Ranking teams that would trade for Cowboys QB Dak Prescott

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Since Dak would have to agree to a trade then you have to determine where he might want to play with most likely Atlanta being the most likely. Then it comes to what you could get for him and I am sure the Dak detractors believe it wouldn't be much although the reality is it will be at least two 1st round picks and far more likely those two picks plus a couple of 2nds and 3rds.

Would Atlanta give that much up for him. Considering Dak would be the best QB they have had in quite a number of years and with the offensive weapons and OL they have along with a very good defense, then I wouldn't be surprised at all that they would pony up. Clearly a division they would win for several years and possibly several playoff games. Those that like Dak see it, those that don't like do not see it. You have to put the fan side of you away and look at what he has done and like it or not he does rank in the top 10 of the league QBs.

The biggest problem is if we did trade him to say Atlanta and he goes to the NFC championship game next year or Super Bowl, then what will the fan base think especially those that hate him. Be careful what you wish for because it is likely to bite you in the *** and usually does.
No team is offering a first round pick for a 30+ year old quarterback, who will cost more than $50 million per season, has struggled in playoff games, and who’s agent wants a no trade clause in his client’s contract. All of that is not worth one first, let alone multiple firsts plus. And if Dak Prescott is that valuable why would the Cowboys trade him? Dak’s representation is far more intelligent than Jerry Jones, obviously. And he’ll never advise Dak to consider a trade that would handcuff the team he’s going to. First round draft picks are very valuable in the contemporary NFL. The Dallas Cowboys would have to give a team a first round pick just to get them to agree to take on Dak Prescott and what will be massive compensation.

blueblood70

Reaction score
point out one. just a single example please.
I'm not sure what is intimating but I can tell you this nobody hates Danny white but anybody who puts Danny white on a pedestal without putting the team accomplishments around him.. I don't know what else to point out but the man sometimes lived close to a 50-50 split and touchdown interception ratio and it was flipped upside down in the playoffs the man made a lot of mistakes as many as he made plays...

They still had remnants on that defense from the doomsday defense he had Tony Dorsett and Robert Newhouse behind him a bunch of really good players and Tom Landry.... You can call it era all you want but any man that hovers around one for one on touchdown interception ratio is overrated yes he did more with his team I mean does anybody like forget what teams do together and rate the quarterback by what team and what coaching Staffs they have.....doubrt it,.

Truthfully a guy like Danny white would never last here he's Carson wentz with a better coaching staff and roster around him basically yes I'm saying it Danny white would be killed in here he would this is called a Jag they would want him ran out of here so fast it's ridiculous....

You know this dawned on me just now if you put Danny white in this era of football he basically be the situation he had say with Jared Goff with the Rams Jared Goff good enough but not better then say Matthew Stafford just had enough more to win the Super bowl instead of just get there or get close.... That's Danny white Danny white would not last in this era of football he just made too many mistakes in the big moments I'm sorry but you guys ride Prescott and romo's ***** for the same thing but this dude was worse he just happened to be on a great team...

Anyone using a team accomplishments by getting to so many NFC championship games you would be actually doing him a disservice because he's the reason they didn't get to the Super bowl... I mean we see Blake Bortles and Mark Sanchez and others like him play in championship games and not make it to the Super bowl or some even gliding like garoppolo look this is a team game these dudes are not better than Prescott they just were on better teams got a little bit further..

