Rashawn Slater at 10 isn’t going to go away

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Was listening to Marcus Mosher's podcast during WFH today. He said that Slater's Pro Day workout would put him at the 99.9th percentile in athleticism for guards since 2000. Absolute stud.

Carson

Reaction score
Was listening to Marcus Mosher's podcast during WFH today. He said that Slater's Pro Day workout would put him at the 99.9th percentile in athleticism for guards since 2000. Absolute stud.

The more and more I research the more I’m ok with Slater. We have 11 picks and Stephen said they plan to be active in free agency.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I heard yesterday releasing Tyron saves 10 million. If Slater drops, that might be the move. Along with reworking Martin, Lawrence, and Collins. Maybe Esch as well, that might leave a great deal of money on the table for FA. This season will be a bounty for those who have the money to pick up a couple of quality FA's.

If this team could come away with 8 defenders in the draft and three FA defenders, this defense could turn around quickly.

My contention is get Dak a top 10 defense, and watch the offense put up numbers and points.

Just my opinion.

Carson

Reaction score
I heard yesterday releasing Tyron saves 10 million. If Slater drops, that might be the move. Along with reworking Martin, Lawrence, and Collins. Maybe Esch as well, that might leave a great deal of money on the table for FA. This season will be a bounty for those who have the money to pick up a couple of quality FA's.

If this team could come away with 8 defenders in the draft and three FA defenders, this defense could turn around quickly.

My contention is get Dak a top 10 defense, and watch the offense put up numbers and points.

Just my opinion.

Tyron was just restructured again. He’s not going anywhere

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think it's debatable that Slater is a better prospect than say Farley, for example.
Slater whipped Chase Young’s butt as a sophomore. What great receiver did Farley contain over his years at Virginia Tech. I heard he got burnt by an Old Dominion Wide out who is now on the Eagles from Cavanaugh. Slater would improve are team immensely like the two tackles improved Cleveland and Tampa. If we had a defensive line and the right safeties I would probably draft Farley.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Slater whipped Chase Young’s butt as a sophomore. What great receiver did Farley contain over his years at Virginia Tech. I heard he got burnt by an Old Dominion Wide out who is now on the Eagles from Cavanaugh. Slater would improve are team immensely like the two tackles improved Cleveland and Tampa. If we had a defensive line and the right safeties I would probably draft Farley.
I don't see it with Farley either.

Sure, he's a great athlete, but he's had several injuries that are worrisome (including back) and he's far from being a shut-down type. He's not a bad prospect. I just don't see why we would want him in the top ten. Top twenty....that's more like it.

Slater is a definite top ten guy....maybe top five. If he's there, take him. Even if he plays guard for a couple of years, I'd take two Zach Martin-types on this OL.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
6’4 304 with 33” arms- put up 33 bench reps, 7.48 3 cone, 4.88 40

Not that there was any questions on his athleticism, but yikes that’s impressive.
Love the players but the Cowboys need defense. It’s a deep draft for OT so they can get one later.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Love the players but the Cowboys need defense. It’s a deep draft for OT so they can get one later.
Sure, everyone knows we need defense.

But if we're picking in the top ten, you want to pick an elite player.

Do you really see an elite defender worth taking at 10? I see a number of good players there, but I think we can get a good player at DL, CB, or S in rounds two or three.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't see it with Farley either.

Sure, he's a great athlete, but he's had several injuries that are worrisome (including back) and he's far from being a shut-down type. He's not a bad prospect. I just don't see why we would want him in the top ten. Top twenty....that's more like it.

Slater is a definite top ten guy....maybe top five. If he's there, take him. Even if he plays guard for a couple of years, I'd take two Zach Martin-types on this OL.
You a scout?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Sure, everyone knows we need defense.

But if we're picking in the top ten, you want to pick an elite player.

Do you really see an elite defender worth taking at 10? I see a number of good players there, but I think we can get a good player at DL, CB, or S in rounds two or three.
Yes at #10 there are some elite defensive players. It’s a crap shoot in the draft. Even at #10.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Looking at 2021 and 2022 with the cap we have too much invested in the O-line for the production, imo. I love Tyron smith but we can open up a nice amount of cap room by moving him and plugging in a rookie. Tyron is one of my favorite players but he's not able to stay on the field and his contract makes him movable this year or next year unlike Jaylon & Zeke. It's a consideration at 10 only if you think you can replace Tyron's ability and save big against the cap...we don't need a guard at 10.

33 inch arms is short for an "elite" LT..not saying he can't do it with his feet but you love 35"+ here. Big decisions to make

cnuball21

Reaction score
Picking for need last year would have got us K'Lavon Chaisson over CeeDee Lamb. Let's just say that after one season, one guy's future is looking substantially brighter than the other (and I was/am a Chaisson fan).

I have zero doubt that Rashawn Slater could make Pro Bowls at center or guard, and his measurements today don't write off a future at tackle either. Speed, strength, quickness, fundamentals, tape, sabermetrics, counting stats... no matter how you look at him, Slater is a beast. So if you've got a boom or bust defender on one hand and a no-doubt stud OL on the other, take the stud.

This times 10.

Bizwah

Reaction score
You a scout?
Yep...same type you are.

I doubt there are any scouts on this board, yet every single poster here has an opinion on players. I'm not a scout....I will never be one....yet I can have an opinion. I am most certainly going to be wrong a lot.

This board is for voicing opinions. I'm giving mine.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Yes at #10 there are some elite defensive players. It’s a crap shoot in the draft. Even at #10.
That's where we disagree.

Using your scout-eyes which players do you take at 10?

Sydla

Reaction score
Picking for need last year would have got us K'Lavon Chaisson over CeeDee Lamb. Let's just say that after one season, one guy's future is looking substantially brighter than the other (and I was/am a Chaisson fan).

I have zero doubt that Rashawn Slater could make Pro Bowls at center or guard, and his measurements today don't write off a future at tackle either. Speed, strength, quickness, fundamentals, tape, sabermetrics, counting stats... no matter how you look at him, Slater is a beast. So if you've got a boom or bust defender on one hand and a no-doubt stud OL on the other, take the stud.

Sure but if I recall they had Lamb slotted way higher than he was picked, so it was a no brainer. Slater is not that much of a slam dunk at 10 as I suspect there will be defenders there with similar grades. I am not sure why this franchise can only build competent OLs by throwing first round picks at the position.

Frankly, I don't think he's close to the OG prospect that Quenton Nelson was who went Top 5 a couple of years ago. For Slater to even enter my mind at 10, he had better be able to play OT at this level (I suspect he can and will) but even then, I really can't justify taking an OL at 10 if there are comparable defenders on the board at the pick.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yep...same type you are.

I doubt there are any scouts on this board, yet every single poster here has an opinion on players. I'm not a scout....I will never be one....yet I can have an opinion. I am most certainly going to be wrong a lot.

This board is for voicing opinions. I'm giving mine.
I’m not a scout and don’t pretend to be like you

stiletto

Reaction score
Man amongst boys

I know..but pretty much 95% of the board will lose their minds if the team Drafted O in with the 10th pick...now that I think of it... they should.. The board is a mob. LOL