Video: Rapoport w Shan & RJ: Cowboys had Parsons above CBs

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Yeah that's the mystery.

And I do wonder did they know they wouldn't go Parsons......seems like it would've been fitting for them to just take Parsons if that Bears wasn't there unless it was true that they just didn't want Parsons on their team.

I can maybe see that Parsons was indeed on top of their draft board but I am pretty sure the Cowboys would have drafted one of the Corners ahead of Parsons due of the more glaring need at that position.

If that would have been the right thing to do is another question.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Without reading all eight pages, this actually makes sense. Pre-draft smokescreens are common; and there's a real chance the Cowboys played up their interest in the corners when their target was Parsons all along.

I remember for several seasons fans complained that Dallas was "telegraphing" their target players before the draft. Maybe this time they outsmarted everybody.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Without reading all eight pages, this actually makes sense. Pre-draft smokescreens are common; and there's a real chance the Cowboys played up their interest in the corners when their target was Parsons all along.

I remember for several seasons fans complained that Dallas was "telegraphing" their target players before the draft. Maybe this time they outsmarted everybody.

That is why it is so hard for me to buy it. They did it for years, why would they change all of the sudden.

Best example was the Trysten Hill pick. Some were reporting it right ahead of the draft that the Cowboys would go with Hill while everybody else was like: Who?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I can maybe see that Parsons was indeed on top of their draft board but I am pretty sure the Cowboys would have drafted one of the Corners ahead of Parsons due of the more glaring need at that position.

If that would have been the right thing to do is another question.

I questioned it last season.....why as a fanbase were we so enamored with those corners? Was it because we lost Awuzie and it just made sense to replace him? We all sat here all year pissed about our lack of plays and our linebackers. The best playmaker in this draft was a linebacker. Now I get why the Cowboys may have been reluctant because they had money and a draft pick invested in LVE and Jaylon.......but we honestly all should've wanted Parsons to be the pick.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
No team does it pure. Many times there are players with very similar grades and they are going to lean towards more important positions or needs when close.

I'm pretty sure I have seen some front office people & coaches interviewed (multiple organizations) who said they did rank purely (ie, independent of need).

They don't want to bake need into the board and then in crunch time factor in need again. In other words you don't want to rank a guy 10 factoring in need when he should be ranked 15th and then compare him as a 10 versus the 8th player who was both talent & need. If you have ranked purely as 8 & 15 it gives you a direct measure of how much talent you would be giving up to draft for need.

kskboys

Reaction score

Ian even went on to say Dallas would have traded back if Micah was gone but one of the CBs were available. Interesting....

I like it myself just because if true it means the team was really sold on dude and didn't just settle. I also really like Parsons and think we did well to get Joseph in the 2nd.

I would hope so. The CB's weren't even near the level of Parsons as a prospect.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The boy scouts were players like the offensive lineman, Byron, etc.

That makes no sense. Byron was misused for his first 3 years but found a home a CB. Our secondary took a nose dive without him and the OL WAS one of the best in the NFL with 2 future HOFers. I guess that not tough enough for you. lol

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Ian even went on to say Dallas would have traded back if Micah was gone but one of the CBs were available. Interesting....

I like it myself just because if true it means the team was really sold on dude and didn't just settle. I also really like Parsons and think we did well to get Joseph in the 2nd.

Crappaport. He's a known liar.

ghst187

Reaction score
I keep seeing this comment about the corner is more desired than a LB.

So, Deion Sanders is sitting there at 12 along with Ray Lewis or Mike Singletary. Deion can affect one side of the field. A middle linebacker that can play sideline to sideline, and backfield to up field seems to have more influence on the field than a corner. Else why do teams target the weak corner in their passing games? Because throwing to the other side away from a Deion offers success, where the generational linebacker (and both Deion and Lewis were generational at their positions) the linebacker seems to do more. Especially when you understand he also is the QB of the defense and gets people in position as well as calling out what he reads from the offense.

The game is skewed toward scoring, thus the rules which give the receivers the edge. But this game is still based on moving chains, and that requires a running game along with a clean pocket for the QB.

