Rate the last book you read

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Finished Watership a few days ago. It was a darn good story, but really don't think it belongs on the NPR list (not really sci-fi / fantasy)

Sinister

Reaction score
Denim Chicken;5092010 said:
Finished Watership a few days ago. It was a darn good story, but really don't think it belongs on the NPR list (not really sci-fi / fantasy)

Watership Down is easily one of my favorite books, if you liked it you might like Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. Although some consider Tailchaser's Song a rip off of Watership, I still liked it.

If you read any China Mieville I'd start with Un Lun Dun, although I think Perdido Street Station is a great book.

The series isn't too bad. Its a bit hit or miss though from book to book. I just finished reading Death Masks (book 5) and it was entertaining.

I love the Jim Butcher books, but I think that Storm Front was probably the weakest of the books

Just finished the Beyonders Trilogy by Brandon Mull and it was a fun read.

I'm going to try to read book two of the Kingkiller Chronicles Wise Mans Fear, then Joe Lansdale's Edge of Dark Water.

:starspin

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Farenheit 451.

I was supposed to read this book in High School, but didn't for some reason (probably laziness). But I was always intrigued by the concept and that top 100 list on the last page was the last push I needed.

Anyway, gotta say I was a little disappointed with this book. I understand the literary significance and admire its ability to accurately predict/portray what future technology must look like.

But overall I didn't feel like the book was as thought provoking as I would have hoped, and that's probably due to the fact that it's probably served as source material for other literary or cinematic works that I've already read or seen (which is obviously not the books fault).

Anyway, the book is wonderfully abstract, but at times just seems a bit sloppy with changes in tense and often times its hard to follow exactly what's going on with the dialogue.

I chock most of my disputes with this book up to a difference in generation and overall enjoyed it, but I guess I was also expecting more.

Rating: 6/10

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I'm on a Robert McCammon kick right now. I've recently read Boys Life, Swan Song, and the Wolf's Hour and loved all 3. I'd never heard of McCammon before, but he was a Bram Stoker award winner so I checked him out. While I wouldn't consider him a horror writer, his books do tend to be on the dark side. I've turned a few people on to him and all have loved him so far. His work is worth checking out.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I have read and really enjoyed both Swan Song and Perdido Street Station. I really liked the steampunk aspect to the technology in Perdido.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;5093748 said:
I have read and really enjoyed both Swan Song and Perdido Street Station. I really liked the steampunk aspect to the technology in Perdido.

I haven't gotten to Perdido Street Station yet. I loved Swan Song. I'm a sucker for the end of times books. My son always complains that I only like depressing books and movies and he's about half way correct.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Just read "Way of the Shadows", part 1 of the Night Angel trilogy. it was amazing.

Already started on book 2, "Shadow's Edge".

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Rack Bauer;5097606 said:
Just read "Way of the Shadows", part 1 of the Night Angel trilogy. it was amazing.

Already started on book 2, "Shadow's Edge".

Cool, I'm glad to hear that. I bought it the other day.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Just finished The Dragon Reborn: Wheel of Time #3.

Really liking this series. My original plan was to stop after book three and read something else then come back and read a few more. I'm liking it so much though that I'm going to continue on. Not sure why I hadn't started these a long time ago.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Making my way down the top 100 sci fi/fantasy list, I picked up a new book Sunday afternoon.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

I really liked this book. I don't really have many gripes with it other than, at 245 pages, it was a very short book and because of this parts of the book lacked detail and/or suspense.

There were also a few odd moments that didn't seem to serve any purpose, particularly with the dialogue (for example, one of the books main character's, Rick Deckard, will say a sentence that is seemingly unnecessary every now and then, but not often enough to where it's a character driven thing, IMO-- I could be wrong). But of course that was easily overlooked.

Overall I give it a 7/10.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ntegrase96;5099733 said:
Making my way down the top 100 sci fi/fantasy list, I picked up a new book Sunday afternoon.

I really liked this book. I don't really have many gripes with it other than, at 245 pages, it was a very short book and because of this parts of the book lacked detail and/or suspense.

There were also a few odd moments that didn't seem to serve any purpose, particularly with the dialogue (for example, one of the books main character's, Rick Deckard, will say a sentence that is seemingly unnecessary every now and then, but not often enough to where it's a character driven thing, IMO-- I could be wrong). But of course that was easily overlooked.

Phillip Dick was an interesting cat. You probably already know it, but Androids became Blade Runner on the big screen. Also a really good movie if you've never seen it.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Idgit;5099735 said:
Phillip Dick was an interesting cat. You probably already know it, but Androids became Blade Runner on the big screen. Also a really good movie if you've never seen it.

I'm literally just going down that list that Denim posted on the last page and picking novels that pique my interest. One of the reasons I chose Androids was because it was the source material for Blade Runner, which I actually have not seen but people that know me well keep telling me that I would love it.

But yeah Phillip K Dick seems like he's got some 'out there' thoughts, so I'll probably read more of his work. Really enjoyed this last one.

Kristen82

Reaction score
Finished "Flowers for Algernon". Great book, but the ending made me tear up it was so sad.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Kristen82;5100147 said:
Finished "Flowers for Algernon". Great book, but the ending made me tear up it was so sad.

Definitely one of my favorites. I was told to read it, not knowing what it was about and... well, toward the end someone must have been cutting invisible onions nearby or my allergies were flaring up because the tears would not stop coming no matter how much I fought them with my brawny masculinity.

The title alone still gets me every now and then.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;5097849 said:
Just finished The Dragon Reborn: Wheel of Time #3.

Really liking this series. My original plan was to stop after book three and read something else then come back and read a few more. I'm liking it so much though that I'm going to continue on. Not sure why I hadn't started these a long time ago.

reading the last book in the series now.

Absolutely phenomenal.
The last few books minus Jordan are to quite as good but still quite readable and of course the insane investment to finish 14 massive novels is rewarding.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Finished Cloud Atlas a while back. My best friend had started it about 10 months ago and said I would like it. When the trailer for the film came out I thought it looked boss so finally grabbed it. Hard to get used to but very interesting, reminded me a little of House of Leaves just in the way the book itself was setup to be a puzzle. When I was about 3-4 pages left I was very meh, that was OK but the last 2 pages, one of the protaganists gives a very poignant recap of the point of the book as a whole and closes it off very nicely. The last sentence of the book was an :eek:: moment for me and finished it perfectly. Possibly the best final sentence I've read, other than 1984.

Book wasn't perfect or completely earth shattering, and could definitely drag at times with parts that didn't wholly move any story along, but very glad I read it.

On to Blood Meridian!

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I've taken a little break from the NPR list to watch some TV (Breaking Bad SE1-5) and read a classic (Great Expectations). I'm going to get back to it soon, but I've been getting interested in Nikola Tesla and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good biography, preferably one that focuses more on his science than personality. Probably going back to the Ender series after that.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Just finished I, Robot. 8/10

I struggled a bit through the last two chapters/short stories Evidence and The Evitable Conflict. I just wasn't all that interested in the Byerley character, I guess, hence the 2 points off the rating.

All the other short stories were interesting, thought provoking, and somewhat believable-- Asimov does a good job of making the future tangible. And I really appreciate the thought and effort he must have put into developing the Three Laws of Robotics.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Historical Fiction "A Place Called Freedom" 10 of 10 stars by Ken Follett. 'Twas a really amazing story with great rhythm, depth and enough suspense to keep you interested. I was wowed by this book.

"The Husband" by Dean Koontz 7 of 10. Great story, but the ending fizzled

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score

I read that in a lit class in college. Was a good read.