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No team is offering a first round pick for a 30+ year old quarterback, who will cost more than $50 million per season, has struggled in playoff games, and who’s agent wants a no trade clause in his client’s contract. All of that is not worth one first, let alone multiple firsts plus. And if Dak Prescott is that valuable why would the Cowboys trade him? Dak’s representation is far more intelligent than Jerry Jones, obviously. And he’ll never advise Dak to consider a trade that would handcuff the team he’s going to. First round draft picks are very valuable in the contemporary NFL. The Dallas Cowboys would have to give a team a first round pick just to get them to agree to take on Dak Prescott and what will be massive compensation.
Are you aware of the Deshaun Watson deal? Not saying the Cowboys get anywhere close to that, but I don't see why a 1st round pick would be completely out of the equation for Dak. If not a first it could be similar compensation to the Aaron Rodgers deal where GB netted two 2nds in that swap. The money almost becomes irrelevant when QBs hit the market.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Are you aware of the Deshaun Watson deal? Not saying the Cowboys get anywhere close to that, but I don't see why a 1st round pick would be completely out of the equation for Dak. If not a first it could be similar compensation to the Aaron Rodgers deal where GB netted two 2nds in that swap. The money almost becomes irrelevant when QBs hit the market.
Are you aware every NFL teams knows how that deal has worked out for the Cleveland Browns? How many GMs in the NFL today would suggest to their team owner making a deal even remotely similar to that deal? The notion that the other 31 teams in the NFL are run by idiots and the Cowboys’ greatness is enough to convince any NFL FO to just accept what Dallas wants them to is the arrogance that is Jerry Jones, and apparently too many of the Cowboys’ fans.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Are you aware every NFL teams knows how that deal has worked out for the Cleveland Browns? How many GMs in the NFL today would suggest to their team owner making a deal even remotely similar to that deal? The notion that the other 31 teams in the NFL are run by idiots and the Cowboys’ greatness is enough to convince any NFL FO to just accept what Dallas wants them to is the arrogance that is Jerry Jones, and apparently too many of the Cowboys’ fans.
NFL teams continue to make dumb moves all the time, even at the time the rest of the league knew Cleveland made a horrible trade, but they did it because they were desperate for a QB. I doubt we see another Watson type move in giving up that much guaranteed money and draft capitol, but we do continue to see QBs moved for high prices pretty regularly now. Wilson, Watson, Rodgers. I see no reason Dak couldn't fetch the Cowboys at least one draft pick of some value. The idea that the Cowboys would have to give up a high pick for another team to take him on is insane though. The guy just made the all pro team, and you can't tell me a team like Atlanta who doesnt have a QB and is drafting low enough that itll be tough to get one of the blue chip qbs coming out wouldnt have some interest in a Dak deal.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
NFL teams continue to make dumb moves all the time, even at the time the rest of the league knew Cleveland made a horrible trade, but they did it because they were desperate for a QB. I doubt we see another Watson type move in giving up that much guaranteed money and draft capitol, but we do continue to see QBs moved for high prices pretty regularly now. Wilson, Watson, Rodgers. I see no reason Dak couldn't fetch the Cowboys at least one draft pick of some value. The idea that the Cowboys would have to give up a high pick for another team to take him on is insane though. The guy just made the all pro team, and you can't tell me a team like Atlanta who doesnt have a QB and is drafting low enough that itll be tough to get one of the blue chip qbs coming out wouldnt have some interest in a Dak deal.
If a team has a genuine interest in acquiring Dak Prescott why wouldn’t they simply wait to see what the Cowboys do with him? The first faint whiff that Dallas is interested in moving off Dak it would be prudent to make the Cowboys commit to a decision on him. Right now there’s the very real possibility they don’t extend him. There’s a very real chance a team could acquire him before next season with no compensation to Dallas. In any case, it would behoove any franchise to wait and see if that situation presents itself.

tomokawan

Reaction score
If we trade Dak, which is unlikely due to his contract, we might as well trade Parsons and Lamb and Martin while we can still get something and do a full rebuild.
Yea, we may be good by 2030 with that plan.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If a team has a genuine interest in acquiring Dak Prescott why wouldn’t they simply wait to see what the Cowboys do with him? The first faint whiff that Dallas is interested in moving off Dak it would be prudent to make the Cowboys commit to a decision on him. Right now there’s the very real possibility they don’t extend him. There’s a very real chance a team could acquire him before next season with no compensation to Dallas. In any case, it would behoove any franchise to wait and see if that situation presents itself.
I think what you're saying could be correct, but I think it would be because Dak is flat out refusing a trade. If a team like Atlanta wants him I think they would be motivated to trade for him for a few reasons....

The first being that once Dak is a free agent every other team in the league can bid on his services and the $$$ goes up. The second being that typically in this type of situation teams are going to find the happy medium that's best for both franchises and the player. In Daks case I would assume it's likely closer to an Aaron Rodgers type return than a Watson. This is sort of the Green Bay/NY Jets trade from a year ago. Everyone knew GB was moving on from Rodgers, but the Jets still made the trade. Finally how long are teams going to wait on the Cowboys to make a decision on Dak? In theory they really don't see any benefit until June 1st so what's their rush to release him? Even after June comes and goes the Cowboys could restructure his deal, keep him on the roster and split his cap hit up across three years instead of just two that they would get with a June 1st move. In theory it's actually better for the Cowboys cap if they want to move on from Dak to make him a backup than it is to release him.

A few weeks ago I was in a similar thought process to you in that the Cowboys didn't have any leverage around the Dak situation, either with trading him or in extension talks. The more you look into Daks contract though you start to see that Jerry & Stephen while still fools are not total fools.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think what you're saying could be correct, but I think it would be because Dak is flat out refusing a trade. If a team like Atlanta wants him I think they would be motivated to trade for him for a few reasons....

The first being that once Dak is a free agent every other team in the league can bid on his services and the $$$ goes up. The second being that typically in this type of situation teams are going to find the happy medium that's best for both franchises and the player. In Daks case I would assume it's likely closer to an Aaron Rodgers type return than a Watson. This is sort of the Green Bay/NY Jets trade from a year ago. Everyone knew GB was moving on from Rodgers, but the Jets still made the trade. Finally how long are teams going to wait on the Cowboys to make a decision on Dak? In theory they really don't see any benefit until June 1st so what's their rush to release him? Even after June comes and goes the Cowboys could restructure his deal, keep him on the roster and split his cap hit up across three years instead of just two that they would get with a June 1st move. In theory it's actually better for the Cowboys cap if they want to move on from Dak to make him a backup than it is to release him.

A few weeks ago I was in a similar thought process to you in that the Cowboys didn't have any leverage around the Dak situation, either with trading him or in extension talks. The more you look into Daks contract though you start to see that Jerry & Stephen while still fools are not total fools.
Dak can refuse a trade.

But a trade doesn't help Dallas any. It's still treated as a June 1 cut. Dallas doesn't care.

It does help Dak.

He'd keep his 2024 base and bonus. Which is around 34 million.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You do realize only one team wins every year and it's usually a different team minus KC. :facepalm: Well unless you had Rodger-really a first round pick or Troy....You lucky you have Dak. Danny White set all kind of records and never got to a SB......If you 're only counting on a q.b. to get you there. By average you'll never get there. Even if you have the first pick every year and take a q.b. How many q.b's have been taken in the top 5 every year? How many have made the SB? Few.....
Were doomed, we will never find a QB again!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If we trade Dak, which is unlikely due to his contract, we might as well trade Parsons and Lamb and Martin while we can still get something and do a full rebuild.
We got Trey Lance.

We already did a rebuild at QB. 8)

tomokawan

Reaction score
For some reason some fans are afraid of rebuilding but don't realize that the 90s dynasty was built with top 10 picks.

We are always picking late in the draft but never winning anything...

Literally, the worst position you can be at as a sports franchise.
We have Jerry as the owner and GM. What could possibly go wrong rebuilding?? If only he had got his wishes for Johnny Manzel or Paxton Lynch. Ohh, the possibilities...

tomokawan

Reaction score
I agree great place for him.

yeah but the point people are missing, and this is so ridiculously a Fantasy thread, is Dak willing to wave his NT clause. And going all in does NOT mean trade your top 5 MVP candidate at qb to rebuild. thats next year, no need to trade let the deal ride and see what happens. I think we should not extend him thats the happy middle. just make all the new deals to some of our players be backloaded low 2024 salaries, lots of restructures etc to carry daks big cap hit..its very doable. as the ALL in that what the rams and eagles did , if yo take the top 3 worst deals on the team and restructure than the new deal all back loaded low 24 salaries it opens up a lot for a few FAs..

MM and that O staff and many players all coming back, was not kept with getting rid of Dak this season.

sorry guys please note this is NOT happening unless Dak wakes up one morning and threatens hold out and demands trade himself fed up with the haters.. be careful what you wish for guys....
As usual, a great well thought out post.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Dallas needs to take a big chance and by Dallas, I mean Jerry Jones. If you can get two 1st and a 2nd & 3rd for Dak, you do it and move way up in the draft if possible. There are QBs to be had in this year's draft.