Rashaan Evans VS Leighton Vander Esch

jday

Reaction score
yea...never a good idea at a job interview to tell your future employer NO...not a good opening.

I think we fans and the media make more of 40 times than teams do. I suspect most team boards are pretty close to finished before the combine even takes place.

jday

Reaction score
not about the 40.
its the idea you tell them no.
not a good idea.
Do we know if that is really how it played out?

In other words, did a team literally ask him to run and he said "No." Or did he simply exercise his option to not participate and that was the end of it. My guess is, the truth is closer to the latter. But the media in a time of the year where news is scarce is going to turn it in to a middle finger at the NFL.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Funny you should mention it. Given the crowded receiver room at present, there are a couple of scenario's I could see playing out:

1. I'm not sure why I feel so strongly about this, but the way the draft seems to be shaping up, guys like Christian Kirk and/or DJ Moore could fall to the second round. 1. Wide Receivers taken in the first round in recent years have not panned out to an extent that would warrant taking them in the first round. 2. They both are widely regarded as slot players in the NFL, given their size. If one or both of them falls, I could see the Cowboys packaging Beasley with picks to grab one.

2. If there is an ideal replacement for what Dez brings in the draft, that is either Courtland Sutton or Equanimous St Brown. Should the Cowboys acquire either, considering the other acquisitions they made in Free Agency, the Cowboys might look to trade Dez for Thomas straight up...or package Dez with late 2019 picks.

3. If Courtland Sutton or Equanimous St Brown falls out of the first (which I know is unlikely), they may look to do the same scenario as 1, but with Dez instead of Beasley.

Note: Honestly, I'd prefer the Cowboys not address receiver at all. I think we have a receiving core you can win with and I think our needs are more pronounced elsewhere on the team. But given the number of pro days and visits they have had with receivers, you have to know the Cowboys think otherwise.
It's possible they think Sutton, Kirk or another receiver might be available at the end of the first and looking to trade up after getting safety or line backer in the first.

I would love Sutton. Trade Beasley and now we have a deep receiving corps with the future locked up. Keep Dez this season and then next season decide his fate.

conner01

Reaction score
The LB I want is the one who can best replace lee in the future
This season barring injury I don’t think any rookie LB is getting many reps because in nickel i suspect it’s gonna be lee and smith

jday

Reaction score
This season barring injury I don’t think any rookie LB is getting many reps because in nickel i suspect it’s gonna be lee and smith
Your exactly right, which is a big reason why I'm leaning towards the run-stopper. Even if they draft a linebacker specifically for his acumen as a cover guy, they likely won't use him over Lee and Smith in the Nickel and Dime. So while that may pan out down the road, that does little to nothing for us in 18. Hard to use a first on that...especially after that is basically what they did with Taco last year.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Wouldn’t Smith be the best option to replace Lee if we are still running the same defensive system when Lee leaves? I see them as both WLB leaving a need for a guy like Ro without the purple drank.

jday

Reaction score
Wouldn’t Smith be the best option to replace Lee if we are still running the same defensive system when Lee leaves? I see them as both WLB leaving a need for a guy like Ro without the purple drank.

That is the more likely scenario, given a situation where the Cowboys have to choose between having Smith or a rookie replace Lee. But my guess is they aren't done in Free Agency...they will be bringing in a veteran with very little tread left on the tires to probably fill that role in the event that Sean get's injured.

conner01

Reaction score
Maybe
It requires the ability to cover and support the run so who ever is best at both would be best pick
I haven’t watched enough of WV to really judge myself

conner01

Reaction score
Your exactly right, which is a big reason why I'm leaning towards the run-stopper. Even if they draft a linebacker specifically for his acumen as a cover guy, they likely won't use him over Lee and Smith in the Nickel and Dime. So while that may pan out down the road, that does little to nothing for us in 18. Hard to use a first on that...especially after that is basically what they did with Taco last year.
I don’t think any rookie LB is playing much this year
We play so much in Nicole and you know Lee is staying in and they appear to want smith in there in Nickle
I am excited to see smith blitz some this year

jday

Reaction score
It's possible they think Sutton, Kirk or another receiver might be available at the end of the first and looking to trade up after getting safety or line backer in the first.

I would love Sutton. Trade Beasley and now we have a deep receiving corps with the future locked up. Keep Dez this season and then next season decide his fate.

It's hard to get back into the first round without spending a future 1st round pick, which I don't want the Cowboys to do. With the aid of a Dez or Beasley though, they could easily get to the top of the second using their team-assigned second...or potentially a third, dependent on the value Beasley/Dez have to the team we contact. With the right quarterback, both Dez and Beasley could be monsters. Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger, or Rogers could put either one of them in the Pro Bowl. So, it's definitely a feasible option.

jday

Reaction score
I don’t think any rookie LB is playing much this year
We play so much in Nicole and you know Lee is staying in and they appear to want smith in there in Nickle
I am excited to see smith blitz some this year

That's what I see, too. But typically in the Nickel, the Sam leaves the field leaving the Will and the Mike. Initially, that's exactly what the Cowboys would do, which in my mind would be the perfect grooming process for the Mike they bring in. If said Rookie Mike could simply contribute to long down and distances, that to me would be worth a first round pick, which is why once again I want the Cowboys to focus on run-stopping over pass coverage. A pass coverage linebacker would be wasted on this team.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Do we know if that is really how it played out?

In other words, did a team literally ask him to run and he said "No." Or did he simply exercise his option to not participate and that was the end of it. My guess is, the truth is closer to the latter. But the media in a time of the year where news is scarce is going to turn it in to a middle finger at the NFL.

The problem is he didn’t run at the combine and has now not run at two different pro days. Either he is hiding an injury or he is afraid he till test poorly

Jracowboy

Reaction score
Vander esch especially if we can trade back a few spots n package picks to get the utep guard hernandez

jday

Reaction score
The problem is he didn’t run at the combine and has now not run at two different pro days. Either he is hiding an injury or he is afraid he till test poorly

That is admittedly a red flag. I'd say he probably over-prepared for the combine and may have tweaked something. Just watching him on the field, you would think at least 4.5 speed.

jday

Reaction score
Vander esch especially if we can trade back a few spots n package picks to get the utep guard hernandez
How certain are you he's not another Byron Jones?

Don't get me wrong... I like Byron (UConn)...but we could of had Landon Collins (Bama) who went to the Giants 6 picks later.

That's how the Evans Vs Esch debate feels to me...

PUSHfold

Reaction score
How certain are you he's not another Byron Jones?

Don't get me wrong... I like Byron (UConn)...but we could of had Landon Collins (Bama) who went to the Giants 6 picks later.

That's how the Evans Vs Esch debate feels to me...

How do you ever choose a player then? There's ALWAYS every single year players who end up being much better than players drafted before them.
It's a gamble...you do the best you can with the information available, period.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yeah the Earl Thomas trade is still a possibility but it won’t be for what Seattle is asking for at this moment in time. I wanna say Dallas makes a push right around the draft that may give Seattle a third this year and something next year that could have some sort of incentive attatched to it. I wouldn’t be suprised if a player was included with that push and we would receive Thomas and a future late round pick but that just speculation from me.
I could groove to that speculation,myself:thumbup:

Ol' JERRY did kinda' telegraph something like leading off with a haymaker blow of that magnitude.