Twitter: Ravens moving on from Earl Thomas, Cowboys most likely suitor

Carson

Reaction score
None of that is accurate.

What suggest otherwise at this point?

Big Mike pretty much said we have discussed but are ok with our 80. Clarence Hill, Fish, Patrik Walker all saying the same thing at this moment in time

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What suggest otherwise at this point?

Big Mike pretty much said we have discussed but are ok with our 80. Clarence Hill, Fish, Patrik Walker all saying the same thing at this moment in time

The part where you suggest that it's always been "media driven" and the Cowboys have never had real interest. That's patently false.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, MM says he's very confident with the current 80 man roster, he's pleased with the safety play in camp so far and asks, "How does the player fit into you locker room?"

Sounds to me like MM is sending a loud and clear message to Jerry to not sign Thomas.

If I had to categorize it? I'd call it 'public negotiations'. Effectively letting Thomas know that if he's still chasing money, he can chase it somewhere else.

Carson

Reaction score
Oh, no problems then.
:thumbup:

My own opinion is that there is a measure of interest, but the team isn't about to pay big money.

That is how I feel as well.

Im sure certain players every team has an interest to a certain degree. Just who is willing to pay a little more lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
My feelings have not changed, if he is willing to come in on a cap friendly deal then great. When I say cap friendly I don't mean vet minimum what I do mean is not some highest paid safety in the NFL, to me that is a non starter.

MikeB80

Reaction score
it’s not just replacing players, it’s filling vacant spots. They didn’t have Quinn or Frederick or Witten in 2018 and were actually better. Position by position is useless without factoring in scheme, preparation and coaching! Plus game management.. a glaring issue for years! That Crew you’re so impressed with just went 8-8. lol I don’t know how this team will ever top that?

who said anything about impressed and I have stated many times last years staff was thrown together because garret was a lame duck.

your arrogance about how good this team and staff is tells me all I need to know. And in 18 they had crawford and gregory which I think was a better pair than quinn out there getting pushed around.

Scheme changes are big deals. It appears the offensive scheme is the same and the defense is going to be more aggressive.

I just do not get why everyone is so optimistic without seeing anything yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is how I feel as well.

Im sure certain players every team has an interest to a certain degree. Just who is willing to pay a little more lol

If I had to peg a 'favorite'? My money would be on San Francisco.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
4cj103.gif

MikeB80

Reaction score
I’ll sum it up

-Not the same player
-Not a great fit in Nolan’s scheme
-Obvious upgrade over what we have
-Is he mentally ok
-He is likely out of our price range once again

is nolan's scheme that much different than wink martindale's? McCarthy has said repeatedly the safeties are interchangeable as they seem to be everywhere in this era.

he is a malcontent and the discussion should stop right there but i do not believe the scheme is an issue at all.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
If I had to categorize it? I'd call it 'public negotiations'. Effectively letting Thomas know that if he's still chasing money, he can chase it somewhere else.

Good point. I never thought of it that way.

As long as MM is on board and it's a contract with language in it that the Cowboys can get out of easily if he acts up, for a reasonable price, I'm on board. Otherwise, I say pass.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. I never thought of it that way.

As long as MM is on board and it's a contract with language in it that the Cowboys can get out of easily if he acts up, for a reasonable price, I'm on board. Otherwise, I say pass.

That's right where I'm at.
:thumbup:

At this point, I'll be surprised if he ever ends up in Dallas.

Carson

Reaction score
is nolan's scheme that much different than wink martindale's? McCarthy has said repeatedly the safeties are interchangeable as they seem to be everywhere in this era.

he is a malcontent and the discussion should stop right there but i do not believe the scheme is an issue at all.

was simply telling the poster what most was said in the thread

Big_D

Reaction score
who said anything about impressed and I have stated many times last years staff was thrown together because garret was a lame duck.

your arrogance about how good this team and staff is tells me all I need to know. And in 18 they had crawford and gregory which I think was a better pair than quinn out there getting pushed around.

Scheme changes are big deals. It appears the offensive scheme is the same and the defense is going to be more aggressive.

I just do not get why everyone is so optimistic without seeing anything yet.

you ran through that entire list like they were all downgrades. Witten should’ve stayed retired absolutely moronic not to get the younger long term player more time. Frederick wasn’t the same, Quinn was terrible against the run. Heath? lol

I see a MUCH better football coach who might actually take special teams serious, maybe be able to actually manage a game clock? That would be cool to see? Someone adept at Xs and Os? Plus depth along the D line, the LVH move to the middle. Good young corners. Probably the top WR in the draft paired up with 2 pretty dam good ones already and topped off with the fact that the previous crap coach is finally gone. after 13 years too long.

you already have the QB saying they didn’t play smart, players around the league calling out the simplicity on both sides of the ball.. for years, FAs saying they came here because of the coach. But somehow you need to see more? This team got better the minute they dropped Garrett. Team being the key word while you just give your rundown on individuals and individual statistics that never amounted to anything!

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me if he ends up in Dallas this time. But I agree with those who say SF seems to make the most sense. I could see Philly or Oakland as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
First, he isnt coming here cheap, and if he does, and plays well...that'll end up as another problem.

Secondly, I don't see the need to rush to add this guy just yet given the circumstances.

As badly as I want to upgrade that spot, it almost makes sense to wait until final cuts to see if anyone better doesnt end up loose...maybe due to cap concerns for next year.

On the bad news side, Thomas is an upgrade over ANY safety we have in camp right now, even though he is clearly on the downside of his career.