Twitter: Rapoport: Cowboys will franchise Dak again if they can't get a long-term deal done first

stargazer

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has completely mismanaged this situation. We will never win another Superbowl with him at the helm.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Dallas has never had a quarterback this greedy. Romo and Aikman never did this.

This is going on four years, if I'm not mistaken.

basel90

Reaction score
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

What a waste . Let him walk and build the defense with that cap money . Dak is not special

Scotman

Reaction score
Dak's agent, and Dak by proxy, have shown that money is all that matters. Win or lose, Dak is gonna get paid. We'll see if the cowboys have enough left in the cookie jar to field a competitive team.
I wish I was sure that you are wrong. But I'm not

plymkr

Reaction score
Just get it done you idiots, and you idiots I mean both parties
Exactly how I feel. The longer this goes the more toxic it gets with the organization, Dak and the fans. Just get it done and over with so everyone can move on.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dallas has never had a quarterback this greedy. Romo and Aikman never did this.

This is going on four years, if I'm not mistaken.

He could have been signed as soon as after the 2018 season. So only two years but this will be the 3rd opportunity.

Also keep in mind they might tag him so that they have more time to either trade him, or sign him.

The problem with the tag is Dallas has to make room to tag him. That makes it harder to sign any other players.

cristglo

Reaction score
Wonder if they've already baked this into the budget......$37.5M. Either way, considering his injury, it would not surprise me at all if Dak forces this issue a bit more. In other words, he wants his security NOW, not another year. Especially seeing so many QB needed teams out there.

Gosh darn I pray we dont have to go through this all off season. They need to get this deal done ASAP. Just give him the 4 years If its about years and Not money get er done Jerry!

starcity214

Reaction score
He could have been signed as soon as after the 2018 season. So only two years but this will be the 3rd opportunity.

Also keep in mind they might tag him so that they have more time to either trade him, or sign him.

The problem with the tag is Dallas has to make room to tag him. That makes it harder to sign any other players.

I got your solution..

Non exclusive FT.

If Jerry wasn't the worst GM in the league, this is exactly the way you should handle this.

First, offer 35M per year contract and if Dak denies it, use the non exclusive FT on him and let anither team deal with this mess while we get 2 first rounders in return.

The beauty of doing this is that if no other team is willing to sign Dak this way, that sets the market for him and his price drops.

Jerry would save face by saying he tried to give Dak a "fair" deal and Dak would come out as greedy.

Win win for jerry.

Someone please tell Jerry that he's allowed to "hurt players feelings" especially after everything that weve been through with Dak there is already bad blood just ask tad the weasel.

plymkr

Reaction score
If Dak has half a brain, he’ll sign the first fair contract put in front of him. I predict he signs for 5 years, with the team having an option to void after the 3rd year and Dak having an option to void after the 4th year.
I would be very happy with this scenario. If Dak reaches certain incentives than he can void out the last year. And the team can kill it after 3 years. And if the team voids the contract after 3 seasons then he'd get his wish to test the market again, sooner than expected. This would be perfect IMO. It would be a great compromise.

Flamma

Reaction score
I got your solution..

Non exclusive FT.

If Jerry wasn't the worst GM in the league, this is exactly the way you should handle this.

First, offer 35M per year contract and if Dak denies it, use the non exclusive FT on him and let anither team deal with this mess while we get 2 first rounders in return.

The beauty of doing this is that if no other team is willing to sign Dak this way, that sets the market for him and his price drops.

Jerry would save face by saying he tried to give Dak a "fair" deal and Dak would come out as greedy.

Win win for jerry.

Someone please tell Jerry that he's allowed to "hurt players feelings" especially after everything that weve been through with Dak there is already bad blood just ask tad the weasel.

That's probably why they gave him the exclusive tag. Look where it got him.

Your plan would have worked with a transition tag for 2020. But that's considered insulting. Then any team could offer him a contract without giving up two firsts. We'd then really know his value.

At this point it should definitely be a non exclusive tag. There are a lot more QB needy teams and someone might bite. But it still costs the same and Dallas would have to clear out almost 38 million to tag him. Then he has to sign it. Then if no team bites? That's a big cap hit to take on.

starcity214

Reaction score
That's probably why they gave him the exclusive tag. Look where it got him.

Your plan would have worked with a transition tag for 2020. But that's considered insulting. Then any team could offer him a contract without giving up two firsts. We'd then really know his value.

At this point it should definitely be a non exclusive tag. There are a lot more QB needy teams and someone might bite. But it still costs the same and Dallas would have to clear out almost 38 million to tag him. Then he has to sign it. Then if no team bites? That's a big cap hit to take on.

I thought his salary would drop with the Non exclusive tag

But in any case, this is the best way to do it because it would help set the market for him

Flamma

Reaction score
I thought his salary would drop with the Non exclusive tag

But in any case, this is the best way to do it because it would help set the market for him

Had they originally tagged him with non exclusive it would have been cheaper. This year too. But a 2nd tag, no matter what it is, is at minimum 20% higher than the first.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I haven't necessarily assumed Dak won't get another contract. Seemingly, he might have to temper his demands to something more compatible with the team's need to improve. He was all about serving the team's needs in the past. He should rightfully see fit to do so now, imho. Their chances of competing much better than they have won't be enhanced if he insists upon anything near the $40 mil mark that he seems so determined to get. He will still be able to get what he needs and more, with the additional benefits of outside revenue. I'm hoping he finally realizes that being paid an elite amount isn't ideally practical for himself, nor the team.
I think $34.5 mil for four years should serve his needs and allow the team a reasonably decent chance to improve their defense as needed.

34.5 mil per year??? A mere pittance! Do you expect the guy to live on Ramen Noodles and soda crackers??? :laugh:
Just kidding guy. But there are those here who will think 34.5 mil would be totally inadequate. :oldcouple:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Only among the CZ medical staff. Actual doctors continue to say he's ahead of schedule and will be ready to go well before the season.

True, but then they said Romo was ready to play as well, just before he broke that collar bone again.
I haven't heard or read this, but I think it's conceivable the Cowboys could be a little leery about a huge contract when he hasn't even returned yet from the broken ankle. It's just a thought.

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
I haven't necessarily assumed Dak won't get another contract. Seemingly, he might have to temper his demands to something more compatible with the team's need to improve. He was all about serving the team's needs in the past. He should rightfully see fit to do so now, imho.

Their chances of competing much better than they have won't be enhanced if he insists upon anything near the $40 mil mark that he seems so determined to get. He will still be able to get what he needs and more, with the additional benefits of outside revenue.

I'm hoping he finally realizes that being paid an elite amount isn't ideally practical for himself, nor the team. I think $34.5 mil for four years should serve his needs and allow the team a reasonably decent chance to improve their defense as needed.
Brady hardly ever got the huge contracts and he's a 7x SB champ.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
34.5 mil per year??? A mere pittance! Do you expect the guy to live on Ramen Noodles and soda crackers??? :laugh:
Just kidding guy. But there are those here who will think 34.5 mil would be totally inadequate. :oldcouple:

The FO and Dak should compromise for an agreement to be reached.

$34.5 mil on a 4-year deal would serve such a purpose. ;)

Dak's outside revenue makes up any difference.

Last edited: