Rate the last movie you saw

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Movie Critics gave the Oscar to "Shakespeare in Love" over "Saving Private Ryan" as best movie. "Raging Bull" was the Movie of the Decade(1980s) selected by them. Moulan Rouge was nominated for Best Picture.....Critics loved "Chicago"......"Joker" Best Movie of the Year"!!! NOT EVEN CLOSE>>>IT SUCKED!!!

It only got 68% from rotten tomatoes, which aggregates critic reviews.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always assumed critics just wanted free tickets. I have never seen a movie or not seen one based on anything they have to say. Either I am interested in seeing something or I am not.

And academy awards, or any awards for that matter, have 0 influence for me. Hollywood is full of self-affected people and all too often they salute themselves.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Studios slap a 'best picture of the year' label onto a lot of movies every year. The practice has gotten so bad during the past twenty or so years that it would not surprise me most people seeing a movie trailer with the label have an automatic dubious reaction. Personally, I think Warner Bros could have advertised Joker simply "as one of Joaquin Phoenix's finest performances" and gotten better feedback from audiences.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Studios slap a 'best picture of the year' label onto a lot of movies every year. The practice has gotten so bad during the past twenty or so years that it would not surprise me most people seeing a movie trailer with the label have an automatic dubious reaction. Personally, I think Warner Bros could have advertised Joker simply "as one of Joaquin Phoenix's finest performances" and gotten better feedback from audiences.
Remember when they got caught with false critics? They were making up names and quotes and got nailed for it.

Now, we get Fergus Entwaller of the Grand Island Gazette in Nebraska entices us with "Pure Movie Magic!!!" He really wrote "they'll have to be magicians to get an audience to appear in the theater for this one".

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It only got 68% from rotten tomatoes, which aggregates critic reviews.
I usually check Rotten Tomatoes, along with Metacritic and IMDB for thoughts behind the ratings. It can get really interesting what paid critics and audience members say about any given movie in relation to a film's collective score.

Take Joker for instance. Along with the critics score you posted, Rotten Tomatoes' Audience Score is currently 90%. Metacritic's critics and site user scores are 59 (out of 100) and 9.3 (out of ten) respectively. IMDB provides a simple flat opinion grade of 9.0 out of 10.0.. My own opinion grade of the movie seems to fall between the critics' and the previous two sites users' collective grades.

I found this brief review interesting from a Metacritic user:

https://www.metacritic.com/user/Sedanation

Sedanation Oct 3, 2019
There’s no word describe how amazing this movie is. This man deserves an award for this role. The real Joker is back!

The user gave Joker a 10 out of 10. I partly agree Phoenix deserves a nomination and would not be surprised if he wins the Oscar. Completely agree Phoenix presented the character as Bob Kane envisioned. Is Joker an amazing movie? I did not see it that way.

For me, a number of scenes felt detached from the fabric of the story. Maybe that was the director's intention. The film's underlining theme was mental illness and the audience does perceives Gotham from Fleck's perspective. The movie's visual environment (and intermixed characters) is very gray and plods along from act to act. It is almost like you, the movie go-er, gains the eyes of someone suffering from some form of schizophrenia--with everything being seen on the screen as not having the 'right' feel. It is not the cinematic approach I expected before going into the theater.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember when they got caught with false critics? They were making up names and quotes and got nailed for it.

Now, we get Fergus Entwaller of the Grand Island Gazette in Nebraska entices us with "Pure Movie Magic!!!" He really wrote "they'll have to be magicians to get an audience to appear in the theater for this one".
Studio heads do crazy things to make box office. :muttley:

visionary

Reaction score

:lmao:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Although, strictly speaking, HBO's "Chernobyl" is a minseries, it is worth mentioning in this thread.

Based, in part, on Professor Valery Legasov's personal notes (which were smuggled out of the former Soviet Union), the mini-series is a dramatization of the events leading up to, and following, the Chernobyl disaster.

After watching "Chernobyl", I reviewed a number of newspaper, magazine, other media reports of the event. Nothing, I mean nothing, came close to describing how close Chernobyl came close to turning a large portion of eastern Europe into a radioactive wasteland. A one point, the USSR employed more than 600,000 in the clean-up.

