Rapoport: Leonard agrees to 1-yr deal with Eagles

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Leonard would have helped with depth, but look great players don't get cut this late in the season so don't get yourself too worked up over Leonard picking the wrong team.

Elusiv1

Reaction score
Won't help them and that trash *** secondary!!lol...The Eagles have way more problems on that defense then Leonard to be honest!!lol

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Dallas angle, hurts alittle. But not too much. Dallas needs depth especially at LB. But for Leonard, it is a smart move.
He will not win a Superbowl with Dallas, hell, he won't even get to a NFC Conference game with the Cowboys. Even with Jerry Jones trying to sell more of his pyrite ( aka; fools gold ) to Leonard PLUS Parson trying to persuade him to come to Dallas, Leonard goes to the Eagles. DeMarcus Ware had to leave Dallas to play in a conference finals ( AFC ) and a Superbowl ( Denver ) and win a ring and eventually, like Ware, Parson will get frustrated with the Dallas organization and do what Demarcus did and leave.
Ware was released from Dallas. He would have stayed.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
As usual, "Dallas" is used as leverage to get a better deal or get taken more seriously elsewhere

Even when Dallas isn't interested, players (or agents) will float the idea of "I wanna go to Dallas. I grew up a Cowboy fan. Blah blah blah"

but Dallas very rarely signs "elite" FAs and doesn't even land non-elite FAs very often either.

Best big name FA signings ever: Deion, Owens... ?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Bet there are some playing time incentives involved. NFL signings are almost always about the money.
Not when there are offsets. He had this year guaranteed by the Colts.

And the reports are 1 year -- 1.08 million -- that's a minimum contact as any reasonable person would expect when someone else is paying the balance of his salary for 2023.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
As usual, "Dallas" is used as leverage to get a better deal or get taken more seriously elsewhere

Even when Dallas isn't interested, players (or agents) will float the idea of "I wanna go to Dallas. I grew up a Cowboy fan. Blah blah blah"

but Dallas very rarely signs "elite" FAs and doesn't even land non-elite FAs very often either.

Best big name FA signings ever: Deion, Owens... ?
He did not get a better deal in Philadelphia. He gets paid $16.5M this season. Period. End of story. The only question is which team picks up the tab. Both Dallas and Philadelphia offered him minimum deals, with the Colts picking up the rest of the tab for his salary in 2023. It had to do with best fit for Leonard's career goals. He'll get to play more in Philadelphia. That's the bottom line.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Not a shocker. Him and the coach was together in Indy so they always had the leg up.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Not when there are offsets. He had this year guaranteed by the Colts.

And the reports are 1 year -- 1.08 million -- that's a minimum contact as any reasonable person would expect when someone else is paying the balance of his salary for 2023.
And they only have to pay 5/17ths of that salary, since there are only 5 games left.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I don't understand why the Colts, still in the playoff hunt would get rid of "such a great player" in the stretch run of the season?

lwehlers

Reaction score
wow i am not really surprised that leonard picked the eagles. every free agent aviods this team like the plague.

GoldenR

Reaction score
He definitely helps us right now as we have a safety playing LB. We need a LB desperately along with a DT to stop the run and nothing changes with this organization. Eagles needed help at LB and get the help they need. Were gonna have to score over 40 points a game against good teams. Both the 49ers and Eagles put up 70 points combined against this D and a guy named GENO shoulda beat this D.

bigE79

Reaction score
doc-holliday-tombstone.gif
Love Doc

817Gill

Reaction score
My theory was he was not playing because he didn’t want to play for them. We will know with his new destination how bad or good he is
Nah, he was devastated when they cut him and in his exit press conference said he was willing to be a back up to stay.

He’s one of those pillar of the franchise retire with the same team kind of guys. Unfortunately for him his play regressed immensely with his neck and back injuries and the colts had no use paying a backup LB top dollar. Especially when they would be on the hook for his salary next year had he gotten injured in any capacity.

This is “player not as good as his contract and prime self” 101. NFL business as usual.