Rate Jerry as Owner/GM on a scale of 1 to 10

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Gave him 8 as an owner as he has put the cowboys as the most valuable sports franchise in the world. the recognition of the cowboys globally , despite the disappointment on the field , is massive. I travel around the world and see their logos and fan clubs all over. hard to believe the team has not sniffed a super bowl since 1995. Yet the franchise and its financial and media power is second to none globally,
if the criteria is about the owner interference in the roster or coaching decisions , ferry would get an F or a 2 from me obviously.
At the end of the day is it that important how rich the team is to you compared to actually winning? Does topping the Forbes list every year really mean anything to anyone who isn't in the Jones family? The Buccaneers & Chiefs aren't worth in half of what the Cowboys are but have won Super Bowls within the last 3 years. The Bengals are the 2nd least valuable team but have come far closer to winning a Super Bowl this century and are far more closer to winning one before us again.

And I've said it once and I'll say it again, Jerry hardly made the Cowboys as big as they are. They were known as "America's Team" well before Jerry came and are the only team in the 4th biggest city in the country, The Cowboys would still be loaded even if Jerry never brought us.

basel90

Reaction score
At the end of the day is it that important how rich the team is to you compared to actually winning? Does topping the Forbes list every year really mean anything to anyone who isn't in the Jones family? The Buccaneers & Chiefs aren't worth in half of what the Cowboys are but have won Super Bowls within the last 3 years. The Bengals are the 2nd least valuable team but have come far closer to winning a Super Bowl this century and are far more closer to winning one before us again.

And I've said it once and I'll say it again, Jerry hardly made the Cowboys as big as they are. They were known as "America's Team" well before Jerry came and are the only team in the 4th biggest city in the country, The Cowboys would still be loaded even if Jerry never brought us.
agree. the businessman in jerry has little to do on the field.
Amazing however how the team was going bankrupt and the stadium was in shambles ( team was losing 1 million a month with the previous owner) , and the team was losing big before Jerry took over. So he has to get credit for rejuvinating the franchise and winning 3 super bowls.
Always wondered how that situation was allowed to continue and no local businessmen took over the team before jerry came. No denying the facilities and the marketing of the team was jerry's biggest contribution to the cowboys and the DFW area.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Jerry is a great owner and he great at marketing. He has made deals that were groundbreaking at the time for the team and the league as a whole. As a GM, he has hurt the team more than he has helped. Having Stephen involved has not helped the team in any way. His dumpster diving for free agents has leaves some holes on the roster every year because he can’t understand that some solid, mid-tier free agents can offer good value and upgrades some holes on the roster. Jerry is where the buck stops, so he is responsible for Stephen and the rest of the bad hires.
1000% This ^^^^^^^^

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jerry did a great job his first 5 years, hired Jimmy , mostly stayed out of the way, signed players.
Did a great job.
Last 27 years has been in over his head with bad trades and bad drafts , hired the wrong HC's and then kept them too long (Garrett).
So looking at his whole body of work I would give him a 6 overall.
Mainly because of those 3 SB's wins.
PS: Hiring wrong front office personal like his son is also a major error.
You hire people because of their ability to get the job done, not just because they are your offspring.
This isn't the local grocery store.
Running a NFL Franchise is a complex operation.

Thoughts ?
Blimey!
He follows me on social media.
However ...
OWNER -- 9 (Because he has dual titles, the bad contracts for Dak and Zeke tie into owner. Otherwise, a 10.)
GM -- 5

Hoofbite

Reaction score
can i spilt them.

owner 10
gm 7
cap management 1

you average that out. i’ve got covid and don’t want too. but overall he’s great owner loves his players like family will over pay and screw the team because your now one of his kids. good at picking players can get overly invested in troubled people giving them a second and 3rd chance. if i was a player trying to get my life back in order i’d love playing for a owner like jerry even at the detriment of costing the team because uncle jerry will pay me to market the cowboys.

Splitting them is the only way that makes sense. You may as well be dealing with 2 different people.

Owner >>> GM

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Same as it’s always been. 10 as an owner. Probably a 5 these days as a GM which is a step above his first years that were sometimes dangerously close to a 1. Makes much better moves these days but still would be fired after decades of playoff mediocrity.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Quite frankly I think Ole Jerruh gets too much credit for the off-field success of the Dallas Cowboys, this team was world famous when he bought it and was beloved and regarded as America's Team. He capitalized off of it by saying YES to advertisers and selling his soul to the highest bidder, something that previous owner H.R. Bum Bright couldn't or wouldn't do?? Nevertheless, here we are 33 years later, and the Dallas Cowboys are worth more than any team in American sports [6.5 billion]. Could Jerry have accomplished this with the Philadelphia Eagles? Denver Broncos? Houston Texans? Baltimore Ravens? New Orleans Saints? There is a reason he wanted to purchase the Cowboys; He saw easy money.

My Score - Owner = 6
-GM = 2

Cebrin

Reaction score
Jerry did a great job his first 5 years, hired Jimmy , mostly stayed out of the way, signed players.
Did a great job.
Last 27 years has been in over his head with bad trades and bad drafts , hired the wrong HC's and then kept them too long (Garrett).
So looking at his whole body of work I would give him a 6 overall.
Mainly because of those 3 SB's wins.
PS: Hiring wrong front office personal like his son is also a major error.
You hire people because of their ability to get the job done, not just because they are your offspring.
This isn't the local grocery store.
Running a NFL Franchise is a complex operation.

Thoughts ?
6 GM: He's kept the team relevant, and slightly competitive. 10 as an owner.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There's a hole in the bucket, Dear Elisah, Dear Elisah...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So unless you are happy about him as a GM you have to rate them both low because the owner is respobnsible for the GM hire......Love the 3 SB's he brought as an owner hate the GM choice of the last 26years though.

Mannix

Reaction score
0....I frankly don't give 2 S's about his ability to make money, make the league money, or his uncanny ability to keep the Cowboys relevant. And when I say relevant, I am talking about merch, talk show discussions, and TV ratings.....NOTHING more!!!

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
That is a tough one, he isn't a Daniel Snyder but he has also created a culture that is not all about winning football games that can't be overlooked.

He does well in the early rounds of the draft and is willing to bring in quality players but at the same time, he has no clue how to build a winning roster.

I would probably say a 6.