Video: Rapoport w Shan & RJ: Cowboys had Parsons above CBs

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I doubt it. He looked out of shape at rookie minicamp. He was clearly not the best LB there. That seems to be Cox.

Joe, don't dig that hole so deep that you can't climb out of it. But then on 2nd thought...........Keep digging. :laugh:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Joe, don't dig that hole so deep that you can't climb out of it. But then on 2nd thought...........Keep digging. :laugh:
I'm not digging. If you don't like what the honest folks that were there are reporting, don't blame me. I'm just spreading the word of what's already been reported.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So initially I didn't think they would. I thought they should've went Parsons. But I Do believe the Cowboys KNEW they didn't want Parsons or they didn't want a linebacker. And how it played out kind of says that. They could've went linebacker at 20 or wherever they were at and still didn't. They seemed to be adamant on wide receiver. I disagree with it because I think Parsons makes that defense LEGIT for years to come.

Unless I'm missing something why did the Giants trade out of their pick after the Cowboys traded with the Eagles knowing Parsons would still be there? They seemed to really want Devonta Smith.

I think that the deal the Bears offered them made the difference and getting that 2022 first rounder and more for dropping 9 spots.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I'm not digging. If you don't like what the honest folks that were there are reporting, don't blame me. I'm just spreading the word of what's already been reported.

It's not a matter of like or dislike of the so called reporting, I think he's better than that and you don't. If in fact he's a little out of shape that's not that surprising since he didn't play last season. That'll change. I really liked the draft pick and you didn't. Once the season gets going I don't think it'll take too long for the truth to become evident. Parsons is going to become the centerpiece of this defense.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not a matter of like or dislike of the so called reporting, I think he's better than that and you don't. If in fact he's a little out of shape that's not that surprising since he didn't play last season. That'll change. I really liked the draft pick and you didn't. Once the season gets going I don't think it'll take too long for the truth to become evident. Parsons is going to become the centerpiece of this defense.
You sure do think a lot of things that currently don't seem to be true. You also don't understand my opinion of Parsons. I didn't hate the pick. He was the best pick available. I'm willing to let him prove himself. His first showing just wasn't all that.

phildadon86

Reaction score
How badly does this defense need a guy to fly around and make plays and be vocal leader type?

I very much hope he embraces that type of leadership role. The defense should be built around him moving ahead.
Personally I think he’s already our best player on defense

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think that the deal the Bears offered them made the difference and getting that 2022 first rounder and more for dropping 9 spots.
Yeah but if Devonta Smith is there are they trading down? I don't think so because that's a player they wanted. I think the trade down only became a available when the guys they wanted wasn't there....and then of course after the draft we hear the "we would've taken Toney at 12 if he was there".....

kskboys

Reaction score
Aye props to you. I Don't recall many wanting him. Actually its kind of hilarious looking back....people said all types of negative things about him like he's a diva and a head case and all sorts of things....now he's the savior lol.
I know, I was bamfoozled the whole time. I mean, this cat is a super prospect, one of those generational types. That fact that we got him at 12 and an extra 3rd to boot blows my mind!!!! Maybe we finally have someone on staff in Quinn who knows how to blow smoke to maximize!!!!!!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but if Devonta Smith is there are they trading down? I don't think so because that's a player they wanted. I think the trade down only became a available when the guys they wanted wasn't there....and then of course after the draft we hear the "we would've taken Toney at 12 if he was there".....

I think the Giants and Cowboys’ situations were exactly the same. Both teams had their targeted player(s) drafted just ahead of their selection and pivoted after receiving very good offers to trade down. And both teams ultimately benefitted from what could have been an otherwise unfortunate situation.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I thought they were going to pick one of Horn or Surtain. I really liked Parsons… particularly if they use him getting after the QB. At first I was concerned about character issues… but I eventually dug into it and there wasn’t much to find. Everything was overblown. Once I found out the reason he opted out of 2020 and that he tried to come back once the big 10 finally decided to play… I was fine with him.

In fact, I thought he would just about be the best pick if the team would use him both as an off-ball LB and as an on-ball pass rusher. My problem with Parsons as the choice was that I thought the team would just stick him back at LB and leave him there. His impact would be lessened quite a bit if you don’t send him after the QB. He’ll be very good at MLB but using him in different ways can make him a game changer IMO.

Imagine how happy I was to hear that they’re going to play him both on and off the ball. Definitely the best choice we could have made.

I think I said something similar in a thread a couple of months ago. I’ll see if I can find it.

OK I found it from January 30th. I said this about him:

Here is the thread it is in (post 5):

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-...ear-based-on-the-roster.472839/#post-10779223

I’m just saying that some of us didn’t hate the pick before Dallas drafted him. Had I known that Dallas would use him like I wanted them to… I would have been talking about him and nobody else.
And this is another thing and Stasheroo spoke on it in a thread.

We had a bunch of signs that maybe this team was going to go in a different direction that they could utilize a guy like Parsons. They've been taking linebackers and we all thought it was probably to replace what we have when in reality it was to go in a different direction on defense then we've previously been.

And I understand what you're saying. I feel like my criticism of the pick was due to the same concerns you had. Why waste a high pick on him when this team wasn't going to use him enough to make it worth it?

So yeah to be Surtain and Horn represented the safer but smarter picks.

But make no mistake......Parsons if used right was the one player who could change the whole identity of this offense. Those corners couldn't do it.

And now i'm wondering with the corners we took later on like Wright....makes you wonder if they were even going in that direction at corner.

kskboys

Reaction score
And this is another thing and Stasheroo spoke on it in a thread.

We had a bunch of signs that maybe this team was going to go in a different direction that they could utilize a guy like Parsons. They've been taking linebackers and we all thought it was probably to replace what we have when in reality it was to go in a different direction on defense then we've previously been.

And I understand what you're saying. I feel like my criticism of the pick was due to the same concerns you had. Why waste a high pick on him when this team wasn't going to use him enough to make it worth it?

So yeah to be Surtain and Horn represented the safer but smarter picks.

But make no mistake......Parsons if used right was the one player who could change the whole identity of this offense. Those corners couldn't do it.

And now i'm wondering with the corners we took later on like Wright....makes you wonder if they were even going in that direction at corner.

Taking either of the CB's over Parsons would've been reaching for need. IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I am. I think he's that good.
I think he CAN be that good. For sure. I'm not going to be one of those fans that wants to temper excitement of other fans. My own concerns have more to do with me just waiting to see him actually play in the NFL before I crown him but I understand the hype.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Taking either of the CB's over Parsons would've been reaching for need. IMO.
It just depends on how you graded them. To me Parsons is the better player but they all have similar ceilings. We are talking about all of these guys can be stars in this league. It would not shock me one bit. Same goes for Slater.