Rate the last movie you saw

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-The best part of the movie for me was when Captain Marvel realizes her full power... That sequence was terrific
I will concede that was the scene that will be considered the best by most because it was really good. Mine was Talos dialogue with Danvers at her best friend's home that broke through both her sense of self-identity and ideology, which forced her to come to grips with who she really was. My growing affection for Larson's portrayal of the character peaked and solidified itself during that scene.
-I previously posted that Larson did a nice job as the Captain Marvel character– What I meant by that is she quite often undersold the emotions the character was experiencing. In an era of movie-making where many characters have over-sold emotions the portrayal of the character was refreshing. Sorta reminded of Clint Eastwood and the way he played many of his characters in the "Spaghetti Western" series.
I think she needed to be extra emotionless to avoid the "just a girl" reactions by some audience members.
I like associating Larson's approach to the fact her character was not only a fighter pilot but also an Air Force Major. Being cool under pressure would be prerequisites for playing Danvers, which I think Larson discovered while researching the military aspect of her role on an Air Force with real-life military personnel. It is the sort of attitude I would expect in a scene showing Thor's hammer whizzing past her head and her not flinching lol.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will concede that was the scene that will be considered the best by most because it was really good. Mine was Talos dialogue with Danvers at her best friend's home that broke through both her sense of self-identity and ideology, which forced her to come to grips with who she really was. My growing affection for Larson's portrayal of the character peaked and solidified itself during that scene.
I like associating Larson's approach to the fact her character was not only a fighter pilot but also an Air Force Major. Being cool under pressure would be prerequisites for playing Danvers, which I think Larson discovered while researching the military aspect of her role on an Air Force with real-life military personnel. It is the sort of attitude I would expect in a scene showing Thor's hammer whizzing past her head and her not flinching lol.

Agree on the sequence with Talos in Louisiana... That was a very good sequence.

John813

Reaction score
Watched another A24 film, The Hole in the Ground.

6/10.

I've seen a handful of their other movies so I didn't know what plot twist/who dies or who doesn't throughout the flick, so that was nice. They don't have a repeating theme which is nice.
Kept me guessing if the mom was going crazy or her kid was really her kid or not.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Alita: Battle Angel

7/10 - Good fight scenes, but the whole movie seemed hollow to me. Her relationships developed too quickly, especially with the doctor.

It ended without the big climax one would expect, so I'm guessing they're planning a second movie, at least.

All in all, it was enjoyable, but I'm glad I paid matinee price.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alita: Battle Angel

7/10 - Good fight scenes, but the whole movie seemed hollow to me. Her relationships developed too quickly, especially with the doctor.

It ended without the big climax one would expect, so I'm guessing they're planning a second movie, at least.

All in all, it was enjoyable, but I'm glad I paid matinee price.
There should be a sequel. I hope they are committed enough to do a sequel. And I better not take James Cameron a decade or more to push out a sequel like he has done with Avatar. It will be pretty pathetic if the first time audiences see Ed Norton onscreen is the last time they see Ed Norton in this story.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There should be a sequel. I hope they are committed enough to do a sequel. And I better not take James Cameron a decade or more to push out a sequel like he has done with Avatar. It will be pretty pathetic if the first time audiences see Ed Norton onscreen is the last time they see Ed Norton in this story.
Another reason to expect a sequel. Having Ed Norton do little more than a cameo is severely under utilizing your assets.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another reason to expect a sequel. Having Ed Norton do little more than a cameo is severely under utilizing your assets.
It may be all wishful thinking on my part. It is resting barely (if not solidly) within Dudsville at the box office. Thus far, Alita's $312 million worldwide take is not promising and the $82 million domestic take is terrible. :( I can see the franchise getting shelved before it can even become a franchise. My opinion is still unchanged. It is a good movie in my book but good movies have tanked in the past too. Alita may not be an exception--even with the Cameron name behind it.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $82,036,291 20.8%
+ Foreign: $312,223,838 79.2%

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It may be all wishful thinking on my part. It is resting barely (if not solidly) within Dudsville at the box office. Thus far, Alita's $312 million worldwide take is not promising and the $82 million domestic take is terrible. :( I can see the franchise getting shelved before it can even become a franchise. My opinion is still unchanged. It is a good movie in my book but good movies have tanked in the past too. Alita may not be an exception--even with the Cameron name behind it.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $82,036,291 20.8%
+ Foreign: $312,223,838 79.2%
I never read the grapic novels(?) but even so, it seemed like they made some mistakes. The doctor referred to her having a human brain, but if that's the case, why are her eyes so large? Also, how can a human brain process as much information as she'd need to, in order to do control her body the way she does, and how could little more than a human head have survived in the dump?

