Rashaan Evans VS Leighton Vander Esch

jday

Reaction score
Over the last several days I’ve been campaigning for the Cowboys to draft a run-stopping linebacker (Rashaan Evans) over a coverage linebacker (Leighton Van Esch), should they address the position in the first round of this year’s draft. What I have not done is truly breakdown why I believe the Cowboys should focus more on stopping the run versus stopping the pass, when it comes to the type of defensive players they take in the upcoming draft.

The specific debate in question is whether or not the Cowboys should draft Rashaan Evans (run-stopper) or Leighton Van Esch (coverage linebacker). Before moving forward, I should probably point out that even though the aforementioned linebackers seem to be more adept at one versus the other (run-stopping vs coverage), that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are scrubs at the other skillset. For instance, Rashaan is not really seen as a coverage linebacker because he wasn’t used that way; that doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t do it.

Alternatively, Leighton was used more in coverage than Evans and therefore had more opportunities to display his ability in that area…but just like with Evans, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a wet paper sack against the run; based on what I’ve watched and read about Leighton, he’s an instinctive player with above-average athleticism, and is absolutely a tackling machine. So there will be no tears in my beer should the Cowboys decide one way or another…though, I do still believe Esch would be a reach at 19 in consideration of the competition he played against while in college. Evans is a product of the NFL player factory Alabama Crimson Tide, so the adjustment from college to the NFL will not be nearly as pronounced as it would be for Esch.

2017 Stats:

Rashaan Evans – in 12 Games, he had 35 solo tackles, 39 assist, 13 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 3 passes defensed, and 1 forced fumble.

Leighton Vander Esch – in 14 games, he had 91 solo tackles, 50 assist, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 2 interceptions, 5 passes defensed, and 4 forced fumbles.

Before deciding based on stats that Leighton is the better player, keep in mind he played in the Mountain West Conference lining up behind a subpar defensive line (as compared to the defensive line of Alabama) and Rashaan plays in the SEC (SEC >MWC…and it’s not even close) behind a line that features players both on the defensive line and in the secondary who will also be drafted in the top 50 this year, so clearly Rashaan was up against stronger competition on the other side of the ball surrounded by stronger competition to get to the ball carrier.

Looking at the Cowboys linebacking core as it stands now, outside of Sean Lee, there really is no one adept at sifting through traffic and shutting the run down before it gets started. I like Jaylon’s potential, but I believe in this particular area, he really struggles. Runs up the middle, he often times allowed the action to come to him rather than meeting the runner at the hole. On runs to the outside, I would often see him late to diagnose and he would take poor angles to the ball carrier, often landing in a trail position where he did not have the overall speed necessary to catch up to the ball. This is why I suspect the Cowboys are considering moving him to Strong Side; the move, in a manner of speaking, cuts the field in half for him, and gives him a little more time to diagnose where the ball is going before he attacks.

The Jaylon transition to the strong side (as well as Hitchens Free Agency exit) leaves a gaping hole in the Cowboys’ defense at middle linebacker. In my opinion, it is critical that the Cowboys value explosion to the ball carrier over adept coverage ability, when ultimately deciding how to address that particular vacancy.

Why?

Complimentary football.

The Cowboys offense, since 2014, has adopted a ball-control strategy. Everything the Cowboys do hinges on their run game. If the run game is successful the Cowboys typically win. If the run game is stifled, the Cowboys usually lose. But, even if the Cowboys do get their ground game going, there is one other consideration their success hinges on: their ability to in turn shutdown the oppositions run game. It’s critical. There is no way around it. If you don’t believe me, go re-watch the Rams, Falcons, or the Broncos game from 2017 for a visual representation of what I mean.

Clearly, it is also imperative that the Cowboys be able to keep pace with the passing offenses that are out there; I’m not advocating they ignore that aspect of their defense. But in terms of ardent needs that their roster currently has, a linebacker adept at getting to the ball carrier in a hurry would be ideal. To be honest, my preference (for this same reason) would be for the Cowboys to draft Vita Vea. But since he is not likely to be available at 19 (and if he was, there is little guarantee the Cowboys will change their stance on the value of a true 1-tech), the next best option available would be to address the middle of their defense at the next level.

Thoughts?

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
We need to make sure we grab a ball hawking saftey if we want to use a run stopping LB in this draft

jday

Reaction score
3-4, take Evans
4-3, take Esch
I'm just curious...are you just simply looking at there physical make-up and deciding who you think would be a better fit in our defensive scheme?

I ask, because in 2015, I suspect the Cowboys did something similar.

With the 27th pick overall, the Dallas Cowboys selected Byron Jones (UConn - FBS).

Six picks later, the Giants landed Landon Collins (Alabama Crimson Tide - SEC).

