Rashawn Slater at 10 isn’t going to go away

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Sure but if I recall they had Lamb slotted way higher than he was picked, so it was a no brainer. Slater is not that much of a slam dunk at 10 as I suspect there will be defenders there with similar grades. I am not sure why this franchise can only build competent OLs by throwing first round picks at the position.

Frankly, I don't think he's close to the OG prospect that Quenton Nelson was who went Top 5 a couple of years ago. For Slater to even enter my mind at 10, he had better be able to play OT at this level (I suspect he can and will) but even then, I really can't justify taking an OL at 10 if there are comparable defenders on the board at the pick.
You make good points. Slater would help make our offense elite especially if Tyron and Collins are healthy. Watching the games that Dak played last season we had breakdowns on the offensive line that cost us turnovers or Dak did not have time to hit our receivers running deep patterns. The one thing about the NFC East is Washington, Philadelphia, and the Giants have strong defensive lines. For our offense to flourish we have to strengthen our line. I would like to see us spend some money on a defensive tackle or two and a safety. That would bolster our defense then we can fill in needs with the draft. I don’t want us reaching in the draft let’s pick the best player available in each round. That said I don’t think Slater will be there at 10.:mad::(

Gaede

Reaction score
Him Sewell or Pitts should be our draft pick we arent gonna fix the defense this season and with the money we just spent on dak its just smart to go all in on offense and use the offense to protect the defense.

If any of these three are on the board, I think they're probably BPA

Sydla

Reaction score
You make good points. Slater would help make our offense elite especially if Tyron and Collins are healthy. Watching the games that Dak played last season we had breakdowns on the offensive line that cost us turnovers or Dak did not have time to hit our receivers running deep patterns. The one thing about the NFC East is Washington, Philadelphia, and the Giants have strong defensive lines. For our offense to flourish we have to strengthen our line. I would like to see us spend some money on a defensive tackle or two and a safety. That would bolster our defense then we can fill in needs with the draft. I don’t want us reaching in the draft let’s pick the best player available in each round. That said I don’t think Slater will be there at 10.:mad::(

I think people are overvaluing Slater and the need to throw high picks at the OL just to have a good OL. The Bucs had one guy drafted high on their OL that just won the SB. It's mind numbing to me that with all the very clear defensive deficiencies and the real lack of talent on that side of the ball, we are talking about taking an OL at 10 who likely would have to start out at OG, not a particularly tough position to fill, if our starting OTs are healthy.

I understand people wanting to take Slater but at the end of the day, this team has spent a lot of high picks on the OL and what do they have to show for it? Nothing. They have been a middling franchise for the last decade. And a big reason for that has been in the years the O has been good, it's been paired with a defense that was anywhere from bad to dreadful largely because they lacked talent (along with coaching deficiencies).

reddyuta

Reaction score
If any of these three are on the board, I think they're probably BPA

agree.the only Defensive player i think the cowboys may have in the top 10 is Farley and i am leary of him because of his injury history.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think people are overvaluing Slater and the need to throw high picks at the OL just to have a good OL. The Bucs had one guy drafted high on their OL that just won the SB. It's mind numbing to me that with all the very clear defensive deficiencies and the real lack of talent on that side of the ball, we are talking about taking an OL at 10 who likely would have to start out at OG, not a particularly tough position to fill, if our starting OTs are healthy.

I understand people wanting to take Slater but at the end of the day, this team has spent a lot of high picks on the OL and what do they have to show for it? Nothing. They have been a middling franchise for the last decade. And a big reason for that has been in the years the O has been good, it's been paired with a defense that was anywhere from bad to dreadful largely because they lacked talent (along with coaching deficiencies).
It is expected that the best players available will be on the offensive side at 10. You either take one, look to move back or reach to fill a need, which we want to avoid. Unfortunately, this draft class is weak at the top for defensive impact players.

Sydla

Reaction score
It is expected that the best players available will be on the offensive side at 10. You either take one, look to move back or reach to fill a need, which we want to avoid. Unfortunately, this draft class is weak at the top for defensive impact players.

I suspect one or both CBs could be there. Parsons could be there. I think this talk of no defenders being worthy there so we have to take Slater is basically OL disciples trying to justify why again we should use a first round pick on an OL.

And FWIW, trade back is my ideal scenario. If we stay at 10, I'd hope Farley is there or Parsons. Now if the choice is say Slater and the DE from Michigan? Oh hell no, take Slater over that kid.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I suspect one or both CBs could be there. Parsons could be there. I think this talk of no defenders being worthy there so we have to take Slater is basically OL disciples trying to justify why again we should use a first round pick on an OL.

And FWIW, trade back is my ideal scenario. If we stay at 10, I'd hope Farley is there or Parsons. Now if the choice is say Slater and the DE from Michigan? Oh hell no, take Slater over that kid.
I believe the 3 receivers, Pitts and the 2 Tackles will all be rated higher then any defensive prospect. Question is, do they take the best player available, trade back or reach to fill a defensive need? I like Farley/Parsons, but they are more upside picks, where the offensive players could make a big impact day 1.

Carson

Reaction score
I believe the 3 receivers, Pitts and the 2 Tackles will all be rated higher then any defensive prospect. Question is, do they take the best player available, trade back or reach to fill a defensive need? I like Farley/Parsons, but they are more upside picks, where the offensive players could make a big impact day 1.

We have 11 picks and ample money to fill needs. I draft BPA at 11

Sydla

Reaction score

Well if Sewell falls, then you have to consider him. He's the clear best OT in this draft. But I don't think someone like Slater is that much better than say Parsons at 10.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well if Sewell falls, then you have to consider him. He's the clear best OT in this draft. But I don't think someone like Slater is that much better than say Parsons at 10.
I think you are underrating Slater as a prospect. Parsons are far more questions on and off the field.

Reactions: JPM