Twitter: Ravens moving on from Earl Thomas, Cowboys most likely suitor

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Not that good. If the Ravens believed he had any chance of helping them win even one football game, a camp fight would have been resolved without his release.

I keep remembering Derrick Henry turning him into his lead blocker.

AgonizingFaithfulIceblueredtopzebra-size_restricted.gif

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
He’s always wanted to come home. I think it could work here... I think he’d be motivated. Could be a positive for this defense. If it’s a team friendly type deal then why not.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If Jones didn't sign him before he punched a team mate I seriously doubt he'll consider signing him now after he punched a team mate. I'm sure he heard the rumors earlier this off season that said he had some outbursts in the locker room when he was in Seattle so punching isn't going to help that any.

Jerry doesn't care that much. If Thomas comes cheap, Jerry's all over it.

What player's baggage has ever stopped Jerry from a signing?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
What has ET really done since he tried to get traded to the boys besides breaking a leg and getting kicked off a team? We need to let him pass. We take of cheap reclamation projects not high priced issues.

He scored big with his brother :)

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
1-year deal. That's it.

Too much of a loose cannon to sign for longer. He'll behave on a 1-year deal because if he doesn't his career is over. Who would ever give a shot after a Jerry prove-it deal? Nobody with a sound mind, that's for sure.

I agree. I think he'll spend the rest of his career bouncing around on 1 year deals with language in the contract that will make it easy for an organization to get out of it if he acts up. If he's not willing to accept that, he may as well hang it up.

Loso86

Reaction score
they replaced cobb with lamb and quinn with griffen.

Maliek collins was replaced by McCoy and gallimore. McCoy is gone for the year.

Ross/woods were replaced by poe.

Cooper rush was replaced by Andy Dalton.

Travis frederick is replaced by Joe Looney/Tyler biadasz

Hyder/bennett replaced by aldon smith and anae

Jason Witten replaced by Blake Bell essentially with Jarwin as the starter.

sua filo and cam fleming have been replaced by cam erving and connor mcgovern.

Kai Forbath has been replaced by Greg zuerlein

Jeff heath has been replaced by Dix

Byron Jones has been replaced by diggs.

Honestly I see a lot of question marks there compared to last years roster. For starters center and left guard are going to be a work in progress I bet early in the year. Smith has a hamstring issue and Collins showed up out of shape. They seem to have depth inside and none outside and the inside guys have glaring question marks...mcgovern has never played a snap in the nfl, looney is a good depth guy but he is starting and williams is coming off a major injury. Throw in Columbo is gone and Joe Philbin is now coaching the line.

then the secondary has potential to be below average. They just seem ok across the board. No one in the secondary does any one thing really well.

The defensive line is a giant question mark to me. Lawrence is always struggling with an injury of some kind, aldon smith has not played in years and it is a very long season. Griffen is a clear improvement and so is hopefully having crawford for a full season..The rest of the guys seem like average rotational guys.

I just dont see this enormous improvement. They have changed their strength and conditioning coach, their defensive scheme and coaches and are running something similar I guess to what Moore did last year only using the west coast terminology I guess on offense. I just think this is going to be more of the same. Offensively they will move the ball up and down the field and should score a lot of points and defensively it will most likely be a wait and see but I am hard pressed to see a big improvement. Hopefully the punt return and coverage will improve, with lamb and chris jones being healthy it should but again that is wait and see.

It just sure seems to me that the Hard sell is on from the same people.
This team is mu h better than last year. The biggest replacement I didnt see was ar HC and the assistants. Besides at center were set up pretty good all around. And the future looks bright. Most of those names replaced were old and production can be replaced

DuncanIso

Reaction score
1-year deal. That's it.

Too much of a loose cannon to sign for longer. He'll behave on a 1-year deal because if he doesn't his career is over. Who would ever give a shot after a Jerry prove-it deal? Nobody with a sound mind, that's for sure.

He’s at the end of his career.

he needs to sign as many guaranteed contracts as possible.

find a way to get released as soon as possible.

sign another.

rinse.

repeat.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where I was with this yesterday Friday and honestly, I*'m still not sure. I def think he still has enough left to play at a decent level. What's troubling for me is losing the support of his Raven teammates. Not just losing their support but they wanted him off the team. Not sure I've seen this since the issue between T O and the Eagles. So to me ........his next team needs to find out where his head is and what happened with his raven teammates.

Absolutely, any team wanting to sign Earl needs to investigate what really happened. This recent incident from the outside looks a lot like when Steve Smith punched his teammate in Carolina. Some players are just so competitive that they allow their emotions get the better of them at times. Outside of his last days with the Seahawks, he was suppose to be a great leader and teammate. This late in the game, especially with these circumstances, he is probably going to have to sign a 1 yr deal to repair his image. This is a great opportunity for the Cowboys to get home and on the cheap. If he becomes an issue within the locker room, just cut the cord.

Flamma

Reaction score
So many red flags regarding signing ET. But, what if he ends up with the Eagles or Patriots? For some reason, I didn't mind him in Baltimore. But, I cringe at the thought of him playing at an all pro level with the Eagles or Patriots.

I'm with you on him with the Eagles. But I couldn't give a Damn about the Patriots.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
What has ET really done since he tried to get traded to the boys besides breaking a leg and getting kicked off a team? We need to let him pass. We take of cheap reclamation projects not high priced issues.
Yes the broken leg was unfortunate. However, before that, he was making plays for them (especially the game against the Cowboys).

if a secondary player tackles, ints, pass defensed are high, that meant teams didnt fear that player.

Last yr, he was only targeted 13 times, allowed 5 and got 2 picks and no tds. Sounds like a top 5 fs to me.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not that good. If the Ravens believed he had any chance of helping them win even one football game, a camp fight would have been resolved without his release.

From what I've read it sounds like he was hurting more than helping. If no one wanted him around that means he was a cancer. Can't have everybody uncomfortable with what they are doing because of one player.

Dre11

Reaction score
I stood on the mountain for Earl to be signed here LAST SEASON, you had his coach here, who needed a qb of his secondary and the man that ran his defense/ secondary wanted to come here, went out of his way to tell the world that. Now, if the cowboys bring him in would be so Stephen, you're possibly signing him a year too late, because you wanted him cheap. compared to last season, I'm pretty much in the camp of I don't care either way.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike McCarthy said the Cowboys have had talks about Earl Thomas but would not characterize the team's level of interest in any way. He said that is more for Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones and Will McClay to discuss. McCarthy said he has been pleased with the safety play in camp so far.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy said the Cowboys have had talks about Earl Thomas but would not characterize the team's level of interest in any way. He said that is more for Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones and Will McClay to discuss. McCarthy said he has been pleased with the safety play in camp so far.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Hopefully they are slow playing this to avoid getting sucked into a bidding war like he clearly wanted (and got) last time.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This team is mu h better than last year. The biggest replacement I didnt see was ar HC and the assistants. Besides at center were set up pretty good all around. And the future looks bright. Most of those names replaced were old and production can be replaced
Lol

slick325

Reaction score
Tampa Bay could be a suitor. They have a good team on paper and their starting FS (Jordan Whitehead) is a 4th rounder in year two in the NFL. He could be someone they think is replaceable at that position. Who knows?