Byron Jones has worked out so well they are trying him at corner next year.

Landon Collins has been to 2 Pro Bowl's.

Things that make you go "Hmmmm."

:grin:

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I'll bite...why?
I consider the threat of a ball hawking saftey enough to warrent taking a run stopper at LB with the CB position set. If Lawrence goes down with some sort of injury it would seem to be difficult to place a ton of pressure on the QB unless Taco improves and Gregory comes back in and makes himself reliable. There is the threat of Irving there but I would like to see enough threats on the passing game as possible.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they don't look at Ridley, if he falls to us, and they don't trade up for R.Smith or D.James (or those two don't fall to us)...I think it will boil down to Evans or Esch.

I think you would be ok taking either one although I am sure many will complain that they were taken too early. They will say they are second round picks while forgetting to consider that most of those with 1st round grades on most boards will probably be gone around our pick so we will likely be taking a pick that some deem as a second round pick. So I have not problem with one of those two being the pick and as I said in this thread and another (barring changing my mind) I think they will both be the third option and could be the most likely option of what the boys do on Draft Day.

With that said...I do wander which LB they grade higher ( I imagine they would be close) and I also wonder if they are graded closely...which do they see as the bigger need or fit for this team.

I think both could help this team...I have to imagine they believe one is better than the other in either grade or scheme fit.

No matter which...I do think it would be wise for fans to start thinking about one of these two being taken as a serious consideration.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over the last several days I’ve been campaigning for the Cowboys to draft a run-stopping linebacker (Rashaan Evans) over a coverage linebacker (Leighton Van Esch), should they address the position in the first round of this year’s draft. What I have not done is truly breakdown why I believe the Cowboys should focus more on stopping the run versus stopping the pass, when it comes to the type of defensive players they take in the upcoming draft.

The specific debate in question is whether or not the Cowboys should draft Rashaan Evans (run-stopper) or Leighton Van Esch (coverage linebacker). Before moving forward, I should probably point out that even though the aforementioned linebackers seem to be more adept at one versus the other (run-stopping vs coverage), that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are scrubs at the other skillset. For instance, Rashaan is not really seen as a coverage linebacker because he wasn’t used that way; that doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t do it.

Alternatively, Leighton was used more in coverage than Evans and therefore had more opportunities to display his ability in that area…but just like with Evans, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a wet paper sack against the run; based on what I’ve watched and read about Leighton, he’s an instinctive player with above-average athleticism, and is absolutely a tackling machine. So there will be no tears in my beer should the Cowboys decide one way or another…though, I do still believe Esch would be a reach at 19 in consideration of the competition he played against while in college. Evans is a product of the NFL player factory Alabama Crimson Tide, so the adjustment from college to the NFL will not be nearly as pronounced as it would be for Esch.

2017 Stats:

Rashaan Evans – in 12 Games, he had 35 solo tackles, 39 assist, 13 tackles for loss, 6 sacks, 3 passes defensed, and 1 forced fumble.

Leighton Vander Esch – in 14 games, he had 91 solo tackles, 50 assist, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 2 interceptions, 5 passes defensed, and 4 forced fumbles.

Before deciding based on stats that Leighton is the better player, keep in mind he played in the Mountain West Conference lining up behind a subpar defensive line (as compared to the defensive line of Alabama) and Rashaan plays in the SEC (SEC >MWC…and it’s not even close) behind a line that features players both on the defensive line and in the secondary who will also be drafted in the top 50 this year, so clearly Rashaan was up against stronger competition on the other side of the ball surrounded by stronger competition to get to the ball carrier.

Looking at the Cowboys linebacking core as it stands now, outside of Sean Lee, there really is no one adept at sifting through traffic and shutting the run down before it gets started. I like Jaylon’s potential, but I believe in this particular area, he really struggles. Runs up the middle, he often times allowed the action to come to him rather than meeting the runner at the hole. On runs to the outside, I would often see him late to diagnose and he would take poor angles to the ball carrier, often landing in a trail position where he did not have the overall speed necessary to catch up to the ball. This is why I suspect the Cowboys are considering moving him to Strong Side; the move, in a manner of speaking, cuts the field in half for him, and gives him a little more time to diagnose where the ball is going before he attacks.

The Jaylon transition to the strong side (as well as Hitchens Free Agency exit) leaves a gaping hole in the Cowboys’ defense at middle linebacker. In my opinion, it is critical that the Cowboys value explosion to the ball carrier over adept coverage ability, when ultimately deciding how to address that particular vacancy.

Why?

Complimentary football.

