Ravens put non exclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Nooo........a lesson on a 100% guaranteed contract. They a basically saying Watson's deal, like Cousin, was a rare exception. In other words, a lot of extraordinary factors impacted Watson and Cousin's total guaranteed contracts. On the other hand, Lamar is trying to get the same type of deal via normal circumstances/negotiations. The owners are speaking loud and clear here.....100% guaranteed contracts will not become part of the norm.
Any fans/media trying to make this about anything other than the contract structure he's demanding ( race, economics) is misguided IMO.

I'm willing to bet a red penny the Ravens practically offered him anything he wanted, including the top 3 highest paid average, but NO 100% guaranteed contract.
Exactly! This is about fully guaranteed money.
If he drops that part, he's signed by the Ravens or any other number of teams who want him.
But he's not getting a fully guaranteed contract, unless a franchise goes stupid like Cleveland.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
This is what the Cowboys should've done with Dak. Smart move.
Allegedly, the owners have gotten together and basically agreed that their will not be another Watson type signing for any quarterback going forward.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Nooo........a lesson on a 100% guaranteed contract. They a basically saying Watson's deal, like Cousin, was a rare exception. In other words, a lot of extraordinary factors impacted Watson and Cousin's total guaranteed contracts. On the other hand, Lamar is trying to get the same type of deal via normal circumstances/negotiations. The owners are speaking loud and clear here.....100% guaranteed contracts will not become part of the norm.
Any fans/media trying to make this about anything other than the contract structure he's demanding ( race, economics) is misguided IMO.

I'm willing to bet a red penny the Ravens practically offered him anything he wanted, including the top 3 highest paid average, but NO 100% guaranteed contract.
Like I said, market value. He's making the mistake of thinking Watson reset the market. Perhaps if he hired an agent he'd know that's not the case?

I don't know what his mom does for a living, but I'm guessing she's not the most qualified person to advise him in a negotiation of this magnitude.

Havic

Reaction score
Texans or Washington but in reality this is a very raiders kind of move

Forneymike

Reaction score
Who wouldn't be lining up to give 2 1st rounders for Jackson?

For comparison Denver gave up just last year to get Russell Wilson.....
  • 2022 9th overall pick
  • 2022 40th overall pick
  • 2023 1st rounder
  • 2022 2nd rounders (2)
  • Noah Fant
  • Drew Lock
  • Shelby Harris
Atlanta, Miami, and Carolina all have said no to 250 million guaranteed and losing two first rounders

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Exactly! This is about fully guaranteed money.
If he drops that part, he's signed by the Ravens or any other number of teams who want him.
But he's not getting a fully guaranteed contract, unless a franchise goes stupid like Cleveland.
This ........plain and simple

mattjames2010

Reaction score
EXACTLY! Smartest owner in football right now. Did not cave too the mediocre QB as a team I know..............................nevermind.
I mean you're talking to a guy who thinks the league SHOULD pay mediocre QBs huge contracts like this because they must.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Translate........they wanted him to see it for himself, he's not getting a 100% guaranteed deal from NO team. Notice how quickly the QB-needed team responded. I'm assuming they have tried to convince him but he didn't believe them.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
More teams need to start doing this.
I see what you're saying but this isn't the norm IMO. I'm pretty sure the Ravens are 99% certain no team is offering him the 100% guaranteed deal he wants and if he drops that demand to get an offer from another team, they will gladly match it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Who wouldn't be lining up to give 2 1st rounders for Jackson?
For comparison Denver gave up just last year to get Russell Wilson.....
  • 2022 9th overall pick
  • 2022 40th overall pick
  • 2023 1st rounder
  • 2022 2nd rounders (2)
  • Noah Fant
  • Drew Lock
  • Shelby Harris
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Giants finalizing a 4-year/$160M deal with Jones (same as Dak) so my guess is Jackson is going to want something like a 4-year/$200M deal with a lot of it guaranteed.

Jets were rumored to be looking at trading for Rodgers but they should shift their attention to Jackson and do not be surprised if they do a crazy Browns-like deal for Jackson (aka a poison pill type deal) which Baltimore refuses to match and in turn, the Jets give up the #13 pick this season and their 1st next season.
Poison pills are not allowed anymore.

Adreme

Reaction score
I mean it makes sense. There are probably not a lot of teams looking to fully guarantee a record contract to a player who has been out significant time the last 2 seasons. The Ravens know this and now basically have him on a 2 year 68m deal.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
LOL, stop it, they’ve won nothing recently
They've won 16 playoff games and 2 SBs in their history. The Ravens didn't even exist the last time Dallas got beyond the divisional round, but yeah, let's laugh at them.