Ranking teams that would trade for Cowboys QB Dak Prescott

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Another option, eat the 59 million this year and sit him.

Lance/Rush, a FA or draft a QB can start while dak gets splinters.

Dak's stock goes way down as he sits on the bench in September. By October he's begging us to be traded because sleep number cut his contract, can't have a bench warmer doing commercials for their product. We get a first before the trade deadline.

Come 2025 we start off with a fresh cap and may have a great draft pick from Dak's trade, plus probably a losing season. hat will be our "all in" year.

BigD_95

Reaction score
It’s not a reach to think the issue is the franchise, the environment the plays occur in, not the signal caller. Mental fortitude and toughness trickle down through an organization from the highest levels. Prescott’s done nothing but steward league-leading offenses whenever he’s been healthy, though they certainly haven’t been league-leading in the postseason. Teams would have every reason to believe that like Stafford, a change of scenery could take Prescott from statistical winner to actual champion. NOTE: Dak has a no trade clause but he may want to escape.

12 teams, ranking which ones make the most sense.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/ranking-teams-that-would-trade-for-cowboys-qb-dak-prescott/?

1. Atlanta Falcons​

The Falcons have a ton of young weapons and a competent enough defense that they are just waiting for the right head-coach QB scenario to come to town. If Bill Belichick gets the gig like it appears, they’d absolutely pony up the price tag of two first-round picks to acquire Prescott and hit the ground running.

I LOVE THIS READ!!!!!

Gives me hope Dallas will actually move on.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think what you're saying could be correct, but I think it would be because Dak is flat out refusing a trade. If a team like Atlanta wants him I think they would be motivated to trade for him for a few reasons....

The first being that once Dak is a free agent every other team in the league can bid on his services and the $$$ goes up. The second being that typically in this type of situation teams are going to find the happy medium that's best for both franchises and the player. In Daks case I would assume it's likely closer to an Aaron Rodgers type return than a Watson. This is sort of the Green Bay/NY Jets trade from a year ago. Everyone knew GB was moving on from Rodgers, but the Jets still made the trade. Finally how long are teams going to wait on the Cowboys to make a decision on Dak? In theory they really don't see any benefit until June 1st so what's their rush to release him? Even after June comes and goes the Cowboys could restructure his deal, keep him on the roster and split his cap hit up across three years instead of just two that they would get with a June 1st move. In theory it's actually better for the Cowboys cap if they want to move on from Dak to make him a backup than it is to release him.

A few weeks ago I was in a similar thought process to you in that the Cowboys didn't have any leverage around the Dak situation, either with trading him or in extension talks. The more you look into Daks contract though you start to see that Jerry & Stephen while still fools are not total fools.
Jerry & Stephen are bigger fools than Dak Prescott’s representation. Dak is going to command a significant salary no matter how a team acquires him. Better to have to outbid other interested teams than to have to trade draft capital and then pay him a significant salary. Now, if you had to guess. Do you think Dak’s agents will advise him to agree to a trade or will they advise him to refuse a trade, refuse an extension and get released so many teams can bid for his services? If you were Dak’s agent and had a duty to represent his financial interests, and you hoped to remain a highly regarded agent sanctioned by the NFLPA, what would you advise Dak to do?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Another option, eat the 59 million this year and sit him.

Lance/Rush, a FA or draft a QB can start while dak gets splinters.

Dak's stock goes way down as he sits on the bench in September. By October he's begging us to be traded because sleep number cut his contract, can't have a bench warmer doing commercials for their product. We get a first before the trade deadline.

Come 2025 we start off with a fresh cap and may have a great draft pick from Dak's trade, plus probably a losing season. hat will be our "all in" year.
Can’t eat the dead cap hit.

Our cap is already under water.

We wouldn’t be able to sign anyone.

Also, we have to be under the cap in March.

