Rate the last movie you saw

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Just watched Dark Phoenix on Disney+. I honestly don't know why people hated it so much. I even remember some people saying it was just a remake of X-Men: The Last Stand, which it certainly wasn't. Personally, I liked it better than most of the other X-Men movies. I give it a 7.5/10.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just watched Dark Phoenix on Disney+. I honestly don't know why people hated it so much. I even remember some people saying it was just a remake of X-Men: The Last Stand, which it certainly wasn't. Personally, I liked it better than most of the other X-Men movies. I give it a 7.5/10.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/rate-the-last-movie-you-saw.230222/page-264#post-9239623

I do not speak for every critic of Dark Phoenix or even the core audience of the X-Men films' franchise but that was my review.

You are certainly right. DP was not a remake of X-Men: The Last Stand. The best write-up I remember that summed up my thoughts of DP (primarily) and X:TLS really well was this Screenrant.com article (title is a link):

Dark Phoenix Improved On X-Men: The Last Stand (So Why Isn't It A Better Movie?)

Side note: I did not read this next article until just now. I have always said X-Men: First Class was the best of the franchise reboot (although I do not group Logan with them). Matthew Vaughn's directorial work really impressed me and he maximize his exceptional cast's talents to their maximum. Now I find out that Fox knew of his vision for the franchise. It makes me want to choke the snot out of someone like Homer does Bart:

X-Men Could Have Rivaled The MCU (If It Followed The First Class Plan)

There are executives at Fox who, in my opinion, were/are dirt stupid. smh.

Finally, a flashback of my nutty creativity side reflecting back at the entire X-Men franchise immediately after seeing DP:

2nCYuKw.gif

Ironically, I did not take The New Mutants as a total dud after it FINALLY released. It included the Magik character, who was played by Anya Taylor-Joy, an actress who does really well or better in anything she plays in.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Just watched a brand spanking new documentary on Showtime about Rick James. Pretty good documentary, apparently somewhere down the line he pissed off a record executive pretty bad and the executive decided to give Lionel Ritchie a bigger push and lo and behold Lionel's career took off while RJ's went on a slow decline. What a life.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/rate-the-last-movie-you-saw.230222/page-264#post-9239623

I do not speak for every critic of Dark Phoenix or even the core audience of the X-Men films' franchise but that was my review.

You are certainly right. DP was not a remake of X-Men: The Last Stand. The best write-up I remember that summed up my thoughts of DP (primarily) and X:TLS really well was this Screenrant.com article (title is a link):

Dark Phoenix Improved On X-Men: The Last Stand (So Why Isn't It A Better Movie?)

Side note: I did not read this next article until just now. I have always said X-Men: First Class was the best of the franchise reboot (although I do not group Logan with them). Matthew Vaughn's directorial work really impressed me and he maximize his exceptional cast's talents to their maximum. Now I find out that Fox knew of his vision for the franchise. It makes me want to choke the snot out of someone like Homer does Bart:

Finally, a flashback of my nutty creativity side reflecting back at the entire X-Men franchise immediately after seeing DP:

2nCYuKw.gif

Ironically, I did not take The New Mutants as a total dud after it FINALLY released. It included the Magik character, who was played by Anya Taylor-Joy, an actress who does really well or better in anything she plays in.

The writer is accurate in stating the FOX certainly had no long term plan for their X-MEN franchise. But sadly, First Class wasn’t the huge hit he claimed, despite deserving to be.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The writer is accurate in stating the FOX certainly had no long term plan for their X-MEN franchise. But sadly, First Class wasn’t the huge hit he claimed, despite deserving to be.
That is one of my personal pet peeves. In my opinion, the movie was very well done but only netted $356 million worldwide. My movie opinions are imperfect but that film is a perfect example of my never-ending internal frustration of wanting to know "What do audiences want???"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is one of my personal pet peeves. In my opinion, the movie was very well done but only netted $356 million worldwide. My movie opinions are imperfect but that film is a perfect example of my never-ending internal frustration of wanting to know "What do audiences want???"

