Rapoport: Rivers and Brees are retiring

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rivers has 7 or 8 kids I think and a few of them are in high school or about to be. I think he wants to be home with his family. Remember he commuted from San Diego to L.A. last year (2 hours each way without traffic) when the Chargers moved rather than disrupting and uprooting his family. I think that says all you need to know about how much keeping the family stable and grounded means to him. Then again I would not have moved my family to L.A. either.. no matter how much money they offered me.

Clearly the man has spent 16 years in this league and now feels it is time. Can't blame him. Just a bit caught by surprise only for the reason he just got to indy and showed some success but 16 years is a long time in this game

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Hey, if Dak signs for 32 million/y, I won’t be miserable, I’ll be right there cheering with you

My problem is that Jerry will cave and give him 37-40 million and that will hamstring this team for years

Dak is never going to sign for that much below market value. Nor does he have to. The Cowboys and he can structure the deal with a big signing bonus and a long term and reduce his cap his to below 20 million for the next year or two. Then when the cap recovers from Covid the cap goes up, and his cap hit with it. In three years his cap hit might be over 40 million.. but if the cap is 300 million who will care? Certainly not me.. If the cap hits go something like 20, 30, 35, 45, 50. That's 180 million over 5 years.. Maybe guarantee the whole deal as an incentive to get him signed. Those first two years we get tons of cap room to bolster the defense and then once the new TV deals kick in the cap jumps and so do the cap hits. Dak's get his deal, the Cowboys get their QB .. and get their cap room and I get to laugh at people who hate Dak. It's a win win win win..

J-man

Reaction score
I know this isn't Cowboys related but not sure where to put it.
Does this effect the top end of the draft?
Will they go after Wentz or Watson?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Brees is official also. Colts and Saints possible trade partners, if they want a QB at #10.
We can swap 1st rounds, and get a 1st rounder in 2021, plus a 2nd in 2020, or a 3rd. Depending point values. We may need more, since we will be dropping a lot of spots.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao2:
140852098_4061777293868928_4329479315758719403_o.jpg

J-man

Reaction score
Sad for both of their careers. Rivers was good enough to win super bowls and Drew should have gotten more than one.
Hate to say it but I think this only increases Dak's value/cost. His name just moved up the list of top starting QBs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Sad for both of their careers. Rivers was good enough to win super bowls and Drew should have gotten more than one.
Hate to say it but I think this only increases Dak's value/cost. His name just moved up the list of top starting QBs.

It was already there.. at least the list of available QBs. He was also already better than both those old dudes..

J-man

Reaction score
It was already there.. at least the list of available QBs. He was also already better than both those old dudes..

Before this season, I don't think you would have found many people saying Dak was better than Breeze, if any. He probably would have got some votes as a little better than Rivers, but I highly doubt everyone would've agreed to that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Rivers still appears to have a little left in the tank. He had a pretty good year leading the Colts to 11 wins.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This post should be in the NFL zone or the Draft Discussion Zone.

For some reason they’re allowing a lot of these threads unrelated to the Cowboys here. The more unrelated Cowboys news they allow in the Fan Zone the more fans keep posting them here. Most want their threads here anyway it’s where most of the traffic is.

Last edited:

JustChip

Reaction score
That would be a surprise. Stafford has been about big money since he entered the league. And Belichick has always expected a discount at the position.
But near the end of a career, players of Stafford’s level who have never tasted a championship trade some money for a championship opportunity.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Before this season, I don't think you would have found many people saying Dak was better than Breeze, if any. He probably would have got some votes as a little better than Rivers, but I highly doubt everyone would've agreed to that.

Really? NFL network and ESPN both ranked Dak as the #1 free agent on the market last year.. Hint, Rivers was on the market last year too. As for coming into this season.. Sure folks probably would have ranked Brees ahead of of Dak at the beginning of the year but after watching them both play this season I don't think many people would still rank them that way.. Brees fell off hard this year while Dak was setting records.. It is what it is.. and Father Time is undefeated. he took out Brees this year.. Now he can turn his full attention to Brady..

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Hey, if Dak signs for 32 million/y, I won’t be miserable, I’ll be right there cheering with you

My problem is that Jerry will cave and give him 37-40 million and that will hamstring this team for years

This is so silly. So $5 to 8 million is going to hamstring this team for years?

visionary

Reaction score
This is so silly. So $5 to 8 million is going to hamstring this team for years?

this is so silly, it doesn’t deserve a response

teams apparently negotiate lower salaries for players for no reason. Let’s give all good players 5-8 million per year more than the tram thinks they deserve

it’s called addition, look it up, it might help you in 4th grade next year

Praxit

Reaction score
...got to feel for Rivers such bad luck. Couldn't get to the big dance at least once. Then you have Brady who will be 44, one game away from appearing in his 9th SB.

... life is not fair and certainly bias towards, .. who gets the breaks.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
with a few more retiring, dak has a chance to make it in at number ten finally. well almost at number ten.

Last edited: