Twitter: Ravens moving on from Earl Thomas, Cowboys most likely suitor

75boyz

Reaction score
they replaced cobb with lamb and quinn with griffen.

Maliek collins was replaced by McCoy and gallimore. McCoy is gone for the year.

Ross/woods were replaced by poe.

Cooper rush was replaced by Andy Dalton.

Travis frederick is replaced by Joe Looney/Tyler biadasz

Hyder/bennett replaced by aldon smith and anae

Jason Witten replaced by Blake Bell essentially with Jarwin as the starter.

sua filo and cam fleming have been replaced by cam erving and connor mcgovern.

Kai Forbath has been replaced by Greg zuerlein

Jeff heath has been replaced by Dix

Byron Jones has been replaced by diggs.

Honestly I see a lot of question marks there compared to last years roster. For starters center and left guard are going to be a work in progress I bet early in the year. Smith has a hamstring issue and Collins showed up out of shape. They seem to have depth inside and none outside and the inside guys have glaring question marks...mcgovern has never played a snap in the nfl, looney is a good depth guy but he is starting and williams is coming off a major injury. Throw in Columbo is gone and Joe Philbin is now coaching the line.

then the secondary has potential to be below average. They just seem ok across the board. No one in the secondary does any one thing really well.

The defensive line is a giant question mark to me. Lawrence is always struggling with an injury of some kind, aldon smith has not played in years and it is a very long season. Griffen is a clear improvement and so is hopefully having crawford for a full season..The rest of the guys seem like average rotational guys.

I just dont see this enormous improvement. They have changed their strength and conditioning coach, their defensive scheme and coaches and are running something similar I guess to what Moore did last year only using the west coast terminology I guess on offense. I just think this is going to be more of the same. Offensively they will move the ball up and down the field and should score a lot of points and defensively it will most likely be a wait and see but I am hard pressed to see a big improvement. Hopefully the punt return and coverage will improve, with lamb and chris jones being healthy it should but again that is wait and see.

It just sure seems to me that the Hard sell is on from the same people.

Another quality post.

Go Cowboys

Big_D

Reaction score
they replaced cobb with lamb and quinn with griffen.

Maliek collins was replaced by McCoy and gallimore. McCoy is gone for the year.

Ross/woods were replaced by poe.

Cooper rush was replaced by Andy Dalton.

Travis frederick is replaced by Joe Looney/Tyler biadasz

Hyder/bennett replaced by aldon smith and anae

Jason Witten replaced by Blake Bell essentially with Jarwin as the starter.

sua filo and cam fleming have been replaced by cam erving and connor mcgovern.

Kai Forbath has been replaced by Greg zuerlein

Jeff heath has been replaced by Dix

Byron Jones has been replaced by diggs.

Honestly I see a lot of question marks there compared to last years roster. For starters center and left guard are going to be a work in progress I bet early in the year. Smith has a hamstring issue and Collins showed up out of shape. They seem to have depth inside and none outside and the inside guys have glaring question marks...mcgovern has never played a snap in the nfl, looney is a good depth guy but he is starting and williams is coming off a major injury. Throw in Columbo is gone and Joe Philbin is now coaching the line.

then the secondary has potential to be below average. They just seem ok across the board. No one in the secondary does any one thing really well.

The defensive line is a giant question mark to me. Lawrence is always struggling with an injury of some kind, aldon smith has not played in years and it is a very long season. Griffen is a clear improvement and so is hopefully having crawford for a full season..The rest of the guys seem like average rotational guys.

I just dont see this enormous improvement. They have changed their strength and conditioning coach, their defensive scheme and coaches and are running something similar I guess to what Moore did last year only using the west coast terminology I guess on offense. I just think this is going to be more of the same. Offensively they will move the ball up and down the field and should score a lot of points and defensively it will most likely be a wait and see but I am hard pressed to see a big improvement. Hopefully the punt return and coverage will improve, with lamb and chris jones being healthy it should but again that is wait and see.

It just sure seems to me that the Hard sell is on from the same people.

it’s not just replacing players, it’s filling vacant spots. They didn’t have Quinn or Frederick or Witten in 2018 and were actually better. Position by position is useless without factoring in scheme, preparation and coaching! Plus game management.. a glaring issue for years! That Crew you’re so impressed with just went 8-8. lol I don’t know how this team will ever top that?

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
Like someone else already said, he said he wanted to play for the Cowboys but still chased the money. If he was going to do that he didn't have to say anything.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Absolutely, any team wanting to sign Earl needs to investigate what really happened. This recent incident from the outside looks a lot like when Steve Smith punched his teammate in Carolina. Some players are just so competitive that they allow their emotions get the better of them at times. Outside of his last days with the Seahawks, he was suppose to be a great leader and teammate. This late in the game, especially with these circumstances, he is probably going to have to sign a 1 yr deal to repair his image. This is a great opportunity for the Cowboys to get home and on the cheap. If he becomes an issue within the locker room, just cut the cord.

1000%........can he sign a contract with his next team BEFORE grieving whether or not the Ravens should pay his entire salary???

You exactly right, he didn't have locker room issues with the Seahawks. It was more contract/injuries. But whatever happened with the Ravens, he's damaged goods now like you said. In fact, couple teams have already said they have NO interest. MM just admitted they've talked about it but say it's Jerry and/or Stephen call. Perfect window to shut any chance of ET coming here to rest, but HE DIDN'T.

aria

Reaction score
This would be a classic old school Jerry move. Sign a locker room cancer past his prime to make some waves and get little return.

ET isn’t worth the headache. Pass please.

blueblood70

Reaction score
1000%........can he sign a contract with his next team BEFORE grieving whether or not the Ravens should pay his entire salary???

You exactly right, he didn't have locker room issues with the Seahawks. It was more contract/injuries. But whatever happened with the Ravens, he's damaged goods now like you said. In fact, couple teams have already said they have NO interest. MM just admitted they've talked about it but say it's Jerry and/or Stephen call. Perfect window to shut any chance of ET coming here to rest, but HE DIDN'T.
ahh my Naïve friends, the ones that say they have no interest have the most interest. :)) its an okiedoke

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully they are slow playing this to avoid getting sucked into a bidding war like he clearly wanted (and got) last time.

:hammer:

If the team ultimately does have any interest at all, it needs to be on their terms. Which means at their price. If Thomas is simply out for all the money that he can get - as he has shown in the past - he can look for that elsewhere.

I've already learned a few things:
  1. He's not as good as he used to be
  2. His attitude isn't what it once was
  3. He's got stuff going on off the field
  4. He's not the locker room and leader he once was
Add it all up and any deal would be a pay-as-you-go thing and the first sign of an issue and you cut him.

Wood

Reaction score
Like someone else already said, he said he wanted to play for the Cowboys but still chased the money. If he was going to do that he didn't have to say anything.

thats why we find out if he really wants to play for Cowboys or if that was just marketing ploy. Problem is now he isn't as good as he was in Seattle. Only had 49 tackles last year and 2 ints - not great and not terrible but that is different player now. He is losing his leverage by the day due to his age. BTW: he plays SS safety now so number he signs for won't be that high.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Remember this ?????? This is why I think he signs here.........chance to finish his career as a Cowboy

Avril: Everybody knows Earl Thomas loves the Cowboys
Published: Jul 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM
wvxg3nqhx25n0kr1npmz.png

Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer

When training camps open later this month, one of the offseason mysteries left to solve is whether All-Pro safety Earl Thomas will suit up for the Seahawks in September.

Dallas' refusal to part with the No. 50 overall pick might have scuttled chances of a draft-day deal, but former Cowboys scout Bryan Broaddus -- now a writer for the team's official website -- recently expressed the opinion that a trade "still is in play."

Former Seattle pass rusher Cliff Avril's recent interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio will do little to dispel the notion that Thomas-to-Texas remains a possibility.

"Everyone in our locker room knows that Earl loves the Cowboys," Avril said. "I mean, he grew up in Texas. That's just who he is. He will leave immediately after work just to catch them play on Monday Night Football. You know what I mean? So we understand that. We didn't take it too serious."

Thomas raised eyebrows around the league when he invited the Cowboys to "come get me" after a late-December clash between the two clubs. Although he went on to downplay that dalliance with Dallas, his former teammate's comments suggest Thomas still harbors a deep yearning to play for his hometown team.

Coach Pete Carroll insists the Seahawks are counting on the six-time Pro Bowl selection to remain a nucleus player. There has been no progress on a new contract, however, leaving Thomas' status in question.

The last remaining superstar from the famed Legion of Boom secondary has stated on separate occasions that "money talks" and his future in Seattle is a "guessing game."

We could be guessing right up to the start of the 2018 season.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I have been a big, big, fan of ET since his Longhorn days, but given my respect for the Ravens overall stellar reputation as an organization, I have some serious concerns about ET's mental makeup and off the field character.

It's one of those situations where you'll put up with a guy if he's killing it on the field. When he's no longer that same player his issues become not worth the bother.

Some folks have been dreaming about Thomas for so long they haven't noticed his age and declining play.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
The Ravens are really the ones with egg on their face. Thomas signed a ridiculous contract with them, glad the Cowboys didn't pay it. Now they can have him for almost nothing and if he comes in and stays sane, it will be a windfall. Clearly an upgrade to a position that has absolutely killed us for years. I am not against it at all, just questioning the guy's sanity a little.. he's not getting younger either but anyone saying he wouldn't be an upgrade is a dope. LOL
Definitely comes off as taking a few too many shots to the head.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's one of those situations where you'll put up with a guy if he's killing it on the field. When he's no longer that same player his issues become not worth the bother.

Some folks have been dreaming about Thomas for so long they haven't noticed his age and declining play.

IDK....I think most understand he's not the same player but if his head is right, he's certainly an upgrade for us IF he's not demanded starting $$$$. If we already had a starter who was a high draft pick or showing ALL-PRO potential, then I'm passing but that's not the case. So even ET 70-75% of what he used to upgrade the room IMO.

J-man

Reaction score
So I'm obviously not reading all 37 pages of comments on ET and I'm wondering what ya'lls consensus is?
Does he fit the new scheme? Do we still really want him? What's the most we should offer? Will he sign here for that amount or not?

My opinion is he can play in this system and probably quite well, so yes I'd sign him. But not for more than $2-$3 mil base salary with incentives that could go to $5-$7 mil on a 1yr deal.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
So once again, Earl is completely media driven to Dallas and we continually lack actual interest
Yeah - any time you can print "Cowboys" in a football article, it's clicks and interactions. It's always sexy content.

I don't think a deal gets done myself, because Earl wants top dollar and always has.

Carson

Reaction score
So I'm obviously not reading all 37 pages of comments on ET and I'm wondering what ya'lls consensus is?
Does he fit the new scheme? Do we still really want him? What's the most we should offer? Will he sign here for that amount or not?

My opinion is he can play in this system and probably quite well, so yes I'd sign him. But not for more than $2-$3 mil base salary with incentives that could go to $5-$7 mil on a 1yr deal.

I’ll sum it up

-Not the same player
-Not a great fit in Nolan’s scheme
-Obvious upgrade over what we have
-Is he mentally ok
-He is likely out of our price range once again

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's where I'm at as well.

If you can get him in the bargain range that you did McCoy, Poe, Smith, and Griffen? Sure, sign him on a pay-as-you-play deal where you can cut him if he acts up.

But if another team wants to pay big money or make dumb guarantees like Baltimore clearly did?

I'm out.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
So, MM says he's very confident with the current 80 man roster, he's pleased with the safety play in camp so far and asks, "How does the player fit into you locker room?"

Sounds to me like MM is sending a loud and clear message to Jerry to not sign Thomas.