No pass rush, no pass defense. We've seen this for how many years now? Don't stop the run, your defense is on its heels and play action dominates your secondary.

i was talking about contract costs only

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
*pretty cool thread there O.P.:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

( I know this is gonna' sound kinda' stupid,but, I damner' instantly go into "mini panic mode" after hitting a fellow forum members post w/ a "like" only to quickly scroll up in verification that the poster WAS NOT SPORTIN' A ROWDY avatar,while on the surface ,that rings of the clear tunes tone in being a totally messed-up& FUBAR MODIUS OPERANDI,,I must maintain my impeccable credibility of adherence to the standards of one's personal CODE:starspin:

kskboys

Reaction score
I questioned it last season.....why as a fanbase were we so enamored with those corners? Was it because we lost Awuzie and it just made sense to replace him? We all sat here all year pissed about our lack of plays and our linebackers. The best playmaker in this draft was a linebacker. Now I get why the Cowboys may have been reluctant because they had money and a draft pick invested in LVE and Jaylon.......but we honestly all should've wanted Parsons to be the pick.
I did. Badly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I did. Badly.
Aye props to you. I Don't recall many wanting him. Actually its kind of hilarious looking back....people said all types of negative things about him like he's a diva and a head case and all sorts of things....now he's the savior lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
DEN and CAR will regret passing on him. Possibly Cincy, ATL, and MIA also.
I'm still pissed...I mean I won't knock the Panthers they have a young defense and were like us building up that defense for the past few years. But the Bronco's.....for them to pass up on a QB when they've been searching for one in favor of a corner.......they deserve what ever piss poor play they get at QB....and I hope a A Rod trade doesn't bail them out.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Aye props to you. I Don't recall many wanting him. Actually its kind of hilarious looking back....people said all types of negative things about him like he's a diva and a head case and all sorts of things....now he's the savior lol.
I thought they were going to pick one of Horn or Surtain. I really liked Parsons… particularly if they use him getting after the QB. At first I was concerned about character issues… but I eventually dug into it and there wasn’t much to find. Everything was overblown. Once I found out the reason he opted out of 2020 and that he tried to come back once the big 10 finally decided to play… I was fine with him.

In fact, I thought he would just about be the best pick if the team would use him both as an off-ball LB and as an on-ball pass rusher. My problem with Parsons as the choice was that I thought the team would just stick him back at LB and leave him there. His impact would be lessened quite a bit if you don’t send him after the QB. He’ll be very good at MLB but using him in different ways can make him a game changer IMO.

Imagine how happy I was to hear that they’re going to play him both on and off the ball. Definitely the best choice we could have made.

I think I said something similar in a thread a couple of months ago. I’ll see if I can find it.

OK I found it from January 30th. I said this about him:

3) I don’t think the team is ready to give up on either Smith or LVE. I honestly doubt that Dallas will use a top 10 pick at that position because primarily just two LB’s play on most downs and in the team’s eyes... they have that covered with Smith/LVE. However, if Quinn might have designs on using Parsons some at LB and some at LEO getting after the passer, then I’d be more than down with that. Parsons is incredibly athletic and can do so much on defense to help, including being a pretty accomplished pass rusher. If they’re going to be creative with him and put him in position to make plays, then not only would I pick him at 10... but I’d be very excited about us picking him

Here is the thread it is in (post 5):

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-...ear-based-on-the-roster.472839/#post-10779223

I’m just saying that some of us didn’t hate the pick before Dallas drafted him. Had I known that Dallas would use him like I wanted them to… I would have been talking about him and nobody else.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Horn or Surtain would have been fine, but had we drafted either we would still be stuck with questions at LB. Similar to last year we took the most dynamic player in the first round except this time on Defense.
Totally agree. I liked Parsons, but I thought they'd take Horn or Surtain and I'd have been happy with either, but Dallas stole the show with Parsons. IMO Parsons will do more for this defense than any other pick could've done!
I don't know if Parsons was their top choice all along or not, I'm just really glad we got the guy that we got.