Rate the last movie you saw

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sorry, I've been slacking of late.

Busy weekend:

Dr. Sleep - Pretty good, though the ending was kind of meh. It was definitely good that I re-watched the Shining the night before or I wouldn't have recalled a lot of things that were referenced or known some of the characters.
Midway - A cheap Pearl Harbor wannabe. At least they left out any kind of romantic melodrama.
Jay & Silent Bob Reboot - This one kind of saddened me. I've always been a huge Kevin Smith fan - at least before he went Copout and the just weird route. I was looking forward to a return to what I liked, but for the most part, was in a pretty constant state of :facepalm:. It's a little better in the last 3rd, but not enough to save it. And it's not an issue with me just not liking the same humor as I used to. I rewatched parts of J&SBSB a couple months ago and was cracking up and catching things I hadn't noticed before. I'm good with stupid funny, as long as it's funny. This was mostly sad attempts at funny.
I thought Midway was supposed to be a more historical telling of the events, rather than a story interwoven into the fabric of history. Apparently, I was mistaken. That's a shame, because as much as I don't really care for war movies, or even most war histories, what little I know of the Battle of Midway is fascinating and fills me with patriotic pride.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I thought Midway was supposed to be a more historical telling of the events, rather than a story interwoven into the fabric of history. Apparently, I was mistaken. That's a shame, because as much as I don't really care for war movies, or even most war histories, what little I know of the Battle of Midway is fascinating and fills me with patriotic pride.

Well, there really wasn't much story, and the characters were real people. I just meant it was kind of mindless with bad acting and action that was a pale imitation of that seen in PH.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You should check out the 1976 version with Charlton Heston and a star-studded cast.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Midway is one of those events of WWII and particularly, the Pacific Theater, that demonstrates just how close and how much risk was involved in the Allies winning that war. I cannot imagine what the level of stress on the Admirals and planners of Midway and the Generals and planners of the Normandy invasion and the Battle of the Bulge. So many points that if they got it wrong, it could reverse on them.

The part of the original Midway that fascinated me the most was the part played by Hal Holbrook, Joseph Rochefort, the man in charge of code breaking. I'd read about the real life man and his struggle within himself because so much depended on him getting it right and he had to show a completely confident and unwavering front to those making decisions based on his "conclusions" that put the lives of thousands of men at risk. What wasn't portrayed in the movie was the fact Rochefort had enemies in Washington, the codebreakers. Had Mimitz listened to them, instead of the man he trusted with the lives of the men in his command, Midway probably would have been reversed and the US Navy crippled. Even then, DC was full of scurrilous vermin more interested in their own little wars than the big one.

Midway was also the first American victory after Pearl that showed America it needed to be in the fight. Had they lost that battle, the naysayers would have multiplied by the thousands. America needed a TD and Nimitz and Rochefort gave it to them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Midway is one of those events of WWII and particularly, the Pacific Theater, that demonstrates just how close and how much risk was involved in the Allies winning that war. I cannot imagine what the level of stress on the Admirals and planners of Midway and the Generals and planners of the Normandy invasion and the Battle of the Bulge. So many points that if they got it wrong, it could reverse on them.

The part of the original Midway that fascinated me the most was the part played by Hal Holbrook, Joseph Rochefort, the man in charge of code breaking. I'd read about the real life man and his struggle within himself because so much depended on him getting it right and he had to show a completely confident and unwavering front to those making decisions based on his "conclusions" that put the lives of thousands of men at risk. What wasn't portrayed in the movie was the fact Rochefort had enemies in Washington, the codebreakers. Had Mimitz listened to them, instead of the man he trusted with the lives of the men in his command, Midway probably would have been reversed and the US Navy crippled. Even then, DC was full of scurrilous vermin more interested in their own little wars than the big one.

