoff success. How would you rank them in order of biggest obstacle to success? Why?
  • Defense (cannot stop run game, DT depth is highly suspect, LBs are unproven, new defensive coordinators)
  • Team Culture (social media, Jerry World, lack of accountability, not clutch in playoffs, etc.)
  • Lame Duck Coaches
  • Contract Situation (holdouts, cap, etc.)
  • Offense (Dak, young OL with many unproven, RB depth is highly suspect)
  • Roster Depth (lack of free agent impact, lost players to other teams, rookie crop, poor GM'ing)
My ranking:
  1. Defense (biggest reason for collapse end of last year into the Tourney, we can be run over and DT has me highly nervous)
  2. Team Culture (already stupid fights with Hooker vs. Parsons, biggest reason why this team fails in Playoffs year after year no matter how stacked)
  3. Lame Duck Coaches (ranked high because of team culture and last playoff game vs Green Bay, has ruined team in past and they gave up)
  4. Roster Depth (some positions like DT and RB don't have it, some are questionable, injuries hurt depth last year and the depth is even worse this year, horrible draft last year to add depth)
  5. Offense (even with Tyron gone and continual Dak trashing, other than some OL growing pains, I think this team can do it on offense)
  6. Contract Situation (have to believe that Jones Boys will wake up and sign CeeDee before it turns into a problem, and Dak is playing for a contract year)
This is good list but I don't know that the order matters much.

Clearly, DT is going to be a huge question going into this season. We are hoping Mazi and two rookies show up in a big way and I think that is asking too much. I think the expectation is that going with 3 LBs will help but I am not thrilled with the idea of LBs making tackles 5-10 yards downfield.

Roster depth at certain positions is also going to be important. There are always injuries so depending on the position, the Cowboys could be thin somewhere again. We seem to have plenty of TEs and Safeties so if someone gets hurt they should be okay there, but I am more concerned about CB and DL. OT may be an issue too, although I have a feeling we may see some of the 2nd year guys step up there.

I do not know why the Cowboys would antagonize their star players by not signing them before the season, but when it comes to contracts, I never understand what the Cowboys do.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is good list but I don't know that the order matters much.

Clearly, DT is going to be a huge question going into this season. We are hoping Mazi and two rookies show up in a big way and I think that is asking too much. I think the expectation is that going with 3 LBs will help but I am not thrilled with the idea of LBs making tackles 5-10 yards downfield.

Roster depth at certain positions is also going to be important. There are always injuries so depending on the position, the Cowboys could be thin somewhere again. We seem to have plenty of TEs and Safeties so if someone gets hurt they should be okay there, but I am more concerned about CB and DL. OT may be an issue too, although I have a feeling we may see some of the 2nd year guys step up there.

I do not know why the Cowboys would antagonize their star players by not signing them before the season, but when it comes to contracts, I never understand what the Cowboys do.
Because they want such large salaries that it will keep us from contending for the super bowl.

Which team has paid a WR huge money and made a super bowl? Rams maybe w/ Kupp?

Sjoseph316

Reaction score
Easy, same as every other year

Jerry
Stephen
HC
*Players effort and attitude are an obstacle in Dallas but that’s a direct result of the top 3 obstacles

ArtClink

Reaction score
Jerry
Stephen
Pissing off your top ten QB over contract
Pissing off your top WR over contract
Forcing a worn out RB on the head coach
Forcing a def coordinator your hc didn’t want
Lame duck head coach
DLine
CB depth
RB room ranks very low among NFL experts
LB depth
Defense unable to stop the run in playoffs
Salary cap being managed by a moron
OLine depth and inexperience
George Strait might play at Thanksgiving at stadium
Gene Jones Jeans prices have gone up
Our GM doesn’t watch game film
No one in the coaching staff has any authority to hire and fire
Philadelphia‘s GM’s stubborn insistence on hiring a head coach and letting him hire his own staff while giving him the power to hire and fire
The Jones karma
The home games are often filled with 50% of opposing fans
GM only focused on being the most profitable
Rowdy has not been fed through a wood chipper
Stephan A has a 29 year winning streak on predicting we won’t reach nfc championship game
Bravo Eugenia’s engine #3 blew a gasket distracting the fuhrer from his gm duties
Distracted from plans to induct Romo into ROH while your current QB is being disrespected while having the same stats and playoff results as Romo
Johnny Walker Blue introduced a new weed-based product and they recommend you don’t operate heavy machinery or do a heap of GM’ing while drinking it

ArtClink

Reaction score
Same as every other year

RBWFQPZS6JHCLJQIO2ULN6JDOI.jpg
Indeed! Is it me or do Jerry and Stephen look the same age? My god, Stephen has aged worse than David Lee Roth.

JBond

Reaction score
Duh... stop the run and be able to run in critical situations. We will not do either.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One of the big obstacles will be getting the team motivated every week. It only took until week three last season for us not to show up for a game. We can’t afford to lose games to struggling teams we should beat. It makes it more difficult to trust the Cowboys. Some of the biggest eggs they’ve laid are against struggling teams with average QBs. Anytime they lose to a team like that they end up going nowhere in the playoffs. It shows they’re not committed to being a great team. Great teams don’t embarrass themselves against lesser opponents.