Rate the last movie you saw

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Should've had a better name, but still a very entertaining movie.
:laugh:True Dak!
"The Quick and the Dead" 1987 starring Sam Elliott, Kate Capshaw :omg:,Tom Conti
Good Western with Sam Elliott kicking arse to save a family of pioneers.
Rating: 10 because I like it when bad guys get their heads blown off ;)
(full movie)
:thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Extraction, Netflix. If you want action, this is your ticket. Got to suspend your reality filter but what's a good action flick with a reality filter?

Just tell me that it isn't 'Olympus Has Fallen' level ridiculous. I couldn't get through the first 5 minutes of that movie because it was so over-the-top silly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"The Quick and the Dead" 1987 starring Sam Elliott, Kate Capshaw :omg:,Tom Conti
(full movie)

I just watched the Tale of Two Cities feature on the Cowboys and 49'ers last night and it was great hearing Same Elliott as the Cowboys narrator.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just tell me that it isn't 'Olympus Has Fallen' level ridiculous. I couldn't get through the first 5 minutes of that movie because it was so over-the-top silly.
I like the Fallen movies because I like Butler.

At some point, the majority of action movies got silly and one just has to suspend the reality filter into pure escapism. It's just entertainment because people don't fall off 3 a story building, land on the concrete, get up and keep fighting. They have to keep trying to wow us, like they used to do with car chases, and that takes going to new levels of suspended reality.

When I gear up for an action flick, I check my standards. and my critic's badge at the door and just go along for the ride. I did that with Stuber earlier in the week and it was a fun ride. It's like all of the John Wick movies, what are the odds that he's the only dead shot against the thousands he's killed but I still love the ride.

It keeps getting dumber but I am OK with that because I dumb myself down for action, horror or sci-fi movies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
(full movie)
the other "Quick and the Dead" with Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe and Leonard DiCaprio was a fun ride. And who can forget Lance Henriksen in any movie, I love that guy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the Fallen movies because I like Butler.

I like Butler too, that's why I even started to watch it. I was very impressed with him when he did that Phantom of the Opera movie (yes, took one for the team on that one!). And I expected him to be a leading man type more than he was especially after 300.

At some point, the majority of action movies got silly and one just has to suspend the reality filter into pure escapism. It's just entertainment because people don't fall off 3 a story building, land on the concrete, get up and keep fighting. They have to keep trying to wow us, like they used to do with car chases, and that takes going to new levels of suspended reality.

When I gear up for an action flick, I check my standards. and my critic's badge at the door and just go along for the ride. I did that with Stuber earlier in the week and it was a fun ride. It's like all of the John Wick movies, what are the odds that he's the only dead shot against the thousands he's killed but I still love the ride.

It keeps getting dumber but I am OK with that because I dumb myself down for action, horror or sci-fi movies.

I hear ya, there's certainly a certain amount of disbelief that one must have to enjoy these films, but some of them just push it too far for me and Olympus Has Fallen was one of them. It had me checked out immediately for just insulting my intelligence as the audience.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Butler too, that's why I even started to watch it. I was very impressed with him when he did that Phantom of the Opera movie (yes, took one for the team on that one!). And I expected him to be a leading man type more than he was especially after 300.

I hear ya, there's certainly a certain amount of disbelief that one must have to enjoy these films, but some of them just push it too far for me and Olympus Has Fallen was one of them. It had me checked out immediately for just insulting my intelligence as the audience.
I don't take it as insulting my intelligence because I established that by showing up. I was looking to be entertained not impressed

For every "Usual Suspects", there are 100 Fallen's or Taken's that are not clever and ask us not to ask questions. And Horror/Sci-Fi's really stretch that as they don't even feel the need to explain things fully. "Where did this thing come from that's eating people"? I asked. "Does it really matter"? They answered. Better to not know than to have it explained with something like Alien Covenant. "The Thing" came from outer space and that's good enough for me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't take it as insulting my intelligence because I established that by showing up. I was looking to be entertained not impressed

We all have our own limits regarding suspension of disbelief.

For every "Usual Suspects", there are 100 Fallen's or Taken's that are not clever and ask us not to ask questions. And Horror/Sci-Fi's really stretch that as they don't even feel the need to explain things fully. "Where did this thing come from that's eating people"? I asked. "Does it really matter"? They answered. Better to not know than to have it explained with something like Alien Covenant. "The Thing" came from outer space and that's good enough for me.

No one-size-fits-all answer, but I think that suspension of disbelief is why some films succeed while others fail. Some push it too far and the audience simply says 'No'.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all have our own limits regarding suspension of disbelief.

No one-size-fits-all answer, but I think that suspension of disbelief is why some films succeed while others fail. Some push it too far and the audience simply says 'No'.
Agree, it's all subjective.

I can't imagine why anyone would watch Will Ferrell in anything but different strokes, doesn't make me right and them wrong. It is all the other things that make me right.:cool:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Underwater

I decided to rent this one knowing that my background in scuba would probably leave me shaking my head.....it did not disappoint in that regard :muttley:

Leaving out the fact of what they did at the bottom of the Mariana Trench is physically impossible, I went in with an open mind. I love anything about the deep blue sea, so I just sat back with an open mind. About 90% of the stuff that happened that deep is completely absurd but I digress.

This movie is basically like the old, original movie Alien but 7 miles deep instead of in outer space. It is worth the $6.99 to rent but try not to dissect it like me. I give it a 6 but due to Kristen Stewart’s buzz cut......it drops to a 5 :laugh:

Forgot to add:

I like the start of these kind of movies where character development occurs and how they get down there. They weren’t having any of that and jumped right in to destruction......
So not nearly as good as The Abyss?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
(full movie)

It wasn't as exciting as the other movie by the same name, but it's a better movie.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just watched the Tale of Two Cities feature on the Cowboys and 49'ers last night and it was great hearing Same Elliott as the Cowboys narrator.
Every line he had in Roadhouse was awesome. "Damn that hurts, doesn't it?". Lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every line he had in Roadhouse was awesome. "Damn that hurts, doesn't it?". Lol

1MHc.gif

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I tried to watch Gods and Generals, but I couldn't get through it. It was tedious. I'm disappointed. It's by the same director that did Gettysburg, ,which was great, and this was to be a prequel. But the magic just isn't there. The movie just drags along. I'm a Civil War buff, but I never thought I would get bored watching a Civil War movie. If you want such a movie, watch Gettysburg, but ignore Gods and Generals.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tried to watch Gods and Generals, but I couldn't get through it. It was tedious. I'm disappointed. It's by the same director that did Gettysburg, ,which was great, and this was to be a prequel. But the magic just isn't there. The movie just drags along. I'm a Civil War buff, but I never thought I would get bored watching a Civil War movie. If you want such a movie, watch Gettysburg, but ignore Gods and Generals.
More dialogue than a Tarantino film. Stephen Lang would make a speech to a stump if no one was in attendance.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Arkansas 7/10

Pretty good movie with lots of well known actors. Ran a little long, though.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Underwater

I decided to rent this one knowing that my background in scuba would probably leave me shaking my head.....it did not disappoint in that regard :muttley:

Leaving out the fact of what they did at the bottom of the Mariana Trench is physically impossible, I went in with an open mind. I love anything about the deep blue sea, so I just sat back with an open mind. About 90% of the stuff that happened that deep is completely absurd but I digress.

This movie is basically like the old, original movie Alien but 7 miles deep instead of in outer space. It is worth the $6.99 to rent but try not to dissect it like me. I give it a 6 but due to Kristen Stewart’s buzz cut......it drops to a 5 :laugh:

Forgot to add:

I like the start of these kind of movies where character development occurs and how they get down there. They weren’t having any of that and jumped right in to destruction......
The character I was pulling for survived, so I felt satisfied for what it was.