Rate the last book you read

RamziD

Reaction score
Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees. An earlier fantasy novel, published in 1926. It's more of a light, fun read compared to the behemoth fantasy series out there, but still with a little dark and mysterious side.

8/10

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
‘Speaker for the Dead’ – Orson Scott Card .

This is an indirect sequel to ‘Ender’s Game’ set 3000 years after the preceding novel. It explores themes of xenophobia, religion, evolution, war, and technology on a small colony in the midst of galactic expansion. Very good read.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Gang Leader for a Day

10/10

Non-fiction book written by a Univ of Chicago sociology student who hangs around the projects for close to 10 years. Very interesting (at least to me) observations about gangs, police, and housing authorities.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Found myself curled up with this the other night I actually had a tough time putting it down.

http://i465.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr16/KJJ100/DSC_0218_zpsd9e46ebc.jpg

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
‘Speaker for the Dead’ – Orson Scott Card .

This is an indirect sequel to ‘Ender’s Game’ set 3000 years after the preceding novel. It explores themes of xenophobia, religion, evolution, war, and technology on a small colony in the midst of galactic expansion. Very good read.
I read that whole series a while back, but to be honest, they kind of lost me, especially when the sequel was so far in the future. It just seemed too all over the place...

but, admittedly, I was 13 lol

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Just read Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns. Part of a trilogy (Emperor of Thorns is the last one).

Very gory (sp?) and graphic books, but also very good. Highly recommend the whole trilogy.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Read the employee handbook for Olive Garden. Had some good information. Didn't care for the sexual harassment piece. Over all I give it a 3/10.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Just read Prince of Thorns and King of Thorns. Part of a trilogy (Emperor of Thorns is the last one).

Very gory (sp?) and graphic books, but also very good. Highly recommend the whole trilogy.

I have been thinking about picking up these books. Thanks for the post.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
'The Mote in God Eye', pretty good Sci-fi read.

I think this is a great book. Love the early concept sci-fi that's old enough that you can start to get a gauge on how good the predictions really were.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Just finished The Broken Empire trilogy. U give it a firm 9.5/10. Already searching for similar books.

If you need your "hero" to be do-gooder, scouts honor type you may want to pass on this trilogy.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Excellent book. This is the first of a 10 book series. I usually won't start a series like this until they are finished or at least have several books out so I'm not stuck waiting. (A lesson learned from GRRM). However, I've read lots of good stuff about this book and the next one comes out in March. Sanderson is an excellent fantasy author. The "magic" system is unique. Great characters. A little bit too much back story but probably needed for the 10 book series. Really well done book.

Starting on Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman

Just finished The Broken Empire trilogy. U give it a firm 9.5/10. Already searching for similar books.

If you need your "hero" to be do-gooder, scouts honor type you may want to pass on this trilogy.

Rack, sorry I missed this post when you made it.
Another great anti-hero type of series you might like is The First Law Trilogy by Joe Ambercrombie.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Just finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Excellent book. This is the first of a 10 book series. I usually won't start a series like this until they are finished or at least have several books out so I'm not stuck waiting. (A lesson learned from GRRM). However, I've read lots of good stuff about this book and the next one comes out in March. Sanderson is an excellent fantasy author. The "magic" system is unique. Great characters. A little bit too much back story but probably needed for the 10 book series. Really well done book.

Starting on Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman

Rack, sorry I missed this post when you made it.
Another great anti-hero type of series you might like is The First Law Trilogy by Joe Ambercrombie.

Yeah i am about halfway through the second book in that series already. :)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Reading the Jo Nesbo library right now.
Very easy reads. 2 or 3 days each. Interesting detective.

I am at about 75% of the NPR Sci-Fi list because that's what I read growing up.
Definitely some strange selections (tho not bad works) on that list.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
inferno - Dan Brown. If you liked his other books, chances are you will like this one. Although I have to say there was less history or origins of symbols, words and phrases than was in the Davinci Code...similar to Angels and Demons where it was less. Either way it was still a good read if you like the main character and the other Dan Brown Langdon books.

Horns - Joe Hill
I think I have found a new writer that I can buy a book from them and at the very least think it is a good read. The only reason I got it was because it was on sale on google play and I figured for the price I could not beat it. Turns out it was a better deal than I originally thought. Will have to eventually buy Heart Shaped box and Nos4a2 by him. Apparently they are already making a movie from the Horns book.

Kristen82

Reaction score
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" - just a great spooky phantasmagorical book. Love "Fahrenheit 451" and classic sci-fi in general so trying out more Ray Bradbury.