Rate Jerry as Owner/GM on a scale of 1 to 10

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Jerry did a great job his first 5 years, hired Jimmy , mostly stayed out of the way, signed players.
Did a great job.
Last 27 years has been in over his head with bad trades and bad drafts , hired the wrong HC's and then kept them too long (Garrett).
So looking at his whole body of work I would give him a 6 overall.
Mainly because of those 3 SB's wins.
PS: Hiring wrong front office personal like his son is also a major error.
You hire people because of their ability to get the job done, not just because they are your offspring.
This isn't the local grocery store.
Running a NFL Franchise is a complex operation.

Thoughts ?

Owner: 3
GM: 1

IrishAnto

Reaction score
You don't think 1995 All-Pro (not just Pro Bowl, but All-Pro) Larry Allen didn't help us win the SB in 1995?

Anyway. My overall point was that even after Jimmy, Dallas (on average) has at least been average or above average. So if on-field is a measurement (as it should be for GM especially) then 5 or 6 is the min.
I never said he didn’t help, just that nobody knew he would be HOF quality when drafted, hence not a big move as you claimed.
Again average where it counts most????

strongarmqb

Reaction score
Jerry likes to tell everyone and anyone who questions his prowess as a GM- “How’d you enjoy those 3 Super Bowls”- but the facts don’t lie…
A litany of failures at Head Coach
Dreadful drafting (until recently as he has mostly turned that over to Will McClay)
Insane fantasy football trades (Galloway, Roy Williams)
Falling in love with Garrett for 10 years
Carousel of defensive coaches

Any other GM with that resume - Super Bowls aside (attributed to Jimmy)- would have been canned a long time ago.
He gets a 2.5 from me.

nobody

Reaction score
I believe that Jerry is among the top three to four owners in football. My evidence for that statement is the fact that no other owner puts as much of himself into his franchise as Jerry does. He has the passion & the money to make just about anything happen. Rating: 10

In other words, he puts his money where his mouth is & you just can’t knock him for that. I would take Jerry, the owner, over any other in the NFL. He brings in the talent. He builds stadiums. He keeps the Dallas Cowboys at the front & center of the NFL universe.

Having said that, Jerry also has a darker side that is beginning to emerge over the last decade plus. In a word, it’s ego. That's where the GM comes into play. Rating: 2

I have to disagree on your owner assessment because he fails hard on one of his primary jobs...hiring management that gets the job done. He won't hire a GM and insists on playing Fantasy football. So he can't in any sense be a 10 as an owner. He meddles. He undermines coaches. When he stayed mostly out of the way and let Jimmy do the job, he gets a 10...but that was in the first 5 years. He gets a 10 there.

For the 27 years after that, he gets a 1. Calculate that like grades and his average as an owner is 2.7

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Jerry has done an exceptional job at drafting. Winning SBs is hard. I think this team is as close as we've ever been.
Then why can't we stop the run due to poor DT play? Maybe it's not as exceptional as you're thinking.

kskboys

Reaction score
Owner: 10 (helped make the league more profitable than it has ever been; will spend the cash to get the players he needs to win)
GM: 2 (doesn't know how to pick coaches. undermines his coaches' authority. even he said he'd fire himself as GM. Nuff said.)
Owner hires the GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
If some of you guys are using team record as a measurement for how Jerry (GM) has done, but even after Jimmy left, Dallas has been above the middle of the pack (which sets a floor at 5/average) then how are you getting 1s and 2s?
Emotions? Frustration?

I realize average or slightly above average is NOT acceptable. But it is, by definition a 5 or 6 out of 10.

So Honest question. I really don't care either way. Just asking.
I don't use those parameters, hardly at all. Grade these items:

1)Making the right moves to put the team over the top: 1
2)Assessing players correctly in order to use them and surround them w/ the right talent to bring out their strengths: 1
3)Understanding what makes any player his best: 1
4)Understand his own role as GM: 1
5)Watching hours upon weeks of film to determine chances of success of any possible draftees: 1
6)Developing players: 1
7)Acting in the best interests of the team at all times: -1

Honestly, you guys act as if drafting some talent is all there is. Not even close. Jerry does not do his homework on players and has publicly admitted so. He does not study tape of incoming draftees, but still insists on the final say.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
First 5 + years - off the charts 10+
Last 25 + years- totally suks- 0

the really sickening part about this 100% accurate statement is even with unprecedented success in his first 5 years, Jerry wasn’t happy until he became a meddling hinderance to the team. Even though he saw what can happen with his own eyes when he gets the &$)& out of the way…he has no interest of getting out of the way again. Thats why its such a joke when he talks about how important winning is to him.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't use those parameters, hardly at all. Grade these items:

1)Making the right moves to put the team over the top: 1
2)Assessing players correctly in order to use them and surround them w/ the right talent to bring out their strengths: 1
3)Understanding what makes any player his best: 1
4)Understand his own role as GM: 1
5)Watching hours upon weeks of film to determine chances of success of any possible draftees: 1
6)Developing players: 1
7)Acting in the best interests of the team at all times: -1

Honestly, you guys act as if drafting some talent is all there is. Not even close. Jerry does not do his homework on players and has publicly admitted so. He does not study tape of incoming draftees, but still insists on the final say.
Sounds like your post is about GM
I've always been in the anti-Jerry GM camp

The bottom line is the results on the field.
We'd all like better, but they have been slightly above average during his tenure as GM and WAY above average in his tenure as Owner.

I think I already said there are 100 things that go into the job, so don't put words in my mouth.
As GM, his job mostly is to hire people to do the things you describe. GMs don't personally develop players, for example.

Anyway, Jerry hasnt been the main GM for years now. maybe 10% at this stage

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Owner 9...mainly for himself and family. Owner???? You should of given us the option of absolute 0......But per question....1:facepalm:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, but since he's the owner, he already has that part covered because he's doing both jobs.
Jerry did do both jobs.
Pretty sure he hasnt done both jobs in full for many years now.
He's100% owner, but only does about 10% of the GM stuff, if that