Very well scripted and acted: 8 out 10.

FWIW, the movies post-scripts state that the "official" death toll (as reported by the USSR and now, Russia) is 37. The unofficial reports range from 4,000 to 93,000.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Although, strictly speaking, HBO's "Chernobyl" is a minseries, it is worth mentioning in this thread.

Based, in part, on Professor Valery Legasov's personal notes (which were smuggled out of the former Soviet Union), the mini-series is a dramatization of the events leading up to, and following, the Chernobyl disaster.

After watching "Chernobyl", I reviewed a number of newspaper, magazine, other media reports of the event. Nothing, I mean nothing, came close to describing how close Chernobyl came close to turning a large portion of eastern Europe into a radioactive wasteland. A one point, the USSR employed more than 600,000 in the clean-up.

FWIW, the movies post-scripts state that the "official" death toll (as reported by the USSR and now, Russia) is 37. The unofficial reports range from 4,000 to 93,000.

I watched that miniseries as well and I agree it was fantastically done. I really enjoyed it and it's ability to showcase what a major disaster it was. I always knew about the event growing up but never really knew how bad it was until this show. It literally almost wiped out part of Europe. Like THIS close. Absolutely insane. I also thought it did a great job of breaking down the way nuclear fuel/waste works in laymen's terms and how it would be detrimental to the environment. Just a great show. I can't say enough about it.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score

Honestly that series is on a very very short list of the best TV ever made.

I think we had a thread dedicated to it at one point.

dreghorn2

Reaction score
I guess I missed the dedicated thread on Chernobyl. Nonetheless, thaks for the comments.

Colo i didn't mentioning the thread because i thought you should have searched for it or was surprised you missed it, i just did so because in it there were some really good comments about the series, hope you understand that i wasn't being critical.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Colo i didn't mentioning the thread because i thought you should have searched for it or was surprised you missed it, i just did so because in it there were some really good comments about the series, hope you understand that i wasn't being critical.
:thumbup:. I missed the thread, but am now looking at all the comments. HBO hit a grand slam with this series.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess I missed the dedicated thread on Chernobyl. Nonetheless, thaks for the comments.
I recorded it with the intention of watching it when all the episodes were in and then I saw the warnings to animal lovers and deleted it.

dreghorn2

Reaction score
I recorded it with the intention of watching it when all the episodes were in and then I saw the warnings to animal lovers and deleted it.

Man don't miss this series for the wrong reasons.

I am also a huge animal lover and the series handled all aspects of the accident and aftermath in a very compassionate manner.

The empathetic relationships formed between the viewer and subjects of the show were a huge part of the story telling. Strength of the series really.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I recently watched Toy Story 4 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I'm a fan of Pixar movies, especially the Toy Story series, if you liked the previous films, then I highly recommend seeing it. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Zordon

Reaction score
Parasite is the best movie I've seen this year. Highly recommend it to anybody who hasn't seen it. :omg:

I'm going to go back and watch Bong Joon-ho's catalog.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Parasite is the best movie I've seen this year. Highly recommend it to anybody who hasn't seen it. :omg:

I'm going to go back and watch Bong Joon-ho's catalog.
Cool...it’s mystery drama,and a high rating. I’ll watch it after finished Once Upon a Time in Hollywood....

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Sorry, I've been slacking of late.

Busy weekend:

Dr. Sleep - Pretty good, though the ending was kind of meh. It was definitely good that I re-watched the Shining the night before or I wouldn't have recalled a lot of things that were referenced or known some of the characters.
Midway - A cheap Pearl Harbor wannabe. At least they left out any kind of romantic melodrama.
Jay & Silent Bob Reboot - This one kind of saddened me. I've always been a huge Kevin Smith fan - at least before he went Copout and the just weird route. I was looking forward to a return to what I liked, but for the most part, was in a pretty constant state of :facepalm:. It's a little better in the last 3rd, but not enough to save it. And it's not an issue with me just not liking the same humor as I used to. I rewatched parts of J&SBSB a couple months ago and was cracking up and catching things I hadn't noticed before. I'm good with stupid funny, as long as it's funny. This was mostly sad attempts at funny.