Rapoport: Rivers and Brees are retiring

lkelly

Reaction score
Wonder if the Rapist is next?

Brady is still playing at a high level but the drop off is noticeable. Will he know when to quit?

Just about every other so called great QB held on one or two years too long. Brees should have hung it up last year. Favre hung on one year too long. Peyton Manning was pathetic the last part of his last year.

This was Peyton after his last, excrutiating game with the Broncos:

Valkyr

Reaction score
Brees and Joe Tiller helped bring the forward pass to the Big Ten, that was great back in the olden days of 1998.

Valkyr

Reaction score
And it always looked like it hurt like hell the way Rivers threw the ball.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even after the Eagles actually fired a Super Bowl winning HC supposedly for the sake of Wentz ?
Pederson's departure changed the dynamics. And that's why I'm not taking Bones Fassell as HC seriously.
i'd think they'd want a HC with very strong QB -offensive mind to accommodate Wentz. (ala Kellen, Josh Daniels)
If Pederson were staying, then I could easily see a Wentz trade ,..but now ?

In my opinion, the dysfunction didn’t all leave town with Pederson. I think the Eagles are still in quite a bind in many areas. Wentz at the forefront.

And any coach considering that job had better get a 6-year deal and be prepared to take his lumps.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Even after the Eagles actually fired a Super Bowl winning HC supposedly for the sake of Wentz ?
Pederson's departure changed the dynamics. And that's why I'm not taking Bones Fassell as HC seriously.
i'd think they'd want a HC with very strong QB -offensive mind to accommodate Wentz. (ala Kellen, Josh Daniels)
If Pederson were staying, then I could easily see a Wentz trade ,..but now ?

Wentz has played at a very high level. Played poorly of course at times, but based on his history the potential to be very good again is there.

Eagles do have Hurts, he's shown potential. Having two competing quarterbacks isn't a good thing generally, the "they'll push each other" is a nice thing to say, and it may even happen, but the team needs to know who's "the guy", and whoever is designated the backup isn't going to be happy and that affects the team. Once Roger was given the starter's job, Morton was traded. Landry knew what he had in Staubach but also that he didn't want Morton around any more than Morton wanted to be in Dallas as a backup.

It will come down to what they can get for Wentz, assuming he does want to leave, which by all indications is the case. And that of course requires a team to make the deal, not so sure the Colts want to take on a reclamation project, or a quarterback who openly expresses his displeasure with his current situation.

Could go either way...

Carson

Reaction score
How in the world will the Saints be able to pay Dak? Have you seen the Saints’ cap situation? Worst in the league and the cap looks to be around $180M for 2021. Saints will have a hard time paying even Winston.

After trading for Kwon Alexander it put them $100 million OVER the cap lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I look at this as Colts and Saints are possible draft day trading partners if there is a QB there when we pick.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There's the draft or they could trade for Wentz without having to give up two 1st round draft picks. Reich had great success with him before. They might want Prescott but surely they wouldn't give up two first round draft picks for him - who would?

Wentz is at best as good as Dak, but not better. If Dak's not worth two 1st rounders, neither is Wentz.

Drafting a quarterback is always a risk, the NFL is littered with 1st round quarterback failures,

Don't see Dak going anywhere...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Two more franchises that will need a solid QB to be competitive enough to get to the playoffs. Two more teams in the hunt and may need to draft one.

quickccc

Reaction score
In my opinion, the dysfunction didn’t all leave town with Pederson. I think the Eagles are still in quite a bind in many areas. Wentz at the forefront.

And any coach considering that job had better get a 6-year deal and be prepared to take his lumps.

True. That future HC better have thick skin as they come ,
but as much as I can't stand Philly fans, .. it's not quite the level of Houston Texas as epitome of dysfunctional …....or Detroit lions.as ever perennial losers.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If the Eagles could trade him, they can actually save money this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

I think the question is whether Reich wants to trade for him.

I did not think it was possible for the Eagles to save money trading him this year. Cutting or trading him will accelerate a lot of dead cap. I do not think trading him allows the hit over two years.

Eagles are basically screwed with Wentz and his contract and might have to sweeten the trade with a draft pick or two to get a team to take Wentz’s contract.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
QBz are easy to find

Good list, but take Giants and Dolphins off, Jones and Tua haven't proven they need replacing, too young, especially Tua.

Falcons don't "need" a franchise quarterback, Ryan is still pretty good, their defense is the problem. Take the Falcons off.

But that still leaves 11 teams. Not that many franchise quarterbacks available, even adding the draft prospects and current available, or possibly available, quarterbacks.

Most of those teams are going to be sorely disappointed....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
True. That future HC better have thick skin as they come ,
but as much as I can't stand Philly fans, .. it's not quite the level of Houston Texas as epitome of dysfunctional …....or Detroit lions.as ever perennial losers.

Yeah, when I get down on the Cowboys I just say to myself "Just imagine if I was a Lions fan"...:grin: