Rate the Ache/Pain

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
On a scale of 1-10, what is the worst ache or injury pain you ever had? I don't mean illnesses such as cancer, cardiac, etc, those are all terrible in a different way. I mean true pain. How would you rank the common ones?

Last night, I experienced the worst I ever had - dental(toothache). Some time ago, I cracked a molar but kept putting it off to get fixed. I am pretty experienced in toughing out dental aches. Back in College, I took a ball on a bad hop just below my orbital. I broke that bone along with four upper teeth. It was the worst possible pain, or so I thought at the time......pain level 8.

I have also torn my rotator cuff, pain was maybe a level 5. I have never injured my back but hear it can be debilitating in a lot of cases. I have scratched my cornea, that was pretty painful in different ways, pain level 5.

Anyways, back to last night. My tooth has been going through stages of pretty bad to all right over the course of days, manageable and living off ibuprofin. It came to a head last night about midnight, my whole right side of mouth hurt, top-jaw hinge-bottom. I hit pain level 10 with no looking back, it had me in a fetal position on the brink of tears. There was no magic pill to get any relief.

Luckily, I made an appt a few days ago for Thursday(today) but still had 14 hours to wait for it. I got no sleep last night and none today, got back a few hours ago. My tooth had an exposed nerve on top and had a root canal done. Two of the three canals were extremely infected. It was so bad, I can't get the crown until next week.

I will never put off seeing a dentist again. The wife could have lectured me with the told you so but she was a trooper :laugh:

That got me thinking of what were the worst aches out there to go through. I would rank dental at #1 for that experience alone, backaches being not far behind even though I have never experienced a bad one.

Other common types would be ear, migraines, etc etc.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I’ve had 10’s more than once. Hand burn was the worst pain ever though. Melted plastic. It just doesn’t stop burning,so I have a very deep sympathy for burn victims now. It’s like no other pain imaginable. You literally pass out from it. But teeth? Ohhhh mother yes. I fully understand being in the fetal,writhing in pain. That sucked....horrible pain. My whole top front got infected,and went up into my nose. They actually had to stick a needle up in there through the roof of my mouth up into my nasal cavity,holding me down to do so. The only thing I know of is warm Iodized salty water for any temp relief whatsoever. That or morphine....if you can get it. But I would have done anything at all in that situation,as I no doubt know you were thinking the same in yours. So yes,I very much understand your situation and I’m sure you’re loving life right now. “Hey!! I can talk and eat again!! I can breath without it irritating it!!! And Lord,I’ll keep at least half of those promises I made last night.... Ok,30% of them...but I’m trying!!” Loooool

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’ve had 10’s more than once. Hand burn was the worst pain ever though. Melted plastic. It just doesn’t stop burning,so I have a very deep sympathy for burn victims now. It’s like no other pain imaginable. You literally pass out from it. But teeth? Ohhhh mother yes. I fully understand being in the fetal,writhing in pain. That sucked....horrible pain. My whole top front got infected,and went up into my nose. They actually had to stick a needle up in there through the roof of my mouth up into my nasal cavity,holding me down to do so. The only thing I know of is warm Iodized salty water for any temp relief whatsoever. That or morphine....if you can get it. But I would have done anything at all in that situation,as I no doubt know you were thinking the same in yours. So yes,I very much understand your situation and I’m sure you’re loving life right now. “Hey!! I can talk and eat again!! I can breath without it irritating it!!! And Lord,I’ll keep at least half of those promises I made last night.... Ok,30% of them...but I’m trying!!” Loooool

Yea, burns hurt and keep on hurting. I have spilled melted sugar on my thumb before.....excruciating pain.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Toothaches are for sure right up there..........

About 5 years ago worked out one morning then spent a good part of the afternoon stooped over the engine bay working on a car. Woke up the next day with unbelievable pain running down my left arm, tylenol and aleve did exactly nothing. It was so bad at one point i wanted to cry. Turns out it was a slipped disk in the C4-5 area.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Yea, burns hurt and keep on hurting. I have spilled melted sugar on my thumb before.....excruciating pain.
It really is awful pain,and I always want to comfort burn victims now when I see them. Guess it was Gods little way of giving me empathy for their suffering. Seems I’m always going through that lesson. “Why me though?” ...”Because you knucklehead! You keep needing to learn it!!” Looool

Chrispierce

Reaction score
My ruptured appendix was by far the most painful thing I've experienced. You pansies with your toothaches and burns don't know what you are taking about.
Well lookie here...looks like we got a tough guy,who likes calling people in pain “pansies”. Hey tough guy with a fat mouth? How about you go down to your local burn unit,go in there and call them pansies,and alllll about how tough you are? Stupid fool is what I’m calling you.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well lookie here...looks like we got a tough guy,who likes calling people in pain “pansies”. Hey tough guy with a fat mouth? How about you go down to your local burn unit,go in there and call them pansies,and alllll about how tough you are? Stupid fool is what I’m calling you.

You can't take Joes' posts at face value, just a little bit of sarcasm and his sense of humor. He is good peeps and I am sure he knows dental and burn victims aren't "pansies" :D

I too had an appendix problem, almost ruptured in the 7th grade. The only trauma I remember from it was a doctor and his finger :lmao:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Shingles headache went to 11. A full week of that before I broke out. It was excruciating.
Shingles is a living curse. Make sure you get the new vaccine, supposed to be 90% effective. I got the one before that but it's not nearly effective and I have to get a booster next month. I was lucky with a mild case but both my parents had bad ones and my older son has had them as well.

Just another by product of the increased stress in our society these days with younger people getting them more and more. That chicken pox virus lying dormant in our bodies does not react well to stress.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Toe against bedpost at 3am
I did that with a broken big toe on a deck chair and was lucky I fell down because the pain was blinding and I passed out.

That danged Tobasco is trying to make himself feel better by vicariously living through our worst pain. I haven't brought up my broken heart caused by Mary Ellen Higgins in the 4th grade. That was 60 years ago and I just got over that on Tuesday.

Big_D

Reaction score
Shingles is a living curse. Make sure you get the new vaccine, supposed to be 90% effective. I got the one before that but it's not nearly effective and I have to get a booster next month. I was lucky with a mild case but both my parents had bad ones and my older son has had them as well.

Just another by product of the increased stress in our society these days with younger people getting them more and more. That chicken pox virus lying dormant in our bodies does not react well to stress.

It's horrible. I spoke to my doc about the vaccine. He said don't bother with the old one and he's very optimistic about the new one, but likes to give any new vaccines a little time. So I'll probably be getting that one soon. I broke out on the left side of my forehead and on my eye lid, so there were a lot of concerns if it gets in the eye. I never experienced anything like that. That was last year about this time. Lasted a full 6 months, pain, dizziness, headaches etc.. stress is a killer. Got to learn to relax.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
You can't take Joes' posts at face value, just a little bit of sarcasm and his sense of humor. He is good peeps and I am sure he knows dental and burn victims aren't "pansies" :D

I too had an appendix problem, almost ruptured in the 7th grade. The only trauma I remember from it was a doctor and his finger :lmao:
Alrighty then......I formally apologize Mr.Joe King. :Administrator you may delete my post. Thank you.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cp, I think he was just foolin' around.