The Cowboys offense, since 2014, has adopted a ball-control strategy. Everything the Cowboys do hinges on their run game. If the run game is successful the Cowboys typically win. If the run game is stifled, the Cowboys usually lose. But, even if the Cowboys do get their ground game going, there is one other consideration their success hinges on: their ability to in turn shutdown the oppositions run game. It’s critical. There is no way around it. If you don’t believe me, go re-watch the Rams, Falcons, or the Broncos game from 2017 for a visual representation of what I mean.

Clearly, it is also imperative that the Cowboys be able to keep pace with the passing offenses that are out there; I’m not advocating they ignore that aspect of their defense. But in terms of ardent needs that their roster currently has, a linebacker adept at getting to the ball carrier in a hurry would be ideal. To be honest, my preference (for this same reason) would be for the Cowboys to draft Vita Vea. But since he is not likely to be available at 19 (and if he was, there is little guarantee the Cowboys will change their stance on the value of a true 1-tech), the next best option available would be to address the middle of their defense at the next level.

Thoughts?

The modern NFL is a passing league.

A 1st round LB better be really good at both.

A run stopper only can be obtained later or for low cost in free agency.

In regards to the specific players:
Vander Esch - He has the size to be a run stopper and to take on blocks from OLinemen. Finding a guy that size that is good in coverage is rare.

Is Evans bad in coverage or did they just not use him that way?

It seems that one will go several picks before the other; therefore I don't know if it's a straight up choice.

jday

Reaction score
I consider the threat of a ball hawking saftey enough to warrent taking a run stopper at LB with the CB position set. If Lawrence goes down with some sort of injury it would seem to be difficult to place a ton of pressure on the QB unless Taco improves and Gregory comes back in and makes himself reliable. There is the threat of Irving there but I would like to see enough threats on the passing game as possible.
There really isn't a true ballhawking Safety in this draft.

That said, I think the Cowboys are pretty well set in the secondary. Granted, with the expected shift of Byron to corner, there is a vacancy at FS. I'm just not sure outside of the top two (Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James) the Cowboys would consider anyone else an upgrade over Xavier Woods, who very well may be penciled in as the next starter.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Story out today that Evans has yet to run a 40. Apparently lots of questions about his speed. Looking more and more like LVE if we go LB in Round 1

jday

Reaction score
The modern NFL is a passing league.

True, but the ground game is making a comeback and, as I stated in the OP, regardless of what the league leans towards, the Cowboys need to shut down the oppositions run game, if they intend to continue their ball-control offensive strategy.

A 1st round LB better be really good at both.

That's very Broadus-esque of you to point-out. Just saying. Again, this was not to say that they are only good at one thing. One is just clearly a better fit as a run-stopper, the other seems to be better in coverage. They are both willing to do whatever their perspective teams ask them to do and can do it all fairly well. Though, I do wonder how well Esch will handle the huge leap in competition level.

A run stopper only can be obtained later or for low cost in free agency.

Evans is not just a run-stopper. However, his excelling in the capacity is why I lean towards taking him over Esch.

In regards to the specific players:
Vander Esch - He has the size to be a run stopper and to take on blocks from OLinemen. Finding a guy that size that is good in coverage is rare.

Is Evans bad in coverage or did they just not use him that way?

Nick Saban has an embarrassment of riches on his team....always. They didn't use Evans that way because they didn't need to .

It seems that one will go several picks before the other; therefore I don't know if it's a straight up choice.

Has someone hacked your account?

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
There really isn't a true ballhawking Safety in this draft.

That said, I think the Cowboys are pretty well set in the secondary. Granted, with the expected shift of Byron to corner, there is a vacancy at FS. I'm just not sure outside of the top two (Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James) the Cowboys would consider anyone else an upgrade over Xavier Woods, who very well may be penciled in as the next starter.
I really like Woods over Heath overall. The kid from Texas Elliott seems to have hands for the ball I believe he is a SS that seems to be graded in the third or fourth rd. A FS that likes the ball I am interested in would be Jessie Bates. I think Harrison who is a SS from Alabama is doing a workout with Garret.

jday

Reaction score

I want to make sure I fully understand what it is exactly you are saying:

Are you saying that unless we draft/acquire a ball hawking Safety, you would rather have Esch over Evans, based on his coverage ability?

If so, here's my response:

What? :huh:

I'm not even sure I understand why that matters. My best guess is whom ever they draft won't be on the field in most Dime/Nickel situation's anyway. So to be honest, I think Esch's coverage skills would be wasted on this team in his first year, unless Sean Lee get's injured.

jday

Reaction score
I really like Woods over Heath overall. The kid from Texas Elliott seems to have hands for the ball I believe he is a SS that seems to be graded in the third or fourth rd. A FS that likes the ball I am interested in would be Jessie Bates. I think Harrison who is a SS from Alabama is doing a workout with Garret.

I could see the Cowboys doing that. But, do you honestly think he would start over Woods? Maybe eventually, but initially he would be a Special Teams contributor here.