Twitter: Rapoport: Cowboys will franchise Dak again if they can't get a long-term deal done first

Kingofholland

Reaction score
As they should, why would they let him walk without any compensation as some here suggested?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Who would Tak refuse to sign the tag? He would be the 2nd highest paid QB under his next tag.

He won't refuse. He is not going to leave that kind of money on the table. If he does, he and his agent are dumber than i thought. But i agree it will be the beginning of the end of him in Dallas.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
As Aikman said, if he goes on another tag he won’t be back. This is starting to look a lot like Cousins deal in Wash.

Dallas offered Dak $110 million guaranteed with a $50 million signing bonus last year. Washington never made a serious offer to Cousins.

Not the same situation at all, but I agree a second tag means sayonara. It's why I expect Jerry will cave and Dak will get his contract.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
If Dak has half a brain, he’ll sign the first fair contract put in front of him. I predict he signs for 5 years, with the team having an option to void after the 3rd year and Dak having an option to void after the 4th year.

Scotman

Reaction score
There is a difference between having a different opinion and being wrong. He's just wrong.
Really? What did I say that is plain wrong? That I've grown to like him and hope he has a long career here? That he should be able to get by on the 30 million that he already made? Or was I wrong in that branding himself as a team-first guy improves his marketability? Was I clearly wrong in that improved marketability could net him more than his actual football contract? Or that his marketability could extend well past his playing years. We are living, after all, in an era of personal branding. Or you don't think that we could potentially field a better team if we had more cap space? And what exactly should I move on from? I'm not mired in the contract situation. I do think he's making a mistake, but it isn't keeping me up at night. I'm just a fan with an opinion. Could I be wrong on one or more of my thoughts? Of course. But you've said nothing that added to the discussion.

You come across like a petulant child. Once you've stamped your feet and declared everyone else is wrong, you're absolutely closed off to even having a reasonably intelligent conversation.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Really? What did I say that is plain wrong? That I've grown to like him and hope he has a long career here? That he should be able to get by on the 30 million that he already made? Or was I wrong in that branding himself as a team-first guy improves his marketability? Was I clearly wrong in that improved marketability could net him more than his actual football contract? Or that his marketability could extend well past his playing years. We are living, after all, in an era of personal branding. Or you don't think that we could potentially field a better team if we had more cap space? And what exactly should I move on from? I'm not mired in the contract situation. I do think he's making a mistake, but it isn't keeping me up at night. I'm just a fan with an opinion. Could I be wrong on one or more of my thoughts? Of course. But you've said nothing that added to the discussion.

You come across like a petulant child. Once you've stamped your feet and declared everyone else is wrong, you're absolutely closed off to even having a reasonably intelligent conversation.

Bam! Laying some truth.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Duh.

Some of these “insider” takes are literal common sense

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Attached Tweet gone but seems France may be issue

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

The tag does not preclude another team signing him to an outrageous contract the Cowboys can't afford to match.
Upside is we get 2 number 1 picks.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wait this is news?

of course they would tag him if no long term deal. Great scoop, Ian.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I say let him walk. Allow him to ruin a different franchise

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I have grown to love Dak and want him to be our long-term QB.

BUT, the argument shouldn't be "long-term" security. If you can't have long security with the 30 million dollars made last year, you probably can't find it in even bigger numbers. Argue "going rate" or "market value" or something. But I'm not buying any financial security angle.

I've said all along, I think this is a BIG mistake on Dak's part. A team friendly deal still nets him more money that he would ever need to spend. Further, any "discount" could easily be offset by endorsement deals that extend far beyond his playing years. A team-friendly deal probably makes him and the team more successful in the long-term, too. The more he's endeared to his fan base, the more he makes long-term. I truly think he makes MORE long-term on a team-friendly deal that he does by trying to be paid the highest in the league. This is all truly short-sighted in my opinion.

Dak's agent, and Dak by proxy, have shown that money is all that matters. Win or lose, Dak is gonna get paid. We'll see if the cowboys have enough left in the cookie jar to field a competitive team.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

And water is still wet

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
you would think if dak is truly ur franchise qb that you would work out a long term deal