Rashaan Evans VS Leighton Vander Esch

reddyuta

Reaction score
Evans is going to drop like a stone. Reports are that he wouldnt run at Pro day.

Its really weird.in game he looks so athletic but those BJ and VJ numbers are just plain bad and no idea why he refused to run the 40 AT ALL.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I want to make sure I fully understand what it is exactly you are saying:

Are you saying that unless we draft/acquire a ball hawking Safety, you would rather have Esch over Evans, based on his coverage ability?

If so, here's my response:

What? :huh:

I'm not even sure I understand why that matters. My best guess is whom ever they draft won't be on the field in most Dime/Nickel situation's anyway. So to be honest, I think Esch's coverage skills would be wasted on this team in his first year, unless Sean Lee get's injured.
I haven’t looked into Esch vs Evans enough to make an opinionated arguement on who would be better suited to take by the looks of it If they both fell to us in the 1st round I look at Evans more so the Esch. My post has more to do with position of need and the skillset they could be looking for in regards to why they draft the player that best meets the scheme. I am not saying we need a ball hawking saftey so take a certain LB but if we take a certain LB that has terrible coverage skills but can stop the run then say with the next pick the saftey spot seems to have a few different types of players around the same value on the teams board I would be looking at a saftey that has better QB vision rather than just a heavy hitter. I don’t know how much sense I am making if any lmao.

jday

Reaction score
Story out today that Evans has yet to run a 40. Apparently lots of questions about his speed. Looking more and more like LVE if we go LB in Round 1

I'm honestly not sure what the story is, but if the Cowboys are only using his 40 time to decide how fast he can play they are looking in the wrong place. Just watch the tape and watch how he explodes to the ball carrier.

RS12

Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure what the story is, but if the Cowboys are only using his 40 time to decide how fast he can play they are looking in the wrong place. Just watch the tape and watch how he explodes to the ball carrier.
It isnt about that. It is about when we spend the money to come interview you for a job, you need to complete the interview. The league certainly doesnt want this to become a trend.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I could see the Cowboys doing that. But, do you honestly think he would start over Woods? Maybe eventually, but initially he would be a Special Teams contributor here.
I think he would go to special teams almost immediately if we drafted him but considering Jones moving from FS to CB it gives us Woods, Frazier, and Heath with possibly Awuzie manning the SS/FS spots.
Unless theres someone Im missing I think taking a FS along with a SS that can possibly play special teams would be ideal.

jday

Reaction score
I haven’t looked into Esch vs Evans enough to make an opinionated arguement on who would be better suited to take by the looks of it If they both fell to us in the 1st round I look at Evans more so the Esch. My post has more to do with position of need and the skillset they could be looking for in regards to why they draft the player that best meets the scheme. I am not saying we need a ball hawking saftey so take a certain LB but if we take a certain LB that has terrible coverage skills but can stop the run then say with the next pick the saftey spot seems to have a few different types of players around the same value on the teams board I would be looking at a saftey that has better QB vision rather than just a heavy hitter. I don’t know how much sense I am making if any lmao.
Okay, I think I see what you are getting at. For you it's not really about Evans Vs. Esch but more so about positions of need vs each other: MLB VS FS. The problem I think the Cowboys will get into is deciding if what they have already in the combination of Jeff Heath, Kavon Frazier, and Xavier Woods is not better than what will be available where they are picking. If Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James is available at 19, my guess is they won't pass them up...but after those two, the fall off is huge. Anyone they pick that isn't those two, would likely be a Special Teams contributor in their first year. I'd hope they would wait until at least the 5th round, if that's all they intend to do with the player in their first year.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Okay, I think I see what you are getting at. For you it's not really about Evans Vs. Esch but more so about positions of need vs each other: MLB VS FS. The problem I think the Cowboys will get into is deciding if what they have already in the combination of Jeff Heath, Kavon Frazier, and Xavier Woods is not better than what will be available where they are picking. If Minkah Fitzpatrick or Derwin James is available at 19, my guess is they won't pass them up...but after those two, the fall off is huge. Anyone they pick that isn't those two, would likely be a Special Teams contributor in their first year. I'd hope they would wait until at least the 5th round, if that's all they intend to do with the player in their first year.
Ok cool you are spot on with what I was getting at lol. I can’t argue with what you are saying here but take into consideration we got Woods in the 6th round I believe. I do trust Will McClay when it comes to finding talent even though it won’t be 100% hit and 0% miss when it comes to player acquisition it does seem more than above normal compared to around the league.

jday

Reaction score
It isnt about that. It is about when we spend the money to come interview you for a job, you need to complete the interview. The league certainly doesnt want this to become a trend.

I understand both sides of the story. As a player, you can lose millions of dollars for running a slow 40 yards that your job rarely requires you to run. That's why I keep saying, just watch the tape. He has more then enough short area quickness to do the job.

That said, the Cowboys do have him scheduled for a visit, so there is no telling what type of drills they'll put him through to assess his physical ability, if that is even an option. I'm not sure what teams are allowed to do with these players on these visits, but again, I do think an extended look at his tape should provide them a good understanding of his football speed, which is all that really matters, in my opinion.

jday

Reaction score
Ok cool you are spot on with what I was getting at lol. I can’t argue with what you are saying here but take into consideration we got Woods in the 6th round I believe. I do trust Will McClay when it comes to finding talent even though it won’t be 100% hit and 0% miss when it comes to player acquisition it does seem more than above normal compared to around the league.

