Rate the last movie you saw

John813

Reaction score
We saw Ad Astra this past weekend and to be honest, I think about it for a couple of days before I decided that I didn't like it.

Not Brad Pitt's finest moment - stiff and unemotional - and Tommy Lee Jones just looked tired and grumpy.

The movie plot was slow and predictable.

Not more than 5/10 from me, but we did get a free bag of popcorn.

I just read a review writing that Brad Pitt may of been playing an autistic character. Seriously

https://www.cbr.com/brad-pitt-ad-astra-autistic/

Unless you mean he just wasn't acting well.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Doesn't help it with that little outtake the studio sent to Jimmy Kimmel. He must have really pissed off some people for them to do that as revenge. I have never seen anything like that before and he was really shocked when that got played.
No idea what you're talking about, but it sounds like something I would like.

:popcorn:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NILapCu.jpg

7.0 of 10.0

Moral: Do not constantly bully mentally unstable people.

In my opinion, The Dark Knight was a masterpiece. Joker is advertised as a masterpiece but it is very much not one. However, Joker was an origin story and it does accomplish that goal.

While Heath Ledger did nail the coffin shut on the differing interpretations of the character in TDK, Joaquin Phoenix's performance buried the 1960's Batman television show nonsense six feet under. THAT is what I hoped the movie would deliver and it did.

Phoenix explores the challenges of the mentally ill in a world lacking base compassion and is defeated by it in spectacular fashion. An uncaring world helped mold a personality who sees lack of empathy as both a normal response to dealing with everyone else and is the ultimate joke.

The Joker has been called the Clown Prince of Crime but the character is no clown. He is a pathologically murderous sociopath. There was a successful attempt to convert the character into a jovial misfit who committed goofball crimes that forced Batman to stop 'before it was too late'. Phoenix has dispelled the lingering notion of that warped version. Finally.

I think Bob Kane would be proud.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched The Dark Tower and maybe I am easy to please but I liked it and I recall the critics not liking it. I thought the kid was really good in it and Idris Elba can do no wrong.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"It-Part 1" (2017)

I waited until Part 2 was on the horizon before I watched the Part 1.

I was expected more than what I received based on the various reviews and the amount of money the film brought in on it's original run.

The movie was OK, and probably would have enjoyed it more if I had not read the book– But alas I had, and ultimately I feel the movie missed or by-passed so many key points of the book that I felt short-changed.

The other two problems with the film are the editing–Way too much jumping around and the overreliance on CGI, which made several of the scares phony looking. Personally I thought they tried to force too many scares in the film and could have used a little more character development.

On a plus note, I thought 3 of the kid-characters were pretty good. The rest were meh.

Overall I give it a 5 out 10.

It's a watchable flick, just not a very-good flick.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
NILapCu.jpg

7.0 of 10.0

Moral: Do not constantly bully mentally unstable people.

In my opinion, The Dark Knight was a masterpiece. Joker is advertised as a masterpiece but it is very much not one. However, Joker was an origin story and it does accomplish that goal.

While Heath Ledger did nail the coffin shut on the differing interpretations of the character in TDK, Joaquin Phoenix's performance buried the 1960's Batman television show nonsense six feet under. THAT is what I hoped the movie would deliver and it did.

Phoenix explores the challenges of the mentally ill in a world lacking base compassion and is defeated by it in spectacular fashion. An uncaring world helped mold a personality who sees lack of empathy as both a normal response to dealing with everyone else and is the ultimate joke.

The Joker has been called the Clown Prince of Crime but the character is no clown. He is a pathologically murderous sociopath. There was a successful attempt to convert the character into a jovial misfit who committed goofball crimes that forced Batman to stop 'before it was too late'. Phoenix has dispelled the lingering notion of that warped version. Finally.

I think Bob Kane would be proud.

well said
its not a super hero movie
its a sad, dark but moving movie of mental illness turning a guy into a serial killer.
timing of it may make some people uncomfortable
phoenix did an outstanding job
you just have to understand the point of the movie.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Joker - 7/10. This is a character study, which I usually find to be terrible movies. Usually those movies are about characters who just aren't very interesting, so I'm not sure why one would want to study them. Arther Flick (Fleck?), however, is an interesting character, and he's played masterfully by Phoenix. It's a slow burn, but Phoenix hold your attention throughout.

That said, it's merely a pretty good film, not a great one. If it was connected to the rest of the DCU, I'd probably add it to my collection for sure. However, it likely wouldn't be as good of a movie. But, on it's own, I'm not sure that I'd watch it much, so I'm unsure. There is some ambiguity to things, so it might have more replay value than I'm giving it credit for. I'll have to think on it.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Saw Joker tonight. I enjoyed it. While I do feel it was a touch on the slower side overall, it still kept me intrigued, and I understand the pace as it was the audience getting a chance to see the Joker slowly being born until he ultimately snaps. I liked that they solely focused on the Joker without other character involvement too much, aside for some brief introductions to Bruce Wayne. I was curious on the age gap between the Joker and Batman though, but, from what I understand this is a stand-alone movie not really meant to be incorporated into the greater Batman universe.

I did feel Joaquin Phoenix did an outstanding job. He was much better than Jared Leto IMO. Unfortunately, I still think everybody who plays this part will continue to live in the shadow of Heath Ledger and his masterful performance.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Saw Joker tonight. I enjoyed it. While I do feel it was a touch on the slower side overall, it still kept me intrigued, and I understand the pace as it was the audience getting a chance to see the Joker slowly being born until he ultimately snaps. I liked that they solely focused on the Joker without other character involvement too much, aside for some brief introductions to Bruce Wayne. I was curious on the age gap between the Joker and Batman though, but, from what I understand this is a stand-alone movie not really meant to be incorporated into the greater Batman universe.

I did feel Joaquin Phoenix did an outstanding job. He was much better than Jared Leto IMO. Unfortunately, I still think everybody who plays this part will continue to live in the shadow of Heath Ledger and his masterful performance.
Jared Leto should never be allowed to act again, after that garbage.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep, same as Val Kilmer portraying Doc Holliday. Some actors just own a role and give it dimension not seen before. Daniel Day-Lewis did that for Lincoln as well.

visionary

Reaction score
Saw Dark Phoenix
For the record I’m a huge comic book fan (at least used to be) and X-men were my favorites

while we can find fault in anything the way it is portrayed I enjoyed the movie

7.5/10

Ducks

joseephuss

Reaction score
The Joker

I really enjoyed this movie. It is barely a comic book movie with very little tying it to the comic book world. Those tie ins could have easily been omitted and it still would have been a good movie.

Was any of it real? Or was it all in his head? Does it matter? It was a well thought out story and extremely well-acted.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cold Pursuit, HBO. It's Liam Neeson but it's quirky as hell. I still don't know if they were being serious or making fun of themselves and the guy they got to play the heavy was awful. This one has the dots all over the place and connecting them is crazy. I will say one thing, the writing was consistent.

timb2

Reaction score
Movie Critics gave the Oscar to "Shakespeare in Love" over "Saving Private Ryan" as best movie. "Raging Bull" was the Movie of the Decade(1980s) selected by them. Moulan Rouge was nominated for Best Picture.....Critics loved "Chicago"......"Joker" Best Movie of the Year"!!! NOT EVEN CLOSE>>>IT SUCKED!!!