Without explaining things like that to the new audiences, it makes it hard to really get invested in the story.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never read the grapic novels(?) but even so, it seemed like they made some mistakes. The doctor referred to her having a human brain, but if that's the case, why are her eyes so large? Also, how can a human brain process as much information as she'd need to, in order to do control her body the way she does, and how could little more than a human head have survived in the dump?

Without explaining things like that to the new audiences, it makes it hard to really get invested in the story.
My Sci-Fi Explanations Which The Actual Story May Not Corroborate

Eyes - intentionally larger for greater sensory input/necessary for surveying and evaluating threat situations instantly
Brain - computer interface capable of upload/download speeds necessary for the brain to process.
EDIT: Brain decay - slowed down incredibly long by minimal life support mechanisms in her nearly destroyed body

A non-science fiction fact: the human brain is physically capable of processing information many times faster than we are aware.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw the latest Fantastic Beasts last night and enjoyed it but then I am forgiving of anything in the Potter franchise. My primary reason to watch a movie is escapism, I want to go somewhere else for a couple of hours. So when someone creates another world as she did or Tolkien did, I am all in.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw the latest Fantastic Beasts last night and enjoyed it but then I am forgiving of anything in the Potter franchise. My primary reason to watch a movie is escapism, I want to go somewhere else for a couple of hours. So when someone creates another world as she did or Tolkien did, I am all in.

How did it compare to the first Fantastic Beasts film? I was underwhelmed by that one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How did it compare to the first Fantastic Beasts film? I was underwhelmed by that one.
It is a continuation of that storyline but this one is visually superior to the 1st one, imo. They do introduce Dumbledore in this one, Jude Law, beginning to attach the back story and connect the thread to the franchise.

But I am an easy please when it comes to fantasy and monsters as that is my favorite form of escapism. I need about 20 of those to every Schindler's List and I buy them and they are my most re-watched movies in the collection, the latest Godzilla, Kong, Great Wall, first Pacific Rim, are my go to's with a bowl of popcorn and the CC Time Machine cranked back to 1957 when I was 10. I categorize my monster movies into Big and Not Big, Big are the ones I listed, Not Big are the Alien movies, Relic, ID4 and Cowboys & Aliens and any than can hide. Big ones are easy, no place to hide them but those crafty aliens can hide, jump out and gitchya. Ya can't doze off during a Not Big monster movie and I don't. I look like a tree full of owls watching one.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually preferred the first movie over the sequel. Ezra Miller's character name escapes me right this moment but I do enjoy how they expanded upon his role in the sequel.

Side note: I really like Miller more in Beasts than in Justice League thus far.
It is a continuation of that storyline but this one is visually superior to the 1st one, imo. They do introduce Dumbledore in this one, Jude Law, beginning to attach the back story and connect the thread to the franchise.

But I am an easy please when it comes to fantasy and monsters as that is my favorite form of escapism. I need about 20 of those to every Schindler's List and I buy them and they are my most re-watched movies in the collection, the latest Godzilla, Kong, Great Wall, first Pacific Rim, are my go to's with a bowl of popcorn and the CC Time Machine cranked back to 1957 when I was 10. I categorize my monster movies into Big and Not Big, Big are the ones I listed, Not Big are the Alien movies, Relic, ID4 and Cowboys & Aliens and any than can hide. Big ones are easy, no place to hide them but those crafty aliens can hide, jump out and gitchya. Ya can't doze off during a Not Big monster movie and I don't. I look like a tree full of owls watching one.
It has its share of critics (and I hope to not stir them up with my question :p ) but how did you enjoy the giant monster seen in the first Cloverfield movie? I loved Abrams' approach.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kurt Russell?

Yeah, that's a very good, underrated movie. Great casting throughout, especially the truck driver.

It is kind of like The Vanishing with Sutherland, both very good and underrated with good casts. Oh, both main characters were named Jeff(Kiefer and Kurt) :thumbup: