Rate the last movie you saw

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'm going to wager your tastes lean more towards Character Studies?
Yes. Big time, CP :)

Also narrative, style (huge), cinematography, nuance (huge), writing (huge), lack of sentimentalism, lack of cliché/camp/contrivance, coherent editing.

I'm a film, lit, television junky. But I'm very, very picky and selective, albeit with a very broad interest. Still, even with my extremely high standards, there's a ton of greatness out there, contemporary and from the past, alike.

Last edited:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Let me ask you, @ChldsPlay, did you enjoy The Babadook? The Witch? (since my original post is in this genre somewhat [albeit distantly] and they're fairly recent releases)

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Let me ask you, @ChldsPlay, did you enjoy The Babadook? The Witch? (since my original post is in this genre somewhat [albeit distantly] and they're fairly recent releases)

I thought Babadook was alright until the end. I thought The Witch was one of the worst films I've seen in years (This seems to be a common response I have to films released by A24).

I tend to hate character studies. Not that I'm opposed to the idea, but generally I feel they are all pretty generic and feature uninteresting characters doing uninteresting things in uninteresting ways while being depressed and unrelatable.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I thought Babadook was alright until the end. I thought The Witch was one of the worst films I've seen in years (This seems to be a common response I have to films released by A24).

I tend to hate character studies. Not that I'm opposed to the idea, but generally I feel they are all pretty generic and feature uninteresting characters doing uninteresting things in uninteresting ways while being depressed and unrelatable.
Yeah, we just see film in a fundamentally different way.

I find character studies fascinating, when the story (writing) is fascinating. They go hand in hand. And style isn't too far behind. You need all three for a good "character study"-type film. And, well, great (and too many use that term loosely in the industry) acting.

I suggest A Seperation (Iran) or The Past (Iran) for a true representation of flawlaess story telling that is what we are both referring to in this thread as the modern "Character Study." Both are written and directed by the brilliant Asghar Farhadi.

Nothing wrong with seeing things differently, tho. G'day, mate.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The great wall.

Almost didn't rent it because the reviews were bad. But the movie wasn't supposed to produce an academy award performance. It definitely delivered for what it was doing. The whole family was entertained.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
@ChldsPlay

You mentioned that character studies tend to disinterest you due to lack of interesting characters/story etc.

I think you would enjoy Paterson (Adam Driver in the lead). A story of a man who is deeply poetic. He drives a bus by day and writes short poems as he sees his everyday, mundane life unfold. Set in a gorgeous small town in Pennsylvania, this film offers extraordinary visuals (cinematography), some shot in landscape and distant, much like the character.

Adam Driver is turning into a gem of an actor. Several of his recent works have been excellent.

If you haven't seen it, check it out and tell me what you think.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched "Split" while flying back from the west coast.

One of the better movies by M. Night Shyamalan.

Creepy, scary and thought-provoking. There's one obvious "boogeyman" in the film and one that takes some time to become a "boogeyman".

8/10.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
@ChldsPlay

You mentioned that character studies tend to disinterest you due to lack of interesting characters/story etc.

I think you would enjoy Paterson (Adam Driver in the lead). A story of a man who is deeply poetic. He drives a bus by day and writes short poems as he sees his everyday, mundane life unfold. Set in a gorgeous small town in Pennsylvania, this film offers extraordinary visuals (cinematography), some shot in landscape and distant, much like the character.

Adam Driver is turning into a gem of an actor. Several of his recent works have been excellent.

If you haven't seen it, check it out and tell me what you think.

I'll give it a shot.

I have seen A Separation. I don't remember it all that well, but IIRC, I didn't hate it.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot.

I have seen A Separation. I don't remember it all that well, but IIRC, I didn't hate it.
Awesome! If you do, in fact, watch it let us know!

Also, A Seperation, although a masterpiece, is the lesser of the two (The Past being my favorite of the two, which I'm defitinitely in the minority in). If you didn't hate it (A Seperation), give The Past a shot. It's a bit more intense, it may appeal to you more.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Watched "Split" while flying back from the west coast.

One of the better movies by M. Night Shyamalan.

Creepy, scary and thought-provoking. There's one obvious "boogeyman" in the film and one that takes some time to become a "boogeyman".

8/10.
Thanks MW
I might check that one out.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doctor Strange is on Netflix now.

Rented it one time. Guess I slept through more of it than I thought as I watched some earlier today and were some parts i did not remember at all lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doctor Strange is on Netflix now.

Rented it one time. Guess I slept through more of it than I thought as I watched some earlier today and were some parts i did not remember at all lol.
Hopefully you watched the 'Groundhog Day' fight between Strange and Dormammu towards the end of the movie. I thought it was pretty good. :p

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Get Out: 6/10. Not worth the hype, and not the best delivery method for the intended message. Missed the mark entirely on a key opportunity to deliver a theatrical message on cultural appropriation.

The Take ("Bastille Day" starring Idris Elba): 7/10 objectively -- campy action film with unrealistic stuff. 10/10 otherwise, subjectively -- campy action film with unrealistic stuff, lol.

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score
Saw pirates this weekend. Never saw the 4th one and the third one was over the top. Pleased to say I rank this one right behind the first one. Starts off slow but really grabs you in the second act.

Saw Alien the week before it. Entertaining movie than most that are coming out, but if you go into this because you loved Prometheus. You will be disappointed.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Saw pirates this weekend. Never saw the 4th one and the third one was over the top. Pleased to say I rank this one right behind the first one. Starts off slow but really grabs you in the second act.

Saw Alien the week before it. Entertaining movie than most that are coming out, but if you go into this because you loved Prometheus. You will be disappointed.

I'm planning on seeing Pirates this weekend. Maybe Guardians 2.