I agree. It was a much better film than several other X-MEN films that did far better at the box office. Venom is another one that confounds me. It wasn’t a terrible film, but it wasn’t as good as the box office numbers indicate either.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. It was a much better film than several other X-MEN films that did far better at the box office. Venom is another one that confounds me. It wasn’t a terrible film, but it wasn’t as good as the box office numbers indicate either.
Agreed. And a significant waste of Tom Hardy's acting talent.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm guessing what they didn't want was a whole new cast, along with some characters being very different than they were, such as Storm. Personally, I thought it was going to be a one off movie, then return to the regular cast. I really don't care either way, but I'm sure a lot of people did, especially those who were unfamiliar with the comics. To those people, the actors probably were the characters.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I can't believe that movie still isn't out on Disney+ or one of the streaming services.

quickccc

Reaction score

2nCYuKw.gif

i couldn't even bear watching New Mutants all the way thru as it was an utter mess ..what a waste of time

i thought i had posted my own review of Dark Phoenix ..i don't see it as a remake , reboot of Last Stand either, ..but it did not address the origin of the Phoenix force, nor manifest the image and presence of the Phoenix force ... it basically show up as a veiny face on Jean Grey,.. instead of a surrounding fiery bird image
which has never been in any of the Xmen films for some odd reason. Apocalyse, Xmen United, Last Stand and now Dark Phoenix, ...

quickccc

Reaction score

i can see why the low rated bad reviews and gripes as the character development and storyline write was very much in question.
it basically formed as a special effects flick, despite the leftover cast from the 1st Class,..

If you really down for just a high flying impressive CGI special effects movie that’s also big and kin on fighting choreography scenes as well, then this is your movie.
If it’s important to also have a story plot write and character development, then you’re gonna miss those elements out of this one.

- There were even rumors that even current and ex-cast members were complaining how Kinberg was constantly rewriting the script and which probably explains why the movie’s constant setbacks and rescheduling in getting the release dates pushed back.
Plus the way Simon constructed the plot summary, developed the characters was very misplaced and disappointing.

- What obvious new specialty and uniqueness did this Xmen film have ?
Just like Last Stand a lot seemed forced and rushed as such as characters such as Jean Grey, the phoenix force,
I would have thought since Kinberg had work with past Xmen directors and should have been familiarly linked to the Xmen franchise that he also should have known what did not work with lesser critically acclaimed

- But it looked like the only matters he touched were how he can make the dark phoenix’s looks and powers stand out differently than the Last Stand’s phoenix version, and how he can give Jean Grey character far more dialogue.

quickccc

Reaction score

- I cannot recall if it was ever properly explained about the origin of the phoenix force, and why it personally targeted jean grey .. I wanted the phoenix force and Jean to have a talking to each other rapport. Where jean can explain to the force her emotions to her parents, her pain of mutant prejudice persecution, the pride of being an Xmen. Where we could “hear ‘ the force telepathically influence her why she should hate back, hurt back, why she be superior to all mutants and humans, etc.

Tell her why she should resist trust/ love. And I wanted to see her mind powers vs another telepath not named Xavier. (ala Emma Frost)
But instead of Emma, we get Vuk who is supposed alien like enemy of the Phoenix force.

- I did like the Grey vs Magneto battle off – Did like Grey vs Xavier battle off ,.. I wanted jean captured and defeated because she was so distracted ad exerted so much energy resisting Phoenix force that left her vulnerable.

- I did like some of the dark stage settings, I did not like how the final climatic final battle between alien enemy
I did wanted that epic Xavier vs Dark Phoenix mind battle showdown that was vigorously displayed in the 90’s animation series – but didn’t happen like I thought.

- The Train battle was very impressive, captivating and entertaining. Easily the high point of the film.
When I thought back at the movie, so very little development was done for Storm, Quicksilver, Nightcrawler, and even Cyclops.

(spolier alert) Raven Mystique was killed off, Magneto was simply being shown for his mutant powers,

- And I never had any no idea or explanation of what alien beings were pursuing jean grey – the trailers had me thinking the silver grey power-girl (who apparently can take over human form)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i can see why the low rated bad reviews and gripes as the character development and storyline write was very much in question.
it basically formed as a special effects flick, despite the leftover cast from the 1st Class,..

If you really down for just a high flying impressive CGI special effects movie that’s also big and kin on fighting choreography scenes as well, then this is your movie.
If it’s important to also have a story plot write and character development, then you’re gonna miss those elements out of this one.

- There were even rumors that even current and ex-cast members were complaining how Kinberg was constantly rewriting the script and which probably explains why the movie’s constant setbacks and rescheduling in getting the release dates pushed back.
Plus the way Simon constructed the plot summary, developed the characters was very misplaced and disappointing.

- What obvious new specialty and uniqueness did this Xmen film have ?
Just like Last Stand a lot seemed forced and rushed as such as characters such as Jean Grey, the phoenix force,
I would have thought since Kinberg had work with past Xmen directors and should have been familiarly linked to the Xmen franchise that he also should have known what did not work with lesser critically acclaimed

- But it looked like the only matters he touched were how he can make the dark phoenix’s looks and powers stand out differently than the Last Stand’s phoenix version, and how he can give Jean Grey character far more dialogue.
To be honest, I would've liked it less if they'd spent time developing characters we already know, but as a stand alone movie, I could see your point. But how many people watched this movie without seeing the others?

I'm not saying it was a great flick, just better than it gets credit for, IMO.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i couldn't even bear watching New Mutants all the way thru as it was an utter mess ..what a waste of time

i thought i had posted my own review of Dark Phoenix ..i don't see it as a remake , reboot of Last Stand either, ..but it did not address the origin of the Phoenix force, nor manifest the image and presence of the Phoenix force ... it basically show up as a veiny face on Jean Grey,.. instead of a surrounding fiery bird image
which has never been in any of the Xmen films for some odd reason. Apocalyse, Xmen United, Last Stand and now Dark Phoenix, ...
Were the visual effects of the Phoenix only there for the reader's sake, to show that the presence of the Phoenix was inside her? I don't remember it that well, to tell the truth. Maybe it was something the other X-Men could actually see.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
- I cannot recall if it was ever properly explained about the origin of the phoenix force, and why it personally targeted jean grey .. I wanted the phoenix force and Jean to have a talking to each other rapport. Where jean can explain to the force her emotions to her parents, her pain of mutant prejudice persecution, the pride of being an Xmen. Where we could “hear ‘ the force telepathically influence her why she should hate back, hurt back, why she be superior to all mutants and humans, etc.

Tell her why she should resist trust/ love. And I wanted to see her mind powers vs another telepath not named Xavier. (ala Emma Frost)
But instead of Emma, we get Vuk who is supposed alien like enemy of the Phoenix force.

- I did like the Grey vs Magneto battle off – Did like Grey vs Xavier battle off ,.. I wanted jean captured and defeated because she was so distracted ad exerted so much energy resisting Phoenix force that left her vulnerable.

- I did like some of the dark stage settings, I did not like how the final climatic final battle between alien enemy
I did wanted that epic Xavier vs Dark Phoenix mind battle showdown that was vigorously displayed in the 90’s animation series – but didn’t happen like I thought.

- The Train battle was very impressive, captivating and entertaining. Easily the high point of the film.
When I thought back at the movie, so very little development was done for Storm, Quicksilver, Nightcrawler, and even Cyclops.

(spolier alert) Raven Mystique was killed off, Magneto was simply being shown for his mutant powers,

- And I never had any no idea or explanation of what alien beings were pursuing jean grey – the trailers had me thinking the silver grey power-girl (who apparently can take over human form)
I agree that the train scene was the best part of the movie. When Magneto crushed the train car, I audibly exclaimed, "That was awesome!", even though I was watching by myself. lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I never had any no idea or explanation of what alien beings were pursuing jean grey – the trailers had me thinking the silver grey power-girl (who apparently can take over human form)
The aliens were the D'bari. Their motivation was stealing the Phoenix Force that destroyed their homeworld for their own purposes, which was not clearly outlined. The fate of the Phoenix's host was inconsequential.

This is my main issue with Simon Kinberg. He did not learn his lesson as the screenwriter for X-Men: The Last Stand. Kinberg said, "My biggest regret from ‘The Last Stand’ is that the Dark Phoenix story, which is the most enduring story in the history of this very esteemed saga, was given a back seat in the movie. So when I reset the timeline, I was absolutely conscious that what that would allow us to do is tell the Dark Phoenix story again.” (link)

In my opinion, one of the huge errors in a comics adaptation is corrupting a loose translation of the original material. The stories are the roadmap. There is zero need to re-invent the wheel. For example, Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame were not exact copies of Marvel legendary Infinity Gauntlet saga but the films were solidly based on the template established in paperback.

Kinberg's use of the D'bari is where Kinberg blindfolded himself and ended miles off the beaten track. Sure. The Dark Phoenix wiped out the D'bari space system in the saga but that was it for the D'bari... because... THEY WERE WIPED OUT!

Justice for their genocide was sought after by The Shi'ar, whom the D'bari were members/subjects of its star-spanning empire. Perhaps Kinberg was not up to the challenge of integrating a cosmic element into Dark Phoenix, an entity far FAR more powerful than the MCU's infamous villain Thanos. Maybe he did not have Fox's financial support (pretty likely) in creating a film worthy of the story it was based upon.

Who knows? One thing is certain. Kinberg had two significant opportunities to get the Dark Phoenix Saga right and blew both chances. Now he has two "biggest regrets." :rolleyes:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Were the visual effects of the Phoenix only there for the reader's sake, to show that the presence of the Phoenix was inside her? I don't remember it that well, to tell the truth. Maybe it was something the other X-Men could actually see.
Every living being in the universe that laid eyes on The Phoenix Force could see it. Occasionally, it was the last thing anyone saw, lol.