Someone is getting cut.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Jerry & Stephen are bigger fools than Dak Prescott’s representation. Dak is going to command a significant salary no matter how a team acquires him. Better to have to outbid other interested teams than to have to trade draft capital and then pay him a significant salary. Now, if you had to guess. Do you think Dak’s agents will advise him to agree to a trade or will they advise him to refuse a trade, refuse an extension and get released so many teams can bid for his services? If you were Dak’s agent and had a duty to represent his financial interests, and you hoped to remain a highly regarded agent sanctioned by the NFLPA, what would you advise Dak to do?
Spotrac has our salary cap info.

We are in the red.

So who do we cut to get under the cap by March?

Even if the salary cap expands to 240 million, we just break even.

TDHND

Reaction score
I'll be looking for a new team if they trade Dak and get Caleb Williams.

Jarntt

Reaction score
For 1 year @ $34M with only $5M guaranteed we wouldn't have a problem trading Dak if we wanted to. I doubt we try to trade him

Jarntt

Reaction score
Spotrac has our salary cap info.

We are in the red.

So who do we cut to get under the cap by March?

Even if the salary cap expands to 240 million, we just break even.
Cap will go up and we will sign CeeDee long term and drop his 2024 cap number. The cap is not an issue for us this year. There are other moves we can make to free up space to sign players too.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can’t eat the dead cap hit.

Our cap is already under water.

We wouldn’t be able to sign anyone.

Also, we have to be under the cap in March.

Someone is getting cut.
They still refuse to see the reality that we cannot give Daktrash 60 million and sign CD along with Micah
Yep someone is getting cut...........Alex: I'll take the question for 600$ .............Who yelled "Here we go" while choking in the NFL playoffs???
alex2.jpg

blueblood70

Reaction score
We have Jerry as the owner and GM. What could possibly go wrong rebuilding?? If only he had got his wishes for Johnny Manzel or Paxton Lynch. Ohh, the possibilities...
As much as I want to at least agree with you a little bit I think maybe you're going overboard because Jerry wasn't the only one that had those guys on the board along with that cooks guy or whatever the hell his name was connor's cook or I don't know but they all got drafted they literally were all drafted ahead of Prescott the reason we couldn't get them is cause some other GM who people around here claim that regular jams are better than Jerry GM but they all drafted those dudes including Tim Tebow and dozens of others I don't even feel like trying to remember all their names that failed whether they were picked number one overall or in the first round there are a lot of busts at the quarterback position so Jerry saying that he was interested in those guys is not that big a knock that I know someone's trying to land here that he was interested in those guys....

A lot of teams were interested in those guys they all had them high on their boards good or bad that's just the nature of the NFL I mean who in the world thought that the 49ers would give three first round picks for Trey Lance who by the way I had no idea who he was before the draft.... You have a lot of these types of trades in the first round for guys like I mean some of them I could barely remember their names like Mitch trubisky drew lock and others I mean it took Gino Smith 10 years to even be average but the giants took some and I don't know the bears I don't know how many quarterbacks,

they've had or the Browns The Jets etcetera etc etc they've all made mistakes at quarterback to the point where they end up going to get retreads and giving up big draft picks and giant contracts and still not move...

Whether Jerry's been lucky or good by getting Romo and Prescott which I still don't see the hate around here on these players, I don't think they understand how much worse it could be.​

Sandyf

Reaction score
It really all comes down to two things, one, does/will Jerry pay Dak or trade him and two, does Dak want to agree to a trade. From a stat performance, Dak ranked 3rd in the league this year. If you don't believe multiple teams wouldn't trade a ransom for that production then you don't understand football at all.

If you are Dak, then you just play out your contract and next year as a UFA, you will get your money and most likely more than you would get agreeing to a Dallas contract this year. If you think Dallas would keep him and not play him, well, then you belong in a mental institution because they is no way in God's green earth that that would happen. Dak will still put up numbers under McCarthy like he did last year. If Dak agrees to a trade, it will only be to a team of his liking, not Jerry's choice.