And he was a steal! He was one of my pet cats last year, only I had us taking him in the fourth, so you can imagine how excited I was to see him fall that far right into our lap. For that reason, like I said before, unless James/Fitzpatrick is there, I don't see us taking a Safety in the first round. And my best guess has us taking a receiver in the second, so it might be awhile before they address safety.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Why would you think that? I think Evans can work in either scheme. JMO

Evans would probably do alright as a WILL in a 4-3. I would certainly rather have Evans in a 4-3 than Esch in a 3-4 - but I think both are optimized in the other scheme.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
And he was a steal! He was one of my pet cats last year, only I had us taking him in the fourth, so you can imagine how excited I was to see him fall that far right into our lap. For that reason, like I said before, unless James/Fitzpatrick is there, I don't see us taking a Safety in the first round. And my best guess has us taking a receiver in the second, so it might be awhile before they address safety.
Yeah Woods was a player I noticed before the draft even though he played college ball like an hour from me in a town that is barely big enough to hold Tech. Duck Dynasty is from Ruston as well I think lol. I was glad we took him. I think we go BPA on a postion such as LB WR or even Oline cause the safties I am mentioning are def third round and beyond talent.

jday

Reaction score
Yeah Woods was a player I noticed before the draft even though he played college ball like an hour from me in a town that is barely big enough to hold Tech. Duck Dynasty is from Ruston as well I think lol. I was glad we took him. I think we go BPA on a postion such as LB WR or even Oline cause the safties I am mentioning are def third round and beyond talent.

The way I see it, the Cowboys will be addressing the following positions, if available:

LB (I'm thinking they probably will double-dip here)
Swing Tackle or Guard (potentially both)
WR
HB
DT
S
Possibly TE, should one they really like fall to them.

The question now is how will the draft fall around them. Like most teams, the Cowboys don't necessarily always draft the Best Player Available; need dictate's quite a bit, so generally speaking, they will like draft the best player available on their board that also addresses a need in the first 4 rounds or so. From the fifth down, they typically try to create competition at various spots, as you would be hard pressed to find a starter so drafting for need there doesn't really make sense. That's why, given the rather week depth at Safety in this years draft, I think the Cowboys may roll with Woods in 18 and hope to address it (if need be) in 19...if not through a trade with Seattle to acquire Earl Thomas, which may still be a possibility...though, I seriously doubt it.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
The way I see it, the Cowboys will be addressing the following positions, if available:

LB (I'm thinking they probably will double-dip here)
Swing Tackle or Guard (potentially both)
WR
HB
DT
S
Possibly TE, should one they really like fall to them.

The question now is how will the draft fall around them. Like most teams, the Cowboys don't necessarily always draft the Best Player Available; need dictate's quite a bit, so generally speaking, they will like draft the best player available on their board that also addresses a need in the first 4 rounds or so. From the fifth down, they typically try to create competition at various spots, as you would be hard pressed to find a starter so drafting for need there doesn't really make sense. That's why, given the rather week depth at Safety in this years draft, I think the Cowboys may roll with Woods in 18 and hope to address it (if need be) in 19...if not through a trade with Seattle to acquire Earl Thomas, which may still be a possibility...though, I seriously doubt it.
Yeah the Earl Thomas trade is still a possibility but it won’t be for what Seattle is asking for at this moment in time. I wanna say Dallas makes a push right around the draft that may give Seattle a third this year and something next year that could have some sort of incentive attatched to it. I wouldn’t be suprised if a player was included with that push and we would receive Thomas and a future late round pick but that just speculation from me.

jday

Reaction score
Yeah the Earl Thomas trade is still a possibility but it won’t be for what Seattle is asking for at this moment in time. I wanna say Dallas makes a push right around the draft that may give Seattle a third this year and something next year that could have some sort of incentive attatched to it. I wouldn’t be suprised if a player was included with that push and we would receive Thomas and a future late round pick but that just speculation from me.
Funny you should mention it. Given the crowded receiver room at present, there are a couple of scenario's I could see playing out:

1. I'm not sure why I feel so strongly about this, but the way the draft seems to be shaping up, guys like Christian Kirk and/or DJ Moore could fall to the second round. 1. Wide Receivers taken in the first round in recent years have not panned out to an extent that would warrant taking them in the first round. 2. They both are widely regarded as slot players in the NFL, given their size. If one or both of them falls, I could see the Cowboys packaging Beasley with picks to grab one.

2. If there is an ideal replacement for what Dez brings in the draft, that is either Courtland Sutton or Equanimous St Brown. Should the Cowboys acquire either, considering the other acquisitions they made in Free Agency, the Cowboys might look to trade Dez for Thomas straight up...or package Dez with late 2019 picks.

3. If Courtland Sutton or Equanimous St Brown falls out of the first (which I know is unlikely), they may look to do the same scenario as 1, but with Dez instead of Beasley.

Note: Honestly, I'd prefer the Cowboys not address receiver at all. I think we have a receiving core you can win with and I think our needs are more pronounced elsewhere on the team. But given the number of pro days and visits they have had with receivers, you have to know the Cowboys think otherwise.

cowboyec

Reaction score
like them both.
can only pick one tho....LVE.
and I don't look back.
gut feeling....LVE just LOOKS like a Cowboys LB to me.