Midway was also the first American victory after Pearl that showed America it needed to be in the fight. Had they lost that battle, the naysayers would have multiplied by the thousands. America needed a TD and Nimitz and Rochefort gave it to them.
You should check out the 1976 version with Charlton Heston and a star-studded cast.
A while back, someone posted a documentary type clip of the chain of events in Midway. I'd never heard any of that before, and as I stated, I'm not really a fan of war history, nor do I usually care for war movies, but I found that post absolutely riveting.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A while back, someone posted a documentary type clip of the chain of events in Midway. I'd never heard any of that before, and as I stated, I'm not really a fan of war history, nor do I usually care for war movies, but I found that post absolutely riveting.
We really know only a small portion of the story behind the real events of both theaters and the decision makers at that time saw no reason to let Americans in on just how close we came to losing it. That John Wayne version best suited how they wanted us to think about that.

Eisenhower had the toughest job in American history, maybe world history. He had to balance keeping his own command happy and the allied command, particularly the English and French who did not like each other, and win the war against the greatest war machine ever created. Hell, running the country as President was a walk in the park compared to where he'd been and the personalities he'd had to appease in order to stay on the big picture.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

@MichaelWinicki Not a bad movie for a low budget one.

WWII and Occult/Demon

You can rent it for about $1.99 on Google Play right now
Or you can catch it free on Youtube. Will not post the link here as there is a flash of nudity in the movie
However if you go on youtube and search The Devil's Rock 2011 you will find it.

Again, low budget movie but if you go into it with little to no expectations it will not be bad.

No worse than Overlord movie if you have seen that one.

Zordon

Reaction score
I've been on a horror binge the last few weeks -

VVitch (7/10)
Midsommar (6/10)
Babadook (8/10)
Hereditary (9/10)

sulu1701

Reaction score

Midway they say was the turning point of the war, but what gets lost in the conversation was how important and costly the battle of the coral sea was, we lost the Lexington, and the Yorktown was damaged, but moreover, two Japanese carriers were unable to participate in the battle of Midway because of the Coral sea battle

sulu1701

Reaction score
I saw this last weekend, I thought it was great
hobbsshaw-onesheet-775x970-479x600.png

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

DeCaprio scences with Pitt - A+.
Any scene witht the annoying Manson cult or the boring Sharon Tate scenes, didn't care, so I skipped thru them. - F.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Yeah, the new Midway movie is pretty bad. It tries to cover literally everything between Pearly Harbor and Midway, and in the process glosses over everything that makes the story interesting. Admiral Spruance is barely in the movie, and he was the commander on the scene at the battle the movie is named after! His taking command over Halsey is incredibly significant (Spruance was maybe the best fleet commander in modern history, full stop), but in the movie Halsey just gets a rash and then disappears from the movie.

It's also extremely sanitized, and the battle scenes play out more like something out of Independence Day than a serious war movie, which makes sense since the same guy made both movies. The 1976 movie was more realistic with how nasty air combat back then could be, with guys getting caught in cockpit fires and getting torn up by gunfire, even though it was only PG.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
If anyone’s interested...I just by happy accident came across this 1973 documentary on Manson where obviously much of what Quentin Tarantino used in his film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood came from. Or maybe it’s been seen a lot and I just never knew...but highly recommend if anyone curious what the real people involved were like. Horribly quality though...but still worth it.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I rented off YouTube ,a couple nights ago, that 2015 Matt Damon's "The MARTIAN",,,, one of this soon to be closing out decades premier flicks
( imo) although& unfortunately after my having repeatedly viewed it when it first hit the screen, I fell asleep all 3 times I'd attempted in watching it thru in it's entirety this time around,,,er,,,but still,ya know?o_O

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The Irishman - 6.5 - Thought it was okay, but not great. Having a bunch of wrinkled up old dudes playing guys in their 20s and 30s just didn't work for me and the story felt like a rehash of other movies with a different twist.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I rented off YouTube ,a couple nights ago, that 2015 Matt Damon's "The MARTIAN",,,, one of this soon to be closing out decades premier flicks
( imo) although& unfortunately after my having repeatedly viewed it when it first hit the screen, I fell asleep all 3 times I'd attempted in watching it thru in it's entirety this time around,,,er,,,but still,ya know?o_O
I like it, myself. I thought he did a great job, though the rescue scenes at the end were pretty far fetched.

Sammy

Reaction score
Just watched Rocky. Yeah, for the first time. Pretty good. Is the rest of the series worth watching?