Rapoport: Cowboys considering bringing in Jon Kitna to work with QBs

Gaede

Reaction score
Another reason I am OK with this is that likely means Garrett is not extended.

If they were going to sign some hotshot OC from outside the organization, they would essentially have to extend Garrett to avoid the lame duck perception.

Promoting from within implies that next year is make it or break it for JG.

Of course, Jerry could promote Moore and then give Garrett a lifetime extension...but that wont happen, right?!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I get the narrative, but maybe I'm missing something here. What type of friendship relationship did Kris Richard have with this organization before coming here last year and basically running the Cowboys' defense?.
Right, because Richard is on defense. There they dark to be more open to whichever outsider is the best candidate. But on offense there's almost always some former Garrett connection. About the only one that didn't was Callahan, who was an excellent coach but couldn't stand Jason.

Also, think about that All or Nothing scene where Garrett got all tough guy and told the coaches they all better be 100% on board with him or they were out. Jason obviously values familiarity and loyalty over talent and production.

Sounds like his owner in that way.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Right, you bring in Kitna to coach QBs because Kellen Moore is the new OC.

How many days until training camp?

Like the Kitna move.....not having any of the Kellen Moore as OC....

Hiring K. Moore would mean Jerry and Jason are looking to add another puppet coach. Hey Kellen fetch me my scotch.....Dam it Kellen I told you I only drink Johnny Walker Blue, WTH Kellen get it right...:muttley: Come On Kellen you can do better.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
well at least if they do this and don't extend garrett then if they don't make the playoffs he will be gone

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this happens I'm going to lose it.

Lol! Amazing. Insert my usual comment about people who ***** about Moore because they didn’t like him as a player having zero idea how he’s performed as a QB coach.

And again, guys....this is why you lie to the press and conduct your inquiries privately and interview at the Senior Bowl when everybody’s in one spot and it’s easy to do so. So that idiots on message boards don’t lose their lunch when a hack mentions ‘John Kitna’ for an unspecified role in passing on Twitter.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Kitna’a record as a QB doesn’t have anything to do with his ability or inability to coach.

I honestly don’t know if he would be a good QB coach or not, but discussing his career results as a player is almost meaningless as to whether or not he would be a good coach.

The nfl is riddled with coaches who weren’t very good as players.

I wouldn’t be against Kitna being a QB coach. He might end up being good at the job.

He has a lot of experience to draw from that is worth something at this point since we have tried someone with limited experience

Rayman70

Reaction score
Rising star? Since when? First JG is going to be able to get 5 job openings and now Moore is going to be a HC. Probably here after JG goes upstairs. :banghead:
lmao, RISING STAR? Wont he be running the very same linehan playbook or would this be HIS own style? We need to be finding out.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
lmao, RISING STAR? Wont he be running the very same linehan playbook or would this be HIS own style? We need to be finding out.
It's all JG's playbook. That one needs to be thrown out and a new one brought in. We need someone in here who can coach to Dak's strengths. And stop trying to make him into Romo.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Going with retreads for what? What role is Kitna going to play in your mind?
QB coach apparently. The guy was a school teacher recently lol...so we gonna expect him to come in here and have cred with Dak? lol...Dak doesn't even know who the guy is! This is funny.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QB coach apparently. The guy was a school teacher recently lol...so we gonna expect him to come in here and have cred with Dak? lol...Dak doesn't even know who the guy is! This is funny.

Why apparently? Why can’t he just be a consultant? The Cowboys have used retired players for that before.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oh YES they apparently would...:(

Again, why apparently? Is this based on the notion that NFL/sports tabloid reporters never mislead, or that whatever scenario anyone can create in their head based on a vague report must be true?

75boyz

Reaction score
Read my posts above
There is a way to do things that breeds success

Being an OC is much more than having been a QB
We have a QB who is lacking in fundamentals of his mechanics and reading defenses
We need an innovative OC from the tree of a HC who is known to push the envelope and think outside the box
This person and his staff will also need to hold our QB to a different standard than he has been held to so far

Moore and Kitna are not those guys
They don't have the experience, the training or the resume to stand up to Dak

Perfectly stated and fits your Sig to a tee. I share this same vision.