Ray Rice of Rutgers

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1731497 said:
Said this in another thread, but I know you love a good FB so I will repeat it here...

If you watch WVU play, it is hard not to come away from the game loving WVU FB Owen Schmitt. Guy is just a great full back with power, speed and pretty good at catching the ball out of the backfield in a H-Back role.

Now I know we probably won't draft a FB this next draft but would love to see him playing for the Cowboys. Guy reminds me of Moose.

Reaction score
I believe McFadden will be long gone by the time Dallas picks so looking at the choices out there I'm a Mike Hart fan and I wouldn't exactly be mad if Ray Rice was drafted by Dallas...

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1731497 said:
Said this in another thread, but I know you love a good FB so I will repeat it here...

If you watch WVU play, it is hard not to come away from the game loving WVU FB Owen Schmitt. Guy is just a great full back with power, speed and pretty good at catching the ball out of the backfield in a H-Back role.

Now I know we probably won't draft a FB this next draft but would love to see him playing for the Cowboys. Guy reminds me of Moose.

I hope you caught that hurdle he just did...

marchetta

Reaction score
dbair1967;1731474 said:
I liek Rice...he is a good RB, but there are several others I'd rather have than him because I dont believe he is any better than MBIII or brings anything really different to the table...I'm pretty sure JuJo wont be back so we will probably need a 2nd RB (or a starter f they keep MBIII in his same role) and I'd rather have someone who is more of a gamebreaker... David

BP said the only reason that MBIII wasn't his #1RB was because MBIII was too valuable of a 3rd down back. When we resign MBIII, he's going to warrant #1RB money, therefore he's probably going to be the primary ball carrier. So, getting a guy like Steve Slaton would make a lot of sense, since he projects to being a great 3rd down NFL back. Simply put, Slaton complements MBIII a lot better than R.Rice does. While I like R.Rice better as a NFL RB prospect, he's not what we need, unless we're going to keep MBIII's role the same. Personally, I would love to see R. Rice and MBIII sharing carries for a whole season. They're both physical backs that don't go down after initial contact. R.Rice runs with the patience, balance, and vision of Emmitt Smith. As you can, tell I'm conflicted. Do you take the better RB (R.Rice), or the guy that fits your need better(S.Slayton)? I don't know.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
marchetta;1731529 said:
BP said the only reason that MBIII wasn't his #1RB was because MBIII was too valuable of a 3rd down back. When we resign MBIII, he's going to warrant #1RB money, therefore he's probably going to be the primary ball carrier. So, getting a guy like Steve Slaton would make a lot of sense, since he projects to being a great 3rd down NFL back. Simply put, Slaton complements MBIII a lot better than R.Rice does. While I like R.Rice better as a NFL RB prospect, he's not what we need, unless we're going to keep MBIII's role the same. Personally, I would love to see R. Rice and MBIII sharing carries for a whole season. They're both physical backs that don't go down after initial contact. R.Rice runs with the patience, balance, and vision of Emmitt Smith. As you can, tell I'm conflicted. Do you take the better RB (R.Rice), or the guy that fits your need better(S.Slayton)? I don't know.

I suffer the same confliction. Exactly.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
marchetta;1731536 said:
That was the "Leonard Leap."

Yep...only adding 2 inches and 30 lbs. Obviously making it even more impressive, albeit ill advised.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1731426 said:
It has been said before on this forum, he reminds of Emmitt Smith. The announcers just said he patterned his style after Emmitt and that Emmitt was his favorite to watch growing up. The kid is so much fun to watch.

Steve Slaton, the other great RB in this game for WVU, broke a 38 yarder. Unreal speed even when he has to make a cut.

I get to see more Big East football than most. Have also compared Rice's running style to Emmitt. I think he may be a tad quicker and very similar size. Could use a year in NFL weight room -

Slaton reminds me of Tony Dorsetts running style. Very fast and can cut at full speed. I have a slight concern on him in the NFL as he seems to struggle if nothings there.

I'd love a Rice and Barbarian backfield. But I fear Rice goes off top 10 when its all over.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1731474 said:
I liek Rice...he is a good RB, but there are several others I'd rather have than him because I dont believe he is any better than MBIII or brings anything really different to the table...I'm pretty sure JuJo wont be back so we will probably need a 2nd RB (or a starter f they keep MBIII in his same role) and I'd rather have someone who is more of a gamebreaker...

David

We need another RB that can grind a defense. Rice is another great red zone runner and consistently gets something out of nothing. He is very fast into holes and tough to get down. He may not be a 99 yard threat but realistically with NFL Defensive team speed, the homerun 70 and 80 yard runs are rare.

cowboy625

Reaction score
Rice is a beast. He is the best in my opinion. Kind of hard to get hype at Rutgers. LT came out of TCU, so you know how that goes.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Most of the teams likely to be drafting in the top 10 have more pressing needs then RB. Houston and the Jets are probably the most likely to go after a RB.

Miami
Cincy
Philly
St Louis
Atlanta
San Fran
NO
Minnesota
NYJ
Houston

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;1731629 said:
That's nice and all, but what does it have to do with this thread?

Some people could not see the WVU vs Rutgers game because they were stuck with a big 12 game.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I still think that we'll be picking in the top ten with Cleveland's pick.

I believe that McFadden will be available to us. Not many teams picking high really need a RB. DL and QBs will go pretty high.

I really like McFadden, but I wouldn't sneeze at Rice or Slaton. But my second favorite prospect is Jonathon Stewart of Oregon. Wow, he's a strong dude. He's built very well (5-10 230). He just had a Barber-type run on 3rd and 15 where he carried three USC tacklers for the first down.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1731640 said:
Some people could not see the WVU vs Rutgers game because they were stuck with a big 12 game.

Ahh, I see.

Meh, they didn't miss much, as it really wasn't much of a game. The Rutgers receiving corps should hang their heads in shame. They must've had 12 drops in that game.

Rice and WVU looked good though.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Another TD for Stewart.

Oregon 24
USC 10

I'm telling you guys, this Stewart guy is a pretty good back.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Bizwah;1731642 said:
I still think that we'll be picking in the top ten with Cleveland's pick.

I believe that McFadden will be available to us. Not many teams picking high really need a RB. DL and QBs will go pretty high.

I really like McFadden, but I wouldn't sneeze at Rice or Slaton. But my second favorite prospect is Jonathon Stewart of Oregon. Wow, he's a strong dude. He's built very well (5-10 230). He just had a Barber-type run on 3rd and 15 where he carried three USC tacklers for the first down.

...but....do we really want TWO Barbers?

I hear what you're saying though, Stewart is a damn good looking prospect. He looks like a 30+ carry every down back.

There are multiple guys on this Oregon squad I like.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
tomson75;1731647 said:
...but....do we really want TWO Barbers?

I could think of a lot worse things to have. I would love to have 2 guys that just keep pounding the other team, especially given the size of our Oline.