By the end of March we will know what is going to happen with Dak. Either we extend him for 5 years or decide to let him play on the final year of his contract or trade him to a team he wants to go play to win like Atlanta. Remember Jerry is "all in", so that means he is going to extend Dak or he/McCarthy believe Trey Lance is the answer or Jerry already has a team that is willing to give up a king's ransom for Dak i.e. Atlanta. You think Justin Fields is the answer for Atlanta or anybody needing a QB, he is a stop gap not a long term solution. The question is, If you are the Raiders, Vikings, Falcons, Seahawks, Giants or Steelers, would you rather have Dak or Fields because Bears, Patroits and Commanders are going to take the three best leaving Nix and Penix. So if all 5 rookies go in the first or 2nd round (they will) then 4 teams are vying for Fields. If any of those teams have a elite chance to make the playoffs next year then Vikings and Falcons and Steelers have the best chance with a very good starting QB. So who do you think Dak would want to play against then you have your trade partner.

My bet, Jerry resigns him to a six/seven year extension with year six/seven being void years but the contract being around $300 million or so with $200 million in guarantees. Like it? Nope, it is just reality of the business of the NFL. And Jerry wants to win maybe not enough to win the Super Bowl but always enough to make the playoffs.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
they are always a team that is desperate and would take a chance, I just it wasn't the Cowboys. I've seen enough, just like garrett.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
they are always a team that is desperate and would take a chance, I just it wasn't the Cowboys. I've seen enough, just like garrett.
A lot of teams would love to have Dak Prescott. I’m sure Dak and his agent are aware of that. It is precisely why they will not agree to a trade. If the Cowboys move on from Dak for whatever reason, Dak and his representatives would then entertain a bidding war for his services. That would maximize Dak’s compensation. Prescott’s best career move right now is to simply tell Jerry he’s fine with his current contract, see you in July.

tomokawan

Reaction score
As much as I want to at least agree with you a little bit I think maybe you're going overboard because Jerry wasn't the only one that had those guys on the board along with that cooks guy or whatever the hell his name was connor's cook or I don't know but they all got drafted they literally were all drafted ahead of Prescott the reason we couldn't get them is cause some other GM who people around here claim that regular jams are better than Jerry GM but they all drafted those dudes including Tim Tebow and dozens of others I don't even feel like trying to remember all their names that failed whether they were picked number one overall or in the first round there are a lot of busts at the quarterback position so Jerry saying that he was interested in those guys is not that big a knock that I know someone's trying to land here that he was interested in those guys....

A lot of teams were interested in those guys they all had them high on their boards good or bad that's just the nature of the NFL I mean who in the world thought that the 49ers would give three first round picks for Trey Lance who by the way I had no idea who he was before the draft.... You have a lot of these types of trades in the first round for guys like I mean some of them I could barely remember their names like Mitch trubisky drew lock and others I mean it took Gino Smith 10 years to even be average but the giants took some and I don't know the bears I don't know how many quarterbacks,

they've had or the Browns The Jets etcetera etc etc they've all made mistakes at quarterback to the point where they end up going to get retreads and giving up big draft picks and giant contracts and still not move...

Whether Jerry's been lucky or good by getting Romo and Prescott which I still don't see the hate around here on these players, I don't think they understand how much worse it could be.​
My point is.. I have no faith in a full rebuild with Jerry at the helm. It not going overboard with Lynch and Mazel comment. Jerry was even going to move up to draft Lynch. Thank goodness he was talked out of it.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
1. Westwood Christian high school in south Florida needs a QB. lol Dak is so bad and mentally weak, no team would ever trade for a clown who is tied for the worst post season winning percentage in history (minimum 5 games).

zerofill

Reaction score
The chances of us getting rid of Prescott is probably like 5% on the high end.
Just screwed...forever...

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I was never in agreement with Bozo and Booboo signing Dak to his contract...and thought it was stupid to do so. It has come to bite them in their buttocks as predicted. Even trying to get rid of him they get screwed.. amazing. If there is a duo in the NFL worse than these two, i would certainly like to see them. There can't be....they would have